new to VB and looking for vegan shoes in Toronto - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-06-2009, 07:41 AM

Does anyone know where in Toronto I can find good quality non-leather shoes that can be worn in an office? Payless has not been reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

http://ourfaves.com/place/1039299/left-feet-toronto

ETA: Oh yeah, welcome to VB and stuff like that.
#3 Old 03-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't have any help with the shoes, but I wanted to say hi anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-06-2009, 08:09 AM

thanks and thanks - I keep meaning to get over there
#5 Old 03-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Banned

if you're anywhere like browns or stoneridge, rocketdogs often has synthetic leather styles, and the quality is really decent for a fashion brand. i know some of their fall styles (including really cute mary janes and flat pumps that i desperately want but can't fit my annoyingly wide feet into ) are knocked down from about $90 to $30 and still around from the sales.
#6 Old 03-06-2009, 09:51 AM

hey thanks but I don't believe your feet can possibly be as wide as mine! It's impossible to find shoes unless it's a fluke. Sometimes Payless has wide shoes, but not always - and the quality is pathetic.
#7 Old 03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeb View Post

hey thanks but I don't believe your feet can possibly be as wide as mine! It's impossible to find shoes unless it's a fluke. Sometimes Payless has wide shoes, but not always - and the quality is pathetic.

i feel your pain. don't write the rocketdogs out though. they do have some superwide styles sometimes. i have loads of them. good luck anyway. shoeshopping is one of the most fun and yet tormenting things out there- at least this weekend you won't be doing it in a blizzard.
#8 Old 03-06-2009, 11:48 AM

I checked and it's quite a website - www.rocketdogcanada.com - tx
#9 Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Isn't there a Shoeseum in Toronto? Maybe they have some advice.
#10 Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Steele View Post

Isn't there a Shoeseum in Toronto? Maybe they have some advice.

i'm scared to go in there lest i start smashing glass and running out the door with an armful of exibits.
#11 Old 03-06-2009, 12:01 PM

If you're up for a road trip, drive down to New York City and go to Moo Shoes.
#12 Old 03-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome.
#13 Old 03-06-2009, 05:09 PM

Have definitely heard of Moo Shoes - my home town - if I ever get back there I'll be sure to check them out. I'm stuck in Toronto tho...and am going to check Chinatown as I am unemployed. Thanks.
#14 Old 03-06-2009, 05:30 PM

I want to move to Toronto and become a Canadian citizen.
#15 Old 03-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwayne View Post

I want to move to Toronto and become a Canadian citizen.

really? hmm.
#16 Old 03-06-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

really? hmm.

I've been thinking about it for a while. At first I wanted to move to Europe, but it would be cheaper to move my belongings to Canada. I've been to Toronto once for a weekend about 10 years ago. What's the "really? hmm." about?

I need to flee US capitalism.
#17 Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

I've been thinking about it for a while. At first I wanted to move to Europe, but it would be cheaper to move my belongings to Canada. I've been to Toronto once for a weekend about 10 years ago. What's the "really? hmm." about?

I need to flee US capitalism.

i dunno. just curious really. i'm from the UK and sort of still getting my head around living in Ontario, after a few years. other peoples perspectives are always interesting.
#18 Old 03-06-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i dunno. just curious really. i'm from the UK and sort of still getting my head around living in Ontario, after a few years. other peoples perspectives are always interesting.

8 years of "W."
#19 Old 03-07-2009, 07:23 AM

yes - but we finally got rid of him. I've been up here forever but I came here when immigration was much easier. Have you looked into it? Toronto is really quite a good city.
#20 Old 03-07-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:

yes - but we finally got rid of him. I've been up here forever but I came here when immigration was much easier. Have you looked into it? Toronto is really quite a good city.

I was being sarcastic about "W." We didn't get rid of him, term limits created after FDR got re-elected 3 times did.

I am going to look into it. If you have any suggestions that could steer me in the right direction, it would be appretiated.

