<-- Username says it all - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-25-2009, 02:55 AM

OMG! This broccoli is so cute!

Well hello, sorry i got distracted lol..

I'm new here, not new to vegetarianism, but recently happened across this forum. And i'm so glad! Finally there is somewhere where i'm not then odd one out!

Anyway, some background info about me: i'm turning fifteen this year, i'm a few months away from being vegetarian for around to years, and thought about it for long time before then. Unfortunately I don't know the exact day where i fully became vegetarian, which i regret as it means i can't celebrate an anniversary or anything like that.

Lately I've been considering going vegan more and more. It might not be possible, i think my mum is at her limits with the vegetarianism, but i often consider myself to be half vegan. I consume hardly any milk or eggs or cheese or the like, except for the small amounts in recipes which generally keep ingredients stuck together or something. I don't drink milk, eat egg recipes for example scrambled eggs, or cheese in large amounts. They are always blended in, and not too much. I believe this is the best i can do for now. Just lately i purchased soy milk and vegetarian cheese, this made me incredibly happy. Just these small changes/improvements meant so much. It makes me feel that someday i will go the extra step and become a total vegan. I'm not sure when and i'm not completely sure i definitely will at this point. But it is what i expect, especially by how much it is on my mind. I'm concerned about whether i won't be able to eat any products like snacks and things as they are made on machines that uses eggs and such, but after more research and once i have some experience i hope it will be easier to judge.

Now this is a complete change of topic, but does anyone get angry and frustrated beyond belief by the amount of hidden vegetarian ingredients? Silly question; i've seen threads on it. But i seriously get so annoyed and even upset; why does it have to be like this? I don't see the reason why they have to torture vegetarians further. By that i mean, make it so difficult for us to find safe foods to eat.

I am one of those vegetarians who are one of a kind in the people who surround them. All of my family and friends eat meat; everyone i know. It doesn't make me even consider giving it up. No matter how much crap i get about it (and trust me i have gotten alot), it won't change me.

Sorry if i'm rambling. I have many vegetarian-related opinions that have been kept inside, dying to come out with someone who fully understands.

I am vegetarian. I am proud. I will never go back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2009, 03:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

I hear a lot of teenagers who want to go vegan, but have trouble with their parents. Maybe you just have to do the best you can. And realize that one day soon you won't be living with your parents anymore and you'll be able to live exactly the way you want to according to you own ethics.

P.S. Yes, I think many of us get frustrated by hidden ingredients. My advice is learn to cook. That way you know everything that's in you food. And it usually tastes better too!
#3 Old 02-25-2009, 05:42 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

You mentioned about veganism and eating things manufactured on a line with nonvegan ingredients. I just wanted to say that most vegans DO consider these items vegan, if there are no nonvegan ingredients in the recipe

If you can't go vegan right now, being 'as close as possible' is a very good start, and now is a great time to learn to cook vegan foods, read ingredients, etc, so that when you are eventually in a better place in your life to go vegan, you'll have a great head start! When I came to VB I was in very much the same position as you, and I learned so much about veganism that I had no idea about, and when I went vegan (I was 17 and had been on VB over a year) I was much more prepared
#5 Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

and welcome!
#6 Old 02-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Welcome home!

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#7 Old 02-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! I get frustrated with the ingredients things at times too. For instance, why in the world are there so many things with gelatin in them? When I first went veggie, I bought some acidopholus supplements because I knew my yogurt that I liked had gelatin. Well after I got home I looked at the package and found that my supplements also had gelatin!

You live and learn, I guess. It can be a frustrating process, though.
#8 Old 02-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi IAmVegetarian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmVegetarian View Post

Unfortunately I don't know the exact day where i fully became vegetarian, which i regret as it means i can't celebrate an anniversary or anything like that.

Yeah, I converted gradually so I don't have a veggieversary either... but don't let that stop you from celebrating anyway.

Quote:
Lately I've been considering going vegan more and more...snip... after more research and once i have some experience i hope it will be easier to judge.

I'd say just do the best you can for now and continue to take things a step at a time. It gets easier with time and practice -- and it gets a lot easier when you move out on your own and have total control over what goes in your grocery cart.

