Hello from Kansas! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-31-2008, 04:07 AM

Hello. My name is Dawn and I live in Kansas. My husband and I are new to vegetarianism, although I'm more strict than he is. I have been letting the kids eat meat, occasionally. They're pretty picky and meat is something they usually eat. I don't cook it for them, though; they have to get it when we're eating out or at family's houses. My husband's family is the most resistant to our "new" lifestyle and we are criticized a lot about our food choices. You'd think we joined a cult or something! I mostly changed my eating habits because of my high cholesterol level. I refuse to take statin drugs, so I've changed my eating habits and have taken up Jazzercise! I love it. I'm also a Juice Plus distributor and have learned a few things about eating habits and diets and nutrition. I'm still learning every day and look forward to some workshops within the next few months.

I also petsit and enjoy that. My dog is about a year and a half old and I've tried to feed her the veggie way, but she lost too much weight. So, I've got her back on a diet that I cook for her and also adding some very high quality dry kibble. She's put on some weight, but poor thing now thinks she's hungry all the time, even though I feed her three times a day.

My main reason I went looking for a disccusion board is for my husband. We've been eating healthier since July, but these last two months, he's been having these "spells". The most recent one was about two hours ago and he woke me up. His heart starts pounding very hard and his heartrate gets very fast. He gets very hot and red in the face, neck and chest. Then he has to have a bowel movement, very badly. If he gets up to go to the toilet, he passes out. I have to hold him up on the toilet so he can go and then lay him down on the floor to get his blood flow back to his brain. Then he usually has to go some more and then passes out again. This time, I just had him lay on the floor and got him a bucket to defacate in. (I know, gross; I'm sorry, but it's part of it) He didn't pass out at all, but gets very hot and red and feels just awful. I think part of it is not using the toilet to go into. But I couldn't have him passing out on me. He did walk into the bathroom, but I was using it and he fell onto the floor and scraped up his knees. I just don't know if this is part of the diet we're eating. He's had this happen 8 times in the past two months. The first time, he ate out of town at a salad bar, so we thought it was food poisioning. He went in an ambulance to the emergency room. I wasn't with him; he was in Nebraska and I was in Kansas. He came home two days later, still wiped out. He's woke up three times to this happening and once, just out of the shower. They diagnosd him with vasovagal syncope, but that just seems to be a fainting disorder. None of the triggers match. I think it's just a catchall to get us out of the hospital. His MD has done urine tests to test for seratonin and other hormone levels, blood tests and he wore a heart loop recorder to record his heartrate. We sent in the results and was told it wasn't "significant" enough. He also has had two EKGs and one heart sonogram and everything is fine. A few minutes after it's over, all his vitals are perfect. He's in better health than he's been in in years and he's having these problems. Anyone out there ever heard of this or experienced it? He had this problem about 15 years ago (before I met him) and he was changing his diet then, too, but trying to gain weight. Now, he's losing it (28 pounds this last 8 months or so) and having these spells. Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Banned

Hi Dawn!

I'm really sorry you and your husband are going through this, it sounds really scary and I hope you get a more helpful diagnosis soon.

The "Raising Vegetarian Kids" section of the forum has some great advice on making veggie meals that even picky kids will love. It's really common for family members to be resentful or critical when someone they love becomes vegetarian. Sometimes they come round, sometimes they don't, but it does get easier to handle aggressive meat-eaters the longer you're vegetarian. They wouldn't be bothered if they didn't care about you guys so I'd try and look at it as a positive thing, however difficult they make it!
#3 Old 01-02-2009, 08:22 PM

Thank you for your response. And I'll check into the veggie kids section. We can use all the help we can get!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page