Scottish and English recipe suggestions please! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

My neighbor is in love with Scotland, she's visited it like 12 times over the years and if her parents weren't here she'd move there in a heartbeat. She also loves England and has visited it many times as well and when she was younger she tried to get a job there so she could stay. She's also a big Beatles fan.

On Wednesday the packers are coming to pack up our stuff, so Tuesday night my neighbor is coming over one last time for dinner and to talk and probably have a glass or two of wine and whatnot. We won't probably see each other much after that before I leave. So I was thinking that I'd really love to cook her a dinner that is scottish or english or a mix of both. But I don't know anything about English or Scottish food! Also, it needs to be vegan. And she doesn't like fish or lima beans.

Any recipes or suggestions? I'm doing an appetizer, main course and dessert. So throw any type of recipe at me that you like. Thanks!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Banned

i'm glad that she doesn't like fish if the dinner is gonna be vegan.

i think it probably has to be shortbread with raspberries and vegan cream for dessert. cos

does she do ok with vegan chicken stocks and seitan/fake chicken? if so you could do ****-a-leekie soup for your starter. if not there are all kindsa other soups. my scottish mum uses pearl barley and potatoes and leeks a lot in hers. and dumplings are good () if you don't wanna make a loaf of scottish bread or rolls.

hows about a vegan haggis with tatties (potatoes) and neeps (turnips) (turnip/rutabaga and potatoes, cooked separately, mashed separately) or rumbledethumps (mashed turnip and potatoes with wilted shredded savoy cabbage, with margarine, salt and pepper, mixed together, cooked like bubble and squeak, or baked until a little bit crispy on top in the oven- for your main course (vegan cheese on top is optional)?
#3 Old 09-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ Everything I was going to suggest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-05-2009, 04:04 AM

I was also thinking about the vegan haggis as part of the Scottish gastronomy. You could also cook some Yorkshire puddings , I think the traditional receip is ovo-lacto but you can veganize it, of course.
#5 Old 09-05-2009, 05:33 AM

starters: -

scotch broth would be good, that's what we usually have at xmas and new year. it consists of - a packet of broth mix which is usually made up of; lentils, split peas and barley, about a pound of grated or mashed carrots, 2 leeks, sometimes a potato and/or parsnip and some vegetable stock.

there's also leek and potato or **** a leekie soups

mains: -

something like a forfar bridie or a cornish pasty could be easily veganised.

a vegetable lancashire hot pot

vegetable casserole

veggie sausages and mashed potato for bangers and mash.

stovies

a vegan fry up (yup, for dinner, I know plenty of folk who eat fry up for dinner in the UK lol)

cottage/shepherds pie is pretty easy to do, I've always enjoyed this easy recipe http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getreci...=shepherds_pie

clapshot or rumbledethumps are good as a side with something like veggie haggis or anything really

dessert: -

any kind of cake with custard, treacle pudding, ginger bread, scones, shortbread, fruit crumble with custard, rice pudding, pancakes with jam

I am absolutely starving now lol, good thing it's lunch time!
#6 Old 09-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Jen, haha your right about the fish. Didn't even think about it last night (I was a bit tipsy), was just trying to remember the kinds of foods she's mentioned that she really dislikes. So obviously anything fish-y tasting I would assume would be offputting to her.

Thank you for all of the suggestions!!! I'll come back and let you know what I decide cause there's soo much to pick from. I know she likes seitan and chickpea cutlets, she also eats tofu (she primarily eats vegetarian at home and she's borrowed my veganomicon book to copy recipes and kept it for like 4 months lol). Haggis would be great, I'm not sure if she ever had the original type, but I remember her talking about them once when she was talking about one of her many trips to Scotland.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 09-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Banned

Haggis Pie (kind of like a shepherds pie but made with veggie haggis instead)

1 tbsp oil

1 leek, thinly sliced

4 tsp vegetarian gravy mix

1/2 pint water (hot)

1 1/2 tsp whole grain mustard

2 tbsp single malt whisky

1/2 lb (250g) vegetarian haggis

1 medium potato

1/2 swede

1 spur margarine

Put a pan of water to boil. Peel and dice the swede and add to the boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes then add the potato tha has been cut into chunks. Cook until swede is soft. Drain of the water and mash potato and swede together with a little margarine.

Preheat oven to 180C.

Heat the oil in a small pan and add the leeks, cook until soft. Add the water. Slake the gravy mix with a bit of cold water. When the leeks and water are boiling, add the gravy mix. Simmer to thicken. Add the mustard and whisky and stir.

