How do I tell my parents? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-17-2009, 08:08 AM

I am a vegetarian. My parents are already against that (somewhat). I, now, want to become a Vegan but I don't know how to convince my parents to let me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 AM

Hmm...that could be difficult. I would say your best bet is to do your research before you go to them--at least if they're the type that will listen to reason? There are a lot of good books out there on vegetariansim/veganism. And the American Dietetic Association position paper says that veganism is appropriate for all life stages. Here's a link to their position paper:

http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm

Of course, you might also want to assure your parents that you know how to get all the vitamins and nutrients that you need. You probably also need to assure them that you are up to preparing your foods if they're not willing to cook specially for you. You could make up a list of foods that you can cook for yourself or that can be modified so that they can just add meat/cheese to their portions.

There are a lot of threads here about vegetarians and vegans trying to live with omnivores, so you might want to look through those. Whatever you do, good luck!
#3 Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 AM
Veggie Regular

all that convinced my dad was sheer determination, and proving him I wasn't doing it for the 'label'. Unfortnately, partly due to my weak will, this involved a year of minimally eating lacto-ovo foods and frequently bringing up I was still interested in veganism, and then, after a year, declaring I was going vegan. He was much more accepting the second time I asked. But when I was minimally lacto-ovo I was doing 99% of my own shopping and cooking anyway, and although he NOTICED (because soy milk appeared in the fridge, and I refused cakes he brought me almost always, etc) he couldn't really complain. Do you do your own cooking? Your parents can't really complain if it's no extra work and as a poster mentioned above, prove it won't impact your health.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-20-2009, 02:19 PM

I agree with isowish- when I jumped into veganism I still lived with my parents, and they "accepted" it on the terms that I did my own cooking and (for the most part) bought my own foods (anything specifically vegan-friendly, like fake meats or cheese). Prove to them that you're serious about it by taking the initiative to suggest or even prepare vegan-friendly meals for the whole family; one of my parents biggest concerns was that my veganism would be a burden on the rest of our family members. Proving that it would not be helped them in accepting it.

Good luck!
#5 Old 03-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

if you could sit down with your parents and let them know how serious you are that would probably be best. make sure you have all reasons figured out ahead of time with support coming from sources that are unbiased like medical journals. that ADA paper ritz mentioned is a great start. also, try to think of all possible objections ahead of time and counteract them with well thought out and researched answers. good luck! i hope it works out well for you.

http://www.butikiteas.com
#6 Old 04-16-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Faye*69 View Post

I am a vegetarian. My parents are already against that (somewhat). I, now, want to become a Vegan but I don't know how to convince my parents to let me.

Hey Faye, I think you should just be honest with them, I mean they have got used to you being a vegetarian I take it, but I dont know your situation, My family couldnt understand why I wanted to become a vegetarian as I was raised in a big meat eating family, there views are it isn't a meal if there isn't meat in it =l They should respect what you want to believe in.
#7 Old 04-18-2009, 07:15 AM

As a parent, if my child came up to me and asked me to sit down and have a talk with him/her and presented solid supportable facts pertaining to veganism (assuming I wasn't a vegetarian or a vegan) in a calm and mature manner, I would probably want to go and do some checking up on the facts he/she gave me. If they upheld what she/he told me and I felt confident that my child was serious enough, could or would do some or all of their cooking, and they did their homework on nutrition... I would support them and probably buy them books on it for us both to refer to, I might even buy a cookbook or two... ;¬)

Good luck love!!!! *Smile*
#8 Old 04-18-2009, 11:34 PM

My parents really couldn't say no, since I buy my own food, and I do pretty much my own cooking, I'm going vegetarian, I almost finished a book on it so I'm getting a clear picture of how I should arrange me diet. Honestly when you are dependent on someone else it makes it more difficult, not that I'm saying you shouldn't but You have to be willing to do what you have to in order to get what you want. It took me a while before I got a nice job and then I decided I'm going to pay for my own food or at least most of it. Plus I cook for myself, I have been doing that for long time, but I think if you want to take this step, To pursue it Try giving it your best shot, Have facts ready be prepared for objections, have ideas about what problems might occur and have a solution, that is agreeable. Of course you need to be mature but also realistic, I know quiet a few dreams of mine have been shot down because its not time for them yet, I still have college to take care of and I need that finished first.
#9 Old 04-19-2009, 12:13 AM

I just straight up told my parents and they thought I was joking(they were anti-veg too). After about a week of staying with this new diet they started to notice that I was being serious. At first they tried to stop me by arguing all the usual arguments, but because all the refutes to those arguments can easily be found online I just looked them up for help.

Yes I was being made fun of and at times even be called foolish or dumb for doing so, but eventually they calmed down about it and eventually accepted my strange new diet(and they are kinda almost starting to support it, maybe).

for instance, just today I came back from work and my mom had bought me all these vitamins and supplements to make sure I was getting all the proper nutrients, and then she sat down with me to teach me how to eat vegetarian the right way. Most of this stuff I already knew but I could tell she actually did some research on her own to help me out.

Moral of the story is:

1. Be strong and stick with it. Remember there is strength in numbers and I'm sure the people in these forum far out number the number of people in your family. We'll back you up anyway we can.

2. Breaking the Ice is always the hardest part, you can either go loud or quiet but once you tell them you'll be glad you did and that its over.

3. You never know, maybe because of your decision someday your family and friends will look into this and do a little research of there own and decide to be vegetarian too!

Can't really think of anything else to say except, Welcome to Veggie Boards!!!

Edit: Sorry, somehow didn't notice that your already a vegetarian (this is my official blonde moment of the week). I'll leave my original post up because its like a great piece of art or something (it also might be useful for someone, somewhere).
#10 Old 04-19-2009, 05:19 AM

I agree-I went vegetarian at 16 and my parents were upset at first-telling them was the hardest part, but I was working P/T, bought my own food and cooked it, and took my mom to talk to the people that ran the natural-food store I shopped at.

After a couple weeks my mom got the hang of cooking for two and they realized how much money they were saving by buying meat for two instead of three...they could make smaller meals and so they gave me part of the savings to buy my groceries with and the rest went into my college account. Hey-they dropped from $600 a month in groceries to around $250-It was a BIG chunk, LOL! They never went vegetarian, I wound up omnivorous again after a couple of years when I got married but I am back to veg now and the health problems I had after going back to meat have disappeared since I took it back out!

Good Luck Sweetie, stick to your guns and be calm and thorough with your details.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page