Their are many more reasons why I want to move besides "W" and US capitalism, however I don't feel like writing volumes.
#21 Old 03-07-2009, 02:34 PM

Yes I knew about the 2 term limit. Be warned, Toronto is just another North American city - biggest difference is the medical.

A friend of mine from Trinidad is trying to get his nephew up here. If I find out any tips I'll let you know. I think having a job or tons of money and/or a sponsor would help.
#22 Old 03-07-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Yes I knew about the 2 term limit. Be warned, Toronto is just another North American city - biggest difference is the medical.

A friend of mine from Trinidad is trying to get his nephew up here. If I find out any tips I'll let you know. I think having a job or tons of money and/or a sponsor would help.

The quickest way is to get married. My first choice would be SWEDEN.

The difference b/t the US and Northern and western European countries and

Canada.

Prison Industrial Complex: US prison population and cost of incarerating 2.5 million mostly non-violent "criminals"

Military Industrial Complex (A huge military budget)

Socialized medicine

Better elementary and secondary educational system

A safety net

The Religious Right Christian Evangelical Facist who want to turn the US in to a theorcracy

Abolished the Death Penalty

Reproductive rights. Conservatives are a few US Supreme court justices away from overturning Roe v. Wade

I could think of more.
#23 Old 03-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Banned

even if you do get married, its still quite the process to get in, it'll cost a few grand for the paperwork, and its not 100% secure- they can say no, and then you're married to someone in a foreign country and basically SOOL. took me about 2 years to get permanent residency going that route. i expect its a smidge harder to get into sweden than canadia too, on a gut instinct.
#24 Old 03-07-2009, 05:16 PM

A few grand for the paperwork! Wholly s**t!

I know off someone who took a different route and it took her 5 years.
#25 Old 03-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Banned

ohhhh yeah. i spent a few years sitting on my arse in canada not allowed to work, and not allowed to leave the country, (well, i could leave, but they'd not let me back in as a visitor cos it'd be obvious to immigration that i had no intention of leaving) and some time filling in forms, proving our relationship, accounting for my every move for the last 25 years to show i wasn't a security threat, etc.

plus my bf had to prove that he could financially support me, and legally promise to do so for the next 3 years (if we break up, and i walk out of the door, turn up at social services, and claim any kind of canadian benefits (somewhere to live, money to live on, etc), they'll send him the bill, and if needs be take him to court, and garnish his wages for the money)...

its a lot to look at. stress, time, finances, logistics, etc. not to say that its not worth doing, just that its not a piece of cake.
#26 Old 03-07-2009, 06:08 PM

This thread has been hijacked.

Jen, I don't need your negativity and discouragement. If it's that bad, you should of never have moved to Canada and I would suggest you move back to your country of origin and stop complaining.
#27 Old 03-08-2009, 06:34 AM

It's amazing what you miss when you turn off your computer! Guess I was really fortunate to come up when I did - I think she was just telling her experience, not being particularly negative. Anyway you sound like you know what you are doing so good luck with that. Being unemployed is not fun and when "employment insurance" finally kicks in it will not pay the bills. I wonder how the situation is in Sweden...
#28 Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

This thread has been hijacked.

Jen, I don't need your negativity and discouragement. If it's that bad, you should of never have moved to Canada and I would suggest you move back to your country of origin and stop complaining.

wow, that's harsh. I think Jen was trying to be helpful.

anyway, zoe, welcome to VB!
#29 Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

oh, pots and kettles. but yes, anyway. sorry if i took your thread off topic zoeb. how did the shoe hunt go?
#30 Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 AM

haha. I have absolutely no problem with the topic change. I agree that the response was unnecessarily harsh.

I did find a pair of wide enough and very ugly things I can wear when and if we ever get warm weather - $20 in Chinatown. I still haven't found anything for an interview in this weather, if I ever get one! Thanks for asking!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page