slowly becoming Veg - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

G'day guys. My name is Shane, i'm from Australia. I am a University student in Health Sciences as well as a semi-professional football player.

i'm very glad to find this board because I am kind of isolated in real life and in my diet. Going veg is a big step for me so i'm taking several little steps to gradually get there . I'm Aboriginal (indigenous Australian) and meat is a staple food in the Aborigine diet. In the traditional aboriginal dishes, the macro-nutrients would most likely be as 70% protein, 25% fat, 5% carbs.

The reasons i'm going veg (it's quite long but hey, i have time ):

- I am quite liberal and i always believed it's a part of nature to "eat or be eaten." However, I think human beings have taken it to extreme disastrous levels especially through globalization where there are such limited standards imposed on animal farming.

Battery farming, feeding growth hormones, slaughtering without sedation.. the list of unethical acts goes on.

- Too much protein from meat is not necessary for the body and can be detrimental. Bodybuilders all recommend 1 - 3g protein per POUND of body weight. For some, 60% of their daily calories is from protein. But Bodybuilders in most cases Take Drugs. They take Anabolic drugs or supplements which accelerate the body's absorption of protein. In their case, they wont have excess protein in their blood which gets filtered by the kidneys causing possible harm to liver and kidneys. For a drug free bodybuilder, 1.4g - 2g protein per KILOGRAM should be optimal and safe, depending on the individual.

- Saturated fats in meat. I don't think I even have to speak about how bad sat fats are.

That's basically it.

hope to meet you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello AussieShane! That's an interesting background. Most athletes are into practically nothing but meat.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 12-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Shane, I like your name. Nice to meet you, and welcome to VeggieBoards.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

Vegetarian since February 12, 2007
Vegan since October 7, 2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 12-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#6 Old 01-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! It's good to see an aussie rules player who isn't so typically gung-ho male.

Where abouts in Australia are you from?
#7 Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAded View Post

Welcome! It's good to see an aussie rules player who isn't so typically gung-ho male.

Where abouts in Australia are you from?

hey jAded, i'm originally from Darwin (my folks are there) but I moved to Perth. Yea, my mates from the team all say things like "you got to eat meat","don't be a hippy" and what not, but i can't go back to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page