New from California! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-18-2008, 12:33 AM

Hello! My name is Melanie. I have decided to become a vegetarian for moral reasons. I have loved animals my entire life, and because of convenience reasons I guess I never fully became a vegetarian. I was sort of one before, but I did eat fish..and then my mother who happens to enjoy cooking, would make meat dishes everynight..and I don't know, I guess it was hard to try and make my own food..and not eat hers. BUT she has decided to do it too, which will make it a lot easier.

I am not an animal activist, but I am an animal welfare advocate. And I love animals more than anything, and partake in a number of different animal related activities (Such as volunteering at cat/dog rescues, fostering kittens for a local cat rescue, and having a lot of pets that I take care of. )

But anyway, if you want to know more about me just ask. I am sure I will have plenty of questions.

Any other animal lovers here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Banned

and welcome Melanie , yes there are animal lovers all through the VB's they post pictures , come for advice if there pets are sick and have pet threads , so you will connect with them .
#3 Old 06-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB! Animal lover here, too. I am owned by two cats.

Where in California are you? I'm in Santa Monica.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi there! I am a huge animal lover - particularly dogs and pigs.

I am in Riverside California! It is nice to meet you!
#5 Old 06-18-2008, 11:10 AM

Welcome Melanie! It's great that your mum is also on board as you won't feel alone in this new lifestyle change and it'll be more of a team effort.
#6 Old 06-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi. I also live in California. You will find a lot of animal people here. Myself included.

Since you live in California, have you been to Animal Acres (southern) or Farm Sanctuary (northern) yet?
#7 Old 06-18-2008, 11:40 PM

I live in Central California! (Fresno).

I love pretty much all animals! We do cat rescue (We have 19 adult cats that are permanent residents here, and then 9 foster kittens). We foster for Cat House On The Kings cat rescue and sanctuary.

I am a huge dog lover as well and active in lots of dog activities, we have 12 dogs (7 dachshunds-1 Dachshund mix-1 Chihuahua-1 Tibetan Spaniel/Shipperke mix-1 Jack Russel Terrier Mix- and 1 Rat Terrier/Chihuahua mix).

and then I have rats, mice, hamsters, and turtles. (oh, and fish).

I made it through one day successfully. I didn't even care that I wasn't eating meat. I ate a veggie sub at Subway, and snacked on bad foods like cookies, and well that was it actually. ( This was also the first day of my diet, I am very overweight and have been struggling with it since middle school). When I was a vegetarian before I ended up gaining about 50 pounds because instead of eating meat I would eat garbage food all day long. I am a huge snack food junkie! So this is also a struggle for weight loss for me! So wish me luck on that as well! I am just trying to live healthy!!

If anyone wants me to share pictures of my critters, just ask. I like to post TONS of pictures!

(IS anyone here a member of any pet forums? I am a frequent member of a few)
#8 Old 06-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Melanie!

I was also a junk food vegetarian my first time around and I am determined to do it right this time! I subscribe to the Vegetarian Times and there was an article in there a couple of issues back that was called 'Putting the Veg back in Vegetarian'. I was SO guilty!!! I also had gained weight as a vegetarian and was really discouraged.

I struggle with my weight also. I could stand to loose about 50 pounds or so. I have been adhering to a vegan diet for about 10 days now and I have lost 4 pounds. I am making it a point to eat a plant based diet and whole grains. I think it is really making a difference.

I have 4 dogs, a rabbit and a pot bellied pig!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page