Savory breakfasts? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I need to start packing my own breakfasts to avoid drive-through hashbrowns; I don't want to be a french-fry vegan.

The thing is, while I know eating some fruit for breakfast is probably optimal, I can't really stand the taste of sweet stuff first thing in the morning. Pretty much rules out most cereals, oatmeals, muffins, etc...

Anyone have some good suggestions for a more savory (salty/spicy?) breakfast I can make in a hurry?

PS: We don't use a microwave, so fast-heating stuff is out. And I'm a farmer, so I have chores before my day job; something I can pack for breakfast (maybe even the night before?) and go to work with would be totally awesome. I'm rarely hungry at the crack of dawn when I have to get up, but I'm starving by ten.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

What about polenta with veggies on top?

Thumbs-up to not being a French-fry vegan. I will pray to spaghetti monster for that.
#3 Old 10-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
What about polenta with veggies on top?

Sounds good, I'll have to give it a shot! Or maybe alternately make some veggie grits with peppers, onions, etc... (sort of like polenta). I hadn't even thought of that, thanks!

Quote:
Thumbs-up to not being a French-fry vegan. I will pray to spaghetti monster for that.

It is a pain to find good breakfast stuff when you're not really a sweet-tooth kind of person...I don't even take sugar in my coffee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a fan of brown rice with beans (usually black) and corn for breakfast. It's filling and you can season it however you like it. (I like mine a bit on the spicy side.) I make it the night before and heat it up in the morning.

Breakfast doesn't really have to be a "breakfast food". Some mornings I mix it up and have a Boca burger, or leftover pasta with sauce. Toast with peanubutter is also nice on occasion.
#5 Old 10-02-2009, 02:56 AM
Veggie Regular

toast with unsweetened natural nut butters like CASHEW BUTTER.mmm.

savoury oatmeal! with marmite stirred in?

tofu scramble?

i'm not very good with listing savoury breakfast ideas, since i have to have something sweet for breakfast.
#6 Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 AM
Banned

Steel cut oats cooked in a slowcooker/crockpot over night and then topped with pickled jalapenos is tasty, takes no time in the morning and really keeps you going all morning.

Similarly, heating refried beans overnight in the slowcooker and then assembling a quick bean and soya cheese and salsa burrito will get you out the door in no time.
#7 Old 10-02-2009, 03:51 AM

Hummous and lettuce sandwiches are one of the best breakfasts ever! I normally have a piece of fruit too but you could easily just miss that out.

You can use flavoured hummous too, and try changing the bread between slices, bagels, pittas and rolls to make it more interesting.

ETA: Most days my breakfast is porridge/oatmeal with PB or some nuts on the side and about 2 tbs unsweetened soy milk (I eat a banana seperate but not with the porridge so it doesn't make the oats sweeter or anything)- it's not exactly savory but I wouldn't call it sweet either, assuming you use no-sugar PB & unsweetened soy milk. I'd probably count it more as a "neutral" type breakfast than anything particularly sweet or savory.
#8 Old 10-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a friend who swore by mixing cup a soup packets into oatmeal

You are actually fortunate here as this would be a golden chance for you to get in more vegetable into your diet! How about making a big batch of soup in the crockpot every Sunday and packing a serving into the thermos every day before you leave for work?
#9 Old 10-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been a bit of an avocado freak lately..lol I like toasted sprouted grain bread w/ avocado on it and a sprinkle of salt, pepper and garlic powder....I'm also a garlic freak.
#10 Old 10-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys, these all sound fabulous! I can't wait to play around with them!
#11 Old 10-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Chili w/ cornbread muffins or toast? Another great crockpot dish. Can be frozen very well too. Another thought is making a tofu quiche and loading it with whatever veggies and/or meat substitutes strike your fancy.
#12 Old 10-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Chili w/ cornbread muffins or toast? Another great crockpot dish. Can be frozen very well too. Another thought is making a tofu quiche and loading it with whatever veggies and/or meat substitutes strike your fancy.

Man, chili as a winter breakfast sounds like the best thing ever. And I am addicted to cornbread muffins anyway, that'll give me a good excuse to make them!

I have never made a tofu quiche though, so I'll have to look into it. We JUST made our first batch of seitan the other day, and we've never prepared tofu, so we're still experimenting with the "mock meats"...
#13 Old 10-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
and we've never prepared tofu

tofu bacon....my new love
#14 Old 10-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellye View Post

Man, chili as a winter breakfast sounds like the best thing ever. And I am addicted to cornbread muffins anyway, that'll give me a good excuse to make them!

I have never made a tofu quiche though, so I'll have to look into it. We JUST made our first batch of seitan the other day, and we've never prepared tofu, so we're still experimenting with the "mock meats"...

The way I make my tofu quiche is to take a block of soft tofu, puree it in a blender with a little water so it's smooth. Then I sautee some onions and garlic and miscellaneous veggies in a little olive oil, season with salt, pepper, a little nutmeg and herbs. Mix that in with your tofu and bake in a lightly oiled pie dish at about 375 for 45mins or so, until it sets up. You don't even need to fuss with making a crust if you don't want to.
#15 Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I love this thread! I am a savory-type breakfast fiend myself. I have to admit I often have leftovers from dinner for breakfast by "freshening" it up with a couple of extra veggies. I also love savory oats, soup or bread with any veggie spread (e.g. olive, pepper, etc) and tofurkey sausage.
#16 Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Man, I've never been a savory breakfast person myself because I have a GIANT sweet tooth, but there are some tasty ideas here! I'm going to have to try some of these out.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#17 Old 10-02-2009, 12:30 PM

I do quick breakfasts during the week (oats, cereal, granola and fruit w/ soy yogurt) but I like to make breakfast scrambles on the weekend. Scramble up either tofu or eggs, add fresh diced tomato, avocado and garlic. Top with salsa, hot sauce and black beans. Makes a good southwest style scramble. Depending on what veggies and mock meats you have you can make a large variety of scrambles.
#18 Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

*makes a list of breakfasts to try out*

You guys are the bomb!
#19 Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post

I had a friend who swore by mixing cup a soup packets into oatmeal

What a unusual concept. Personally, I have never tried savory oatmeal. I'm not sure why. Sometimes I used to make creamy polenta/grits sometimes and mix in veg*n sausage crumbles and cheese and veggies though. It was kind of like an omelet in a cup.
#20 Old 10-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Holy delicious! I'm totally making a tofu quiche this weekend for dinner so that I have breakfast leftovers. I work this weekend.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#21 Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 PM

Thankies for the awesome ideas....I dont usually eat breakfast bad I know....so I am trying.....lol
#22 Old 10-04-2009, 04:02 AM

I forgot to mention- I've eaten marmite porridge before, which was edible, although I can't call it my favourite thing to eat.

Lentil shephard's pie is also someinthg I eat quite regularly as a weekend breakfast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page