Eggplants make me sick - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to LOVE eggplants until today. While chopping up the veg for lunch, i picked up a piece that had blotchy brownpatches for further inspection. LO AND BEHOLD, i found MAGGOTS CRAWLING IN THE EGGPLANT!!! not just one, but several. then i picked up the other eggplant half, the 'normal' looking one, and managed to catch a tiny WHITE maggot worming its way back into the WHITE flesh.

AHHHH!!! they are so difficult to spot, i bet people have actually cooked maggot infested eggplants without knowing it. I SWEAR I WILL NEVER EVER EAT EGGPLANTS AGAIN.

now i just feel gross.

any yicky stories to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I once found a little worm/caterpillar inside a canned green bean, blech! I'm still leery when I eat them.

That being said, eggplant is my nemesis, can't stand those little purple guys. Makes me gag thinking about them!
#3 Old 09-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish I hadn't just read that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-11-2009, 02:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a big fan of it in the first place, so... yeah.
#5 Old 09-11-2009, 03:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Me too...I love eggplant!

I'll just be more vigilant next time I make it.
#6 Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 AM
Veggie Regular

thanks for that, I have no special love for Aubergine?/eggplant but you have put me off for now!

I have twice found maggots in pistachios - once was when I bought them from the cold storage in great world city (singapore) i dont eat pistachios anymore . . .
#7 Old 09-11-2009, 03:57 AM
Veggie Regular

as a former cook, I've seen many many of the little buggers in eggplants. They are easy to spot when you know the signs. There is always an indentation in the skin where the insect laid the eggs (i think they may be wasp larvae?). Anyway the eggplant grows around that point where she broke the skin so it gets a little dent. I look for those when I'm picking the fruit at the market.
#8 Old 09-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, I always get eggplants with small brown patchy spots on it from my local produce stand for 25 cents. They always have "clearanced" fruits/veggies that are a bit old and I snatch them up and just cut around the bad parts. I'm totally reconsidering that decision now.
#9 Old 09-11-2009, 05:47 AM
Veggie Regular

hey, as long as you cut around where the maggots are what's the problem?

the rest of the vegetable is fine
#10 Old 09-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post

hey, as long as you cut around where the maggots are what's the problem?

the rest of the vegetable is fine

true. And they leave a little trail of poo so you know where they've been
#11 Old 09-11-2009, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam antichrist View Post

extra protein?
#12 Old 09-11-2009, 06:03 AM

and maybe some B12 too.
#13 Old 09-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Veggie Regular

You've eaten plenty of maggots in your food before (whether they be whole or ground up). You just found some really obvious ones. Don't let it turn you off of a really healthy food. Other critters gotta eat too!
#14 Old 09-11-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Ditto. Ixnay on the eggplants for my pizza tonight.

Urp.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#15 Old 09-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post

extra protein?

mmm, delicious clean protein source! if i eat them, would i still be vegetarian?
#16 Old 09-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Thats pretty gross. But hey, if I've been eating them and haven't noticed well then good.

I found a worm in my pepper once. I screamed like a little girl and ran away.....

I don't do well with little critters.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#17 Old 09-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam antichrist View Post

Well that's absolutely disgusting. Maggot poop
#18 Old 09-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Beginner

I've never had eggplant, and was considering giving them a try, but after reading this, ewwwwww !!!!!
#19 Old 09-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Eww! No more eggplant on my pizza!

*this space not for sale*
#20 Old 09-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't want to make anyone squirmy, but most veggies are prone to having something wiggly wanting to invade them. Even the kale in the garden toward the end of the year has to be soaked in salt water if you want to be absolutely sure it's critter free. Sadly, once I see that they're there, I let an awful lot go to waste in my garden because I don't use sprays and can't get past the thought of the icky things.
#21 Old 09-11-2009, 08:20 PM

Bummer....Sorry You Had to deal with that....I love eggplant and the plants in my garden are going nuts so I should have a bunch soon....It would stop me from eating it too...at least for awhile.
#22 Old 09-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Yuck, that would definitely make me not eat eggplant...that image would come to mind every time I think about it.

~~Never take for granted the things in your posession, put your crown to the ground and stay in constant submission to the MOST HIGH~~~
~~ Yesterday is the past, and tomorrow is the future, today is a gift and that's why it's called the PRESENT~~
#23 Old 09-12-2009, 03:41 AM

Meh, it's gross but I wouldn't let it stop you eating aubergines if you still like them, just be more careful next time.

I've found maggots and other bugs in various fruit and veg before, it's just something you have to check for.
#24 Old 09-12-2009, 08:34 AM

I once had a maggot crawling out of the center cavity (where the pit was supposed to be) of a peach to peek at the monster who was destroying its home when I was biting into it.

From then on, I started slicing and dicing almost every fruit that I eat.
#25 Old 09-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Why did you have to post this? I love eggplant. Now I'm sad.
#26 Old 09-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

you will have to change your name I suppose
#27 Old 09-13-2009, 02:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

oh no, i'm sorry! but the truth is, the world is a terrible, terrible place, filled with bugs and icky things that lurk in edibles.

(i found a tiny bug thing in my ready-to-eat salad pack today. not fun. but we must be brave and face the horrors! dumdumdeedumm.)
#28 Old 09-13-2009, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, a bug here and there is no big deal but getting a lot all at once can be a bit traumatic Luckily I can't stand eggplant anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

I don't want to make anyone squirmy, but most veggies are prone to having something wiggly wanting to invade them. Even the kale in the garden toward the end of the year has to be soaked in salt water if you want to be absolutely sure it's critter free. Sadly, once I see that they're there, I let an awful lot go to waste in my garden because I don't use sprays and can't get past the thought of the icky things.

Ugh, kale!!! I LOVE kale.... I have it several times a week. But there is a time of year (which happens to be right now) when it is seriously buggy. As in not just a bug here and there, but big bunches of these little grey bugs and their eggs. The stuff I had the other night was so bad that I got the creepies washing it and told my husband if he wanted kale he'd have to finish preparing it because I couldn't stand it any more and otherwise I'd be throwing it out. Luckily he's not so weird about it, he just washed it off and was even checking the water it was cooked in to see how many bugs were in it to determine how well it was washed
#29 Old 09-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Yeah, a bug here and there is no big deal but getting a lot all at once can be a bit traumatic Luckily I can't stand eggplant anyways...

Ugh, kale!!! I LOVE kale.... I have it several times a week. But there is a time of year (which happens to be right now) when it is seriously buggy. As in not just a bug here and there, but big bunches of these little grey bugs and their eggs. The stuff I had the other night was so bad that I got the creepies washing it and told my husband if he wanted kale he'd have to finish preparing it because I couldn't stand it any more and otherwise I'd be throwing it out. Luckily he's not so weird about it, he just washed it off and was even checking the water it was cooked in to see how many bugs were in it to determine how well it was washed

My husband and I have that exact conversation every year about the cabbage family members that dwell in our garden. *shudders* You just can't help but look snarky at what your eating wondering "did the ALL get washed off"
#30 Old 09-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Banned

I was doing my own thing quietly and YOU are the one who created this post trying to make a big deal out of it. Keep flaming the fire. That must be what you want.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page