Crumble the vegetarian haggis in the bottom of a casserole dish. Pour the mustard whisky sauce over. Top with the potato and swede mash. Place in the oven for about 30 minutes to brown the potatoes slighty.

-----------------------------------------------

A posh Shepherds Pie:

Ultimate Shepherd Pie with Crushed Potato

150g (5 1/2 oz) parsnips cut into 1-inch pieces

150g (5 1/2 oz) celeriac cut into 1-inch pieces

2 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces

1 sweet potato cut into 1 inch pieces

150g (5 1/2 oz) Jerusalem artichoke cut into 1 inch pieces

150g (5 1/2 oz) baby onions

1 litre (1 3/4 pints) vegetable stock

50g (1 3/4 oz) margarine, plus more to grease

2 tbsp plain flour

300ml (1/2 pint soymilk)

1 tbsp Dijon mustard

salt and freshly ground pepper

For the topping:

900g (2lb) waxy potatoes, washed and cut in equal size pieces

75g (2 1/4 oz) margarine

4 spring onions finely chopped

2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh flatleaf parsley

Method

For the topping, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 20-25 minutes until tender. Drain, then crush them roughly with a fork. Add half the margarine, the spring onions and parsley. Season and mix well.

For the pie, simmer the vegetables in the stock for 15 minutes until tender. Drain reserving 300ml ( ½ pint) stock, and keep the vegetables warm.

Heat the margarine in a medium pan over a medium heat. Stir in the flour, then slowly add the soymilk. Heat until it boils and thickens. Reduce the heat and cook for 8-10 minutes. Add the reserved stock, season and add the mustard. Mix in the vegetables.

Spoon the mixture into a greased ovenproof dish and cover with the topping. Dot with the remaining margarine. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 200C/400f until piping hot and brown and crispy on top.

---------------

Toad in the Hole

85g / 1/3 cup margarine

285g / 2 1/2 cups flour

pinch of sea salt

2 tsp baking powder

570ml / 2 1/2 cups soymilk

455g-680g / 1 - 1 1/2 lbs vegan sausages

Melt margarine.

In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, melted margarine and soymilk.

Place the sausages in a greased casserole dish. Pour the batter over them.

Bake at 245F/224C for about 15 minutes, then at 350F/180C for a further 15-20 minutes.

----------------

You could also do a traditional Sunday Roast Dinner, vegan style, with seitan roast, roast potatoes, onion gravy and yorkshire puddings:

Yorkshire Pudding

This works a treat. Serves 4.

1 cup white SR flour

1 cup wholemeal SR flour (or use plain flour and add baking powder)

1 tsp salt

2 egg replacers

1 cup soya milk

1 cup water

knob of solid white vegetable fat

Heat oven to maximum temperature. Put baking tray in oven to heat up. Melt the vegetable fat in a large baking tray until piping hot.

Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients together. Hydrate the egg replacers according to instructions on packet and stir in. Gradually add the water and soya milk and mix till smooth. Pour into piping hot tin and bake for 20-25 mins, until golden brown on top.
#8 Old 09-07-2009, 03:54 AM
Beginner

My friend has a blog which is all about taking traditional English foods and veganizing them: http://thegvc.wordpress.com

I would suggest her vegan toad in the hole. Its delicious and made with vegetable shortening. For desert, it has to be Spotted Dick and Custard! Yum I love (vegetable) suet puddings =)

If she loves Scotland, definitely go for Haggis served with some tattie scones (potato cakes to anybody not scottish or farls if you're irish) and some delicious buttered leeks.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." - Charles Darwin
http://leighonamission.wordress.com
#9 Old 09-07-2009, 04:06 AM
Veggie Regular

My vegan Scottish boyfriend says to just deep fry the heck out of everything.

Ok, sorry if I'm no help. Looks like everyone else has good suggestions.
#10 Old 09-07-2009, 04:09 AM
Banned

Oh the must super easy way to do a traditional UK-ish meal is 'Bangers and Mash'.

Just make mashed potatoes as normal, then pan fry some good tasting herby veggie sausages and serve a few sausages over the mashed potatoes topped with onion gravy and some cooked peas on the side. Very easy.
#11 Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Just make something without any flavour and over/under cook everything. Then it will truly be English
#12 Old 09-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post

My vegan Scottish boyfriend says to just deep fry the heck out of everything.

that'd about do it, yeah.

deepfried apple pie... deepfried white pudding... sorted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page