Vita-Mix thread: What do you make in your Vita-Mix? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Healthy recipes and great ideas you've come across? Raw foods, smoothies, green drinks, soups...what do you like to make in your Vita-Mix...let's hear it!

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

My favorite is banana whips (either plain frozen banana or with other fruit added in like blueberries, strawberries, mangoes).

I have a juicer, too, so I may do less than others in my Vita-Mix.

I'll make smoothies with fresh OJ, mangoes, and strawberries, ice if needed.

I have made gourmet treats but those are high fat and less optimal so I don't do those as often.

I like to make guacamole (if I'm eating avocados as the time) with avocado, lime juice (fresh), cilantro (lots, like 1/2-1 c. per avocado!), jalapeno, and blend that all with the tamper. Then I will process tomatoes in the food processor, drain them, and mix those with the avocado mixture in a bowl. PERFECT on top of romaine leaves.

I also do spinach or green juice banana whips or banana smoothies (just adding water to the frozen banana for the smoothie, nothing else for the whip).

The tamper helps so much!

What do you like to make, Irizary?
#3 Old 09-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Mostly green smoothies. A handful of spinach (or dandelion greens), a handful of baby carrots, a banana, some apple juice to thin it out, sometimes super green food powder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

For awhile I was making a drink with fresh pineapple, kale, orange juice, and agave every morning. I kept adding more and more kale, so it kept tasting worse and worse (bitter)...until I got tired of it.

I'm trying to think of new healthy veg drinks, especially with tomato. Probably I want to make it taste good for awhile

Unfortunately I don't like bananas, so a lot of standard smoothies are out for me.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#5 Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

man, I need to get a good blender! You guys are making me jealous.
#6 Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

For awhile I was making a drink with fresh pineapple, kale, orange juice, and agave every morning. I kept adding more and more kale, so it kept tasting worse and worse (bitter)...until I got tired of it.

I'm trying to think of new healthy veg drinks, especially with tomato. Probably I want to make it taste good for awhile

Unfortunately I don't like bananas, so a lot of standard smoothies are out for me.

Hmmm... yes, I pretty much only make smoothies and they have bananas. I'll have to check back to see if anyone posts a great smoothie recipe that doesn't have bananas because I really don't like to use them - I prefer using local foods. I go on and off of smoothies - I just bought some bananas so I'm back on for now.

I've tried smoothies with greens but I can't stand them. Yuck.

Also, I sometimes make an applesauce. There are variations on the recipes but it's pretty basic:

http://community.vitamix.com/service...93024&d=162595

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/sidev...applesauce.htm

You can internet search 'raw applesauce' and get other recipes. I make my without dates or apricots but I don't mind tangy foods. I put in some cinnamin and then some kind of berry, like strawberry or blueberry, to get some antioxidants. Cinnamin is supposed to be pretty healthy, too.

I like the Vitamix because it makes smoothies really smooth in about a minute. Same with the applesauce. I don't even peel the apples.

Oh, I'm just reading through the recipe book that comes with the vitamix and there are some healthy drinks in there. Apple Ginger Snap looks good. There are some tomato ones too.
#7 Old 09-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

Oh, I'm just reading through the recipe book that comes with the vitamix and there are some healthy drinks in there. Apple Ginger Snap looks good. There are some tomato ones too.

I don't even know where that book is anymore. If anything looks really good (and healthy), post it please?

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#8 Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Apple Ginger Snap

1/2 cup apple cider

1/4 golden delicious apple

1/4 cup pineapple

1/8 teaspoon ginger root

1 1/4 cups ice cubes

That seems like a recipe that I could play around with. I'm not too big on pineapple but the rest sounds good. And ginger is supposed to be healthy, too.

I like to adapt recipes for my own use and since many Vitamix recipes are non-vegan you can improvise. Here are a ton of ideas, maybe some of them would help:

http://www.vita-mix.com/foodservice/...s/beverage.asp

Example WITHOUT a banana, lol:

Quote:
Amazing Apple Smoothie

apple sauce 16 oz. / 470 ml

apple cider 8 oz. / 240 ml

orange juice 8 oz. / 240 ml

vermont maple syrup 2 tablespoon

nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon

cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon

Yield: two 8 oz. / 240 ml servings

Combine all ingredients in a Vita-Mix® blender and blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.

I think I'll have to try that one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page