VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   Parkay margarine (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/10004-parkay-margarine.html)

annabanana 12-11-2003 07:00 PM

I'm pretty sure that parkay margarine is vegan. I also know that it is chock full of hydrogenated oils, but I want to use it for baking and the last time I checked, not too many people eat cookies for health reasons

Anyway, do you think it's okay to bake with? It says it's 'butter flavored'; might that affect the outcome of baked goods? Or should I stop posting questions asking what might happen and actually go and do it?

tearhsong2 12-11-2003 08:58 PM

Do you have the sticks or the tub? Sometimes tub margarine doesn't work for baking (has a higher water content in it and not enough oil). Generally, for baking margarine should be at least 60% oil. It might not work very well if it isn't.

smedley 12-11-2003 09:10 PM

i had heard that smart balance light is vegan. it comes in tubs and has no trans fat. i always use it for baking and have never had bad results. i just made the snickerdoodles from the holiday treats thread with it---DEEELISH!!!!!!

if someone knows that it is NOT vegan please let me know--tho it will braek my heart as i d o try to lower fat in our diets!!!!!!!!!

SunnyK 12-11-2003 09:43 PM

Fleishmann's Light (sp?) has been recommended to me as a vegan margarine. I've had 100% good luck baking with it. The only thing I don't like is that is comes in really tiny containers.

kpickell 12-12-2003 12:59 AM

The Parkay squeeze bottle is vegan, and I use that as a topping. But I believe the tubs and the sticks both contain whey.

oneness 12-12-2003 02:20 AM

I only use earth balance.

bluegrrrl79 12-12-2003 07:04 PM

I use "Mother's Margerine". My family doesn't like Earth Balance (it's too *hard* apparently), but so far no complaints about this stuff

borealis 12-12-2003 08:14 PM

Margarine is a sore subject with me ever since the #%*#@* co-op discontinued Willow Run.

Currently trying Earth Balance because I saw it for the first time the other night. Prior to that: Co-op brand (yuck, nasty), Fleishman's Light (even worse, like margarine made of water and chemicals), some other weird brand that I forget the name of (truly awful). Earth Balance is the closest to my beloved Willow Run that I have found. I wish the sticks were the longer thinner kind, rather than the shorter fatter kind, but that's such a minor issue when I think of how disgusting some of the other choices are.

I haven't tried to bake with Earth Balance yet, but I never had a bit of trouble baking with Willow Run, so I recommend it if you can find it.

kpickell 12-13-2003 03:38 AM

turns out I do have both the parkay squeeze bottle and the parkay sticks in the fridge so I checked to make sure, and the sticks do have whey in them. Just so you know. I bought em cuz I had a coupon, normally I get generic meijers brand which is vegan.

Wiccanveg 12-13-2003 11:30 AM

Smart Balance light isn't vegan, it contains whey and or casienate. I checked the tub because thats what my mom uses.

lpapagno1117 04-19-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneness (Post 284069)
I only use earth balance.

I use to use Earth balance till Irealized it contains Palm Oil. Orangutansare being wiped out for this very ingredient.So, no more Earth Balance or I can’t believe it’s not butter vegan. They allhave Palm oil. Unless they can prove otherwise,it comes from Indonesia. They say in tenyears all these beautiful animals could be wiped out.

I'm using Parkay Squeeze.

Mr. H. 04-19-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smedley (Post 283811)
i had heard that smart balance light is vegan. it comes in tubs and has no trans fat. i always use it for baking and have never had bad results. i just made the snickerdoodles from the holiday treats thread with it---DEEELISH!!!!!!

if someone knows that it is NOT vegan please let me know--tho it will braek my heart as i d o try to lower fat in our diets!!!!!!!!!

Smart Balance Light is vegan. but IMHO I think Earth Balance is better for baking.