Your egg replacements - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-25-2003, 06:01 PM

What are you replacing eggs with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

i use pureed tofu a lot when baking. the first time i used it to replace egg in choc. chip cookies they turned out even better!! i do use the powdered egg replacer at times. also, ground flax seed and water. just depemds on what i am making and what i have on hand.
#3 Old 12-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Good question- Ive been having a real hard time with that too. I just tried my second recipe for cornbread w/o eggs. Just like the first it didn't rise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-26-2003, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually use for cookies the combo of 2 T water, 1 T canola oil, and 2 t baking powder. It worked great in my christmas cutout cookies.

However I tried it in a cake and the cake came out very wet. It was Kreeli's choco cake from her site....
#5 Old 12-26-2003, 01:02 AM
Veggie Regular

For pancakes I use a heaping tablespoonful of apple butter. For muffins I use juice concentrate--it takes the place of eggs, oil and sugar. They're great! I've used flax seed meal glop for breading things, but I don't do that often.
#6 Old 12-26-2003, 02:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually use half to three-fours of a banana in really heavily flavored cakes (like chocolate) or a mix of baking powder, water and soy milk. I've never tried flax seed goop but I've heard it works really well and doesn't flavor the recipe that much
#7 Old 12-26-2003, 03:42 PM

I prefer using tofu in things like brownies, etc. I've tried other egg replacers (including ripe bananas) and just think tofu works the best of the bunch.
#8 Old 12-26-2003, 05:58 PM

I use Ener-G, but the recipes are written as such and there are recipes that use tofu as the eggs and some recipes have no "eggs" at all..... It depends
#9 Old 12-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

flax seed & water goop. I used to use ener-g but thought I might go with something that would also add fiber & some omegas. It works very well in everything I've tried - cookies, cakes, pancakes, waffles, muffins, cornbread, etc... and I never taste the flax.

I've never tried the tofu trick - are you guys using water-pack or silken tofu? soft? firm? extra firm?
#10 Old 12-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Depends on what I am making, for muffins/cookies it's usually powdered egg replacer or else flax seeds, i've also used applesauce a few times. The cake that I usually make just uses vinegar and baking soda and that always works out great.
#11 Old 12-27-2003, 11:02 AM

Yeah, my favorite chocolate cake is the Moosewood Cake and it uses vinegar and I have even made it with applesauce in place of half of the oil, it is so good. I have even used fructose and splenda in place of the sugar called for. It is well loved by Omnis and they can't beleive it is Vegan and egg and milk free. My Mom's Omni BF who is very picky and will only eat certain things loved it.

http://www.geocities.com/kathyflake/...VeganCake.html
#12 Old 12-27-2003, 11:07 AM

Tofu in cookies or pumpkin pies... you can use silken or firm waterpacked. Tofu Cookies are really good and soft, here is that recipe (from Deborah)http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipe...ges/67141.html

Here is another that reminds me of Marie Oser's Tofu Cookies

http://morinu.com/recipes/categories...estTimeout=500

Here is a Tofu Pumpkin Pie (use maple syrup, it is great)

http://morinu.com/recipes/categories...estTimeout=500
#13 Old 12-27-2003, 11:50 AM

Here are Marie's Chocolate Chip Tofu Cookies, low in fat and very good

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/soy/messages/13833.html
#14 Old 12-28-2003, 01:13 AM
Veggie Regular

For the flaxseed/water replacer, how long should it be blended for?
#15 Old 12-28-2003, 04:28 AM
Veggie Regular

About 30 seconds or so? Until it is consistent & goopy. If you don't blend it long enough, the water will still be separated from the flax. I usually do it for about 30 - 40 seconds which is plenty. It is all one consistent mass of goo after that.

amy
#16 Old 12-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

About 30 seconds or so? Until it is consistent & goopy. If you don't blend it long enough, the water will still be separated from the flax. I usually do it for about 30 - 40 seconds which is plenty. It is all one consistent mass of goo after that.

amy

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page