Hey, I'm new here! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-18-2008, 10:28 PM

Hey y'all! I'm Rebecca and I have NO clue what to do first! I've decided to go veg and I don't really know where to start. Any suggestions on how to ease into this?

I think I'm going to start by giving up red meat, that seems like as good a start as any. I'm very afraid that I'll miss it and fall off the wagon, but I'm going to do my best.

I should mention that I have very little support from my family- my husband thinks I'm crazy. My kids are 99% veg already, mostly because they're so picky, so that'll be a help to me along the way.

One thing I wonder about, and want to start being aware of and change asap, is animal products in the products I already use. Is there a label for a product that's veg like there are for products that are Kosher? Aside from the obvious, what ingredients should I avoid?

Ok, enough from me. Thanks!!

Rebecca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, congrats on making the change!

As for what to do, just ease into it while learning through VB and elsewhere, going at the speed that feels most comfortable for you (in other words, what will most help you stick with it!).

Doing see in steps (i.e. red meat first, white meat next, fish next, etc.) is a great way to go about it. And if you "mess up," don't worry about it, just shake it off and keep moving forward.

As for your family, I know many on VB are in similar situations as you are (or have been in the past) and you will get a lot of support from them.

As for labels, unfortunately you need to read the ingredients. Every once in a while something will be labeled as veg*n (like Smart Balance Light), but most of the time it's just reading the ingredients. At this point, just get to know the major ones (can't think of any of the top of my head - maybe like "chicken broth" and other ones that clearly have meat as part of their names). Sorry I can't think of any others right now.

Otherwise, welcome and make sure to research/ask any questions you have.
#3 Old 06-19-2008, 01:39 PM

Hey, I am just beginning to be a vegetarian too. As a teen girl, my mom is a little overprotective and I have had trouble convincing her. Therefore at the moment I am a "closet vegetarian", meaning that my mom doesnt know quite yet, but she will find out tonight. I have tried to become vegetarian at least 5 times and my family has gotten in the way. All I want is for them to just let me do what I wish. Becoming a vegetarian is what I really want to do and if I keep trying they will have to give in sometime!

Luckily my friend katie has been a lot of support and we are in on this together. It sure is nice to have someone to help you through the rough times! Tonight I am going to tell my mom, so whoever reads this, wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Rebecca welcome
#5 Old 06-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishgirl777 View Post

Tonight I am going to tell my mom, so whoever reads this, wish me luck!

Good luck!
#6 Old 06-20-2008, 01:00 PM

I too just went "veggie." I totally love it. I just quite eating meat altogether at once. I thought I would miss it and gave myself plenty of leaway to go back to it if I wanted to. I read the book "Skinny *****" which is a diet book that kind of hits you with the vegetarian thing without you realizing thats what its about. I was shocked by all the things I learned in just that one book. I have been researching the subject on the web and watching some videos of animal cruelty and the negatives (which are just about 100%) of the meat industry, factory farming, i. e. - I didn't think I could eat chicken again after some of the video I have seen. Best of all, I DON"T miss the meat. But I think it is a process and please allow yourself to "fall off the wagon" and get started again if you need to. It is definitely a change. But after only one month I feel so much better. I can't sleep more than about 6 hours a night (partially due to exercise too) and have tons of energy. I decided last week to go totally vegan and am doing great so far with that. When I began to see from my reading that we dont NEED animal flesh or animal products for nutrition, it changed my whole concept. Good luck.
#7 Old 06-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB to all of you!

*this space not for sale*
#8 Old 06-23-2008, 06:00 PM

welcome

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page