Fondue - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-26-2003, 02:23 PM

Does anyone have any good Veg Fondue recipes or ideas?

I'm allergic to Peanuts, so the Peanut Fondue recipe won't work.

Thanks

Ross
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-26-2003, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't tried this but maybe some sort of tahini and nutritinal yeast concoction might work. Or better than cream cheese blended with a vegan mozzerlla ?
#3 Old 12-26-2003, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got a nice fondue set for Xmas, so I'm looking for some good ideas too. In the meantime, my thoughts are to use veggie broth and cut up broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, to boil it in. Or for a less healthy alternative, make up some kind of batter and fry the veggies in canola oil, if that will work. I don't know what could replace cheese .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-26-2003, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and I'm sure some creative things could be done with tofu and tempeh...
#5 Old 12-27-2003, 12:17 AM

I found this recipe at vegparadise.com

PISTACHIO FONDUE

A quick meal, a family dinner, or a company dish, this surprisingly light fondue will quickly become a favorite. It also doubles well as a sauce for such varied dishes as grains, baked potatoes, steamed artichokes, baked tofu, and as a topping over vegetable casseroles. Serve this along with some whole grains and a salad to round out the meal.

1 C. (237 ml) raw pistachios, shelled

2 1/2 C.(598 ml) unsweetened soy milk

1 1/4 t. salt

2 T. nutritional yeast flakes

Freshly ground black pepper

Pinch of cayenne pepper

Grind pistachios in several batches in an electric coffee grinder, and set aside.

Combine soy milk, salt, nutritional yeast flakes, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a 2-quart (2 liter) saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, uncovered, watching carefully to prevent boil-over.

Add ground pistachios to bubbling mixture a little at a time, stirring with a wire whip until thickened, about 2 minutes. If necessary, lower heat slightly to prevent burning.

Allow fondue to rest about 15 to 20 minutes. Gently reheat if needed. Makes 3 to 4 servings.

NOTE: Leftovers store well in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve in small bowls and accompany with steamed vegetables for dipping, such as broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, thick zucchini slices, thick yellow crookneck squashes, button mushrooms, green beans, asparagus spears, or carrot sticks.

Extra firm tofu cut into cubes and browned in a little olive oil and Tamari also makes a tasty item to dip into the fondue. Steamed tempeh cubes can also be dipped.

If someone tries it, let me know how it turns out please?
#6 Old 12-27-2003, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

There's always chocolate fondue!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 12-27-2003, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah what rabid_child said. Yum!

As for cheese fondue, couldn't you make a cheesy nut. yeast sauce to simmer and dip bread into? Sounds like it could work...

ETA:

Chocolate Fondue

1 & 1/3 cups light corn syrup

1 cup Silk creamer

4 cups (24 oz) vegan chocolate chips

1 tsp vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, bring the corn syrup and creamer to a boil over medium heat.

Remove from heat, and add chocolate chips and vanilla, stirring until mixture is thick and smooth.

Serve in a fondue pot or in a heatproof bowl on a warming tray,

stirring occasionally.

Chocolate fondue dippers can include chunks of cake, cookies,

fruit slices, whole strawberries, chunks of pineapple, banana pieces, etc.

Cheeze Fondue

6 oz soy cheddar, shredded

8 oz soy cream cheeze

1/4 cup Silk Creamer or Coffee Rich Creamer

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

In a double boiler over medium heat, put cheeze and cream cheeze.

Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth.

Add rest of ingredients, and heat, stirring constantly until thoroughly blended.

If too thick, add more creamer.

Continue stirring until smooth and hot.

Put in a fondue pot, and keep hot.

Serve with chunks of french bread on fondue forks.

Haven't tried these yet...let me know if they work!
#8 Old 12-28-2003, 02:56 AM

I often make a gravy that would probably serve well as a fondue.

Pour a tablespoon of olive oil into a pan over low heat. When hot, stir in a tablespoon of flour. Let the mixture (a roux) slowly cook for a couple minutes, occasionally stirring to prevent the roux from burning. When it develops a nutty aroma, add a minced clove of garlic and a bit of white wine. Stir and add more wine until the sauce is slightly wetter than you'd like. Salt and pepper to taste. I like to skip the salt and use Bragg's liquid aminos. Soy sauce would also work. Of course you could flavor it however you like; basil, rosemary, mushroom, more garlic, etc. Cook for a couple minutes over medium heat. Serve hot. It will thicken as it cools.

-wm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page