Quote:
Now this is a complete change of topic, but does anyone get angry and frustrated beyond belief by the amount of hidden vegetarian ingredients? ...snip... I don't see the reason why they have to torture vegetarians further. ....

Well, I don't think it is a conspiracy to frustrate veg*ns but it sure feels like it sometimes. I suppose for someone who simply sees animals as products, taking every conceivable animal product and using it for something probably seems more efficient. In their minds, it might even seem like they're being more respectful to the animals -- like the native american approach of respecting the animal by making full use of it. (Not that I see it that way at all.)

Quote:
Sorry if i'm rambling. I have many vegetarian-related opinions that have been kept inside, dying to come out with someone who fully understands.

I know what you mean. There have been plenty of times when I've bitten my tongue rather than say what I really think and have everyone think I'm from Neptune.

Quote:
I am vegetarian. I am proud. I will never go back.

Catch a shape in the circles of my mind.
#9 Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#10 Old 02-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7dk View Post

Welcome! I get frustrated with the ingredients things at times too. For instance, why in the world are there so many things with gelatin in them? When I first went veggie, I bought some acidopholus supplements because I knew my yogurt that I liked had gelatin. Well after I got home I looked at the package and found that my supplements also had gelatin!

You live and learn, I guess. It can be a frustrating process, though.

Agreed. I have done similar things. In the beginning you really have to look at everything. Once you get accustomed to which products are "safe," it gets easier. Although then again sometimes they change their formulas, so I guess you always have to keep an eye out!
#11 Old 02-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! I'm also the only vegetarian in my social/family circle and also approaching 2 years meat-free myself.

There's nothing wrong with picking a day that works for you and celebrating your veggieversary then if that works for you. I think it's great to be able to have a day you can mark time with, even if it's just an estimation. Or not. That's totally your call.

I actually went meat-free a few days before my "official" date but ate a very small piece of beef jerky (my husband was eating it and kept offering it to me) the day before the date I use as my veggieversary, so I reset the clock. I don't think I really needed to since I was already committed and was just doing it to humor him, but it just resonated more with me the way I did it. I wanted to be "pure", I guess. Plus the 4th of July is easier to remember than the 1st of July.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#12 Old 03-09-2009, 04:51 AM

thanks for posting. sorry it took me a while to reply..

well my mum is usually alright, but my dad can be frustrating.

its awful living in a world where you aren't always respected for being different.

yes it'll be aot easier when living away where i don't have to worry about utensils that have been used with meat, or meat being cooked in the oil and stuff like that.

i must say, the cooking will be difficult though, purely cause i suck at cooking lol..

i guess practice makes perfect! at least, i hope so..
#13 Old 03-09-2009, 04:54 AM

thanks

i hope i'm replying right..

is there any way we can receive alerts through email when we get a reply?
#14 Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

Welcome to VB!

You mentioned about veganism and eating things manufactured on a line with nonvegan ingredients. I just wanted to say that most vegans DO consider these items vegan, if there are no nonvegan ingredients in the recipe

If you can't go vegan right now, being 'as close as possible' is a very good start, and now is a great time to learn to cook vegan foods, read ingredients, etc, so that when you are eventually in a better place in your life to go vegan, you'll have a great head start! When I came to VB I was in very much the same position as you, and I learned so much about veganism that I had no idea about, and when I went vegan (I was 17 and had been on VB over a year) I was much more prepared

thank you! that helps alot.

and yes even if i dont fully become a vegan, at least its better being close than far away..

and i love this forum, it so helps me with issues like this.

its great how you can get advice from real vegetarians/vegans!

only i'm still figuring out how to use it, so i hope you get this message lol..
#15 Old 03-09-2009, 05:16 AM

Welcome to VB!
#16 Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 PM

I also am the odd-one-out. None of my friends or family is vegetarian. Most of them are supportive however, not all of them though. I am also a teen vegetarian like you. My mom gets quite annoyed as well. She is constantly "can you eat this?" and "it only has a little meat in it". Haha silly omnivores. Ok well just thought I would say I can relate to what you are going through kinda. ((Veggie Hugs))

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page