Just Another Canadian Vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2008, 01:24 PM

I've been a lacto-ovo-vegetarian for three years. I also don't eat seafood or sushi. In early May I was diagnosed with a fatty liver due to years of starving. The last year and half of recovery I've tried to eat healthy foods but my body still doesn't feel healthy and in the last couple of months I've been experiencing abdominal pain.

So three weeks ago I decided to purify my diet. Little differences, like only eating fresh, organic fruits and vegetables and whole wheats. The major change is that I cut out all salt, butter/margarine, alcohol, processed foods, sugar, condiments (i.e. ketchup, mayo, sour cream, salsa etc.) and not frying foods with oil. And let me tell you, I feel wonderful! No pain anywhere and the walks after dinner help me digest.

I'm actually having a difficult time eating out nowadays. My city doesn't have many vegetarian restaurants. And it's hard to find recipes on food blogs that have my guidelines. The only person that comes close to preparing meals and taking an approach to nutrition that I think is very health is British nutritionist Gillian McKeith's.

I'm also always deficient in iron and other vitamins. I'm doing my best and I feel I'm on the right path...perhaps my body needs to time...

Oh! And hello everyone! It's great to be on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2008, 01:47 PM

Hmm, that's a tough order...I think the oil thing is actually going to be the hardest, as "a bit of olive oil in the pan" starts many recipes that follow your other requirements. I'd recommend Kathy Freston's Quantum Wellness and Alex Jamieson's The Great American Detox Diet for book suggestions. Good luck!
#3 Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Beginner

Welcome to VB!

Hmmm, if you're iron deficient you need to start eating more spinach, kale, asparagus, lentils, watermelon and chickpeas. Starting your day with a glass of tomato juice should help as well!

Peace, Love & Light!
#5 Old 06-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, and welcome! If you're looking for oil-free recipes, you might try www.fatfree.com. It's not an exclusively veg site, but they have a good search feature and a gazillion recipes.

However, I think it's important to note that your body (even one with a fatty liver) needs some fat. Have you thought about how you're going to incorporate healthy fats into your diet?

As for cooking without oil, you can use a coated frying pan, but then you're dealing with nasty chemicals. Cast iron would be ideal, if you're struggling with low iron. I use a smidge of oil with mine though. You could try a bit of water, for cooking some things, too.

Also, just a note wrt spinach/kale and other leafy greens..while they contain a good bit of iron, they are not considered to be a good source, as the iron is not very absorbable. Now, they're great for a whole host of other reasons, but make sure that you're getting other sources of iron.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 06-13-2008, 03:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Check out Dr. McDougall's website. His program is fat free (or extremely low fat) vegan way of eating!
#7 Old 06-15-2008, 02:52 PM

schmoosh, thank you for the links/suggestions.

Thanks for the welcome AmySF!

SunnyMellowMan, lentils, watermelons and spinach I'm already consuming. Unfortunately, my taste buds don't like the other suggestions. lol

IamJen, ahh yes, that's an excellent site to use and I have indeed. Don't worry, the two good fats I consume almost daily are avocados and almonds. And I don't seem to have trouble cooking without oil, like you said, water does the trick just fine. You're right, I'm still not getting enough iron from my diet so I do take supplements on the recommendation from my doctor. I look forward to getting my iron to normal levels because living with fatigue for the last few years has really sucked. lol

And thanks for the link Mandy_Sav.
#8 Old 06-15-2008, 03:24 PM

I am also a fan of Gillian McKeith, shes great. Have you looked into raw foods? Green smoothies are a fabulous way to get your greens in a tasty, easy way and fats like avocado or coconut.

Here is a nice raw foods site with lots of recipes:

http://www.goneraw.com/

And my favorite green smoothie:

one cup mango

one whole orange, peeled

one cup frozen(or fresh) blueberries

two big handfuls of baby spinach

a touch of water if needed and some stevia or agave if you need it sweeter

Blend all till smooth...DELISH!!!

You can use any combo you like, the ratio is like 60% fruit to 40% greens.
#9 Old 06-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB! Where about's in Canada are u from? I'm in BC.
#10 Old 06-17-2008, 01:19 PM

smittys_kitty:

There's something wrong with the site of the link you gave me. Looks like it might be a technical problem. I'll try back later. You know, when I think of smoothies, I only like to consume fruit smoothies. Blending and drinking vegetables is almost unnatural to me. I tried an avocado smoothie and just...*shudders* lol Weird!

As for going raw, I already eat a lot of uncooked and unprocessed fruits & veggies but I do like my food warmed every so often, like fresh mashed potatoes and yesterday's vegetarian lasagna I whipped up. Yep, I love to bake too much to go raw. I'm in the process of getting rid of all canned beans and legumes and buying them in their natural form but that'll take a few months of transition...

Hey Masja, how do you pronounce your username? It's interesting. I'm in Alberta. I plan on moving to Vancouver next year, though. You around those parts?
#11 Old 06-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm originally from Edmonton, and moved to Nanaimo about 5 years ago...it's on the island, about an hour or so north of Victoria.

Oh and my name's pronounced Masha
#12 Old 06-17-2008, 05:36 PM

How do you like Nanaimo? I bet it's better than where I'm at here in stupid Cow Town, the place of meat and conservatives!

Your name is pretty.
#13 Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks

yeah nanaimo is beautiful! It's so nice having the ocean so close, and it stays green all year round! We're actually coming down to Calgary in a few weeks, hubby is meeting up with his brother from Ottawa and they're all going to the Stampede! Whoop...I think i'll go shopping instead or something, lol.

What's made you decide to move to Vancouver?
#14 Old 06-18-2008, 12:22 PM

The allure of the ocean, how green it is and the more open & diverse society are all things that attract me to Vancouver. Nanaimo sounds lovely too. Technically, I could live wherever there's a hospital nearby but my sister (who's coming with me) wants to attend UBC. However, I just looked at up VIU and I might try to entice her to changer her mind especially when the price of housing is Van is so ridiculously high.

Heee, coming to the Stampede. I stopped going years ago. Shopping is better, I recommend Chinook Mall.
#15 Old 06-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I went to VIU (formerly MALU), it's an awesome school. Nanaimo is expensive, but nothing compared to Vancouver. The island is awesome, especially Victoria, I really love it there. You'll never run out of stuff to do on the island, that's for sure.

When are you looking at moving?

I'll check out Chinook mall, I need something to do
#16 Old 06-20-2008, 09:22 PM

Victoria is so greeeen. I love it! Pricing in Van is about the same as it is in Cal, so I'm not suffering from rent shock but it doesn't make me happy. lol We're giving it another year here; the more money we can save up the better.

How long will you be staying?

By the way, did you hear about all these human feet being washed on shore? That's so scary!
#17 Old 06-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, they just found 2 more feet! Scary stuff! They said last time that the feet don't appear to be severed...um...what, do they just fall off? And they're all right feet. Craziness!

I'm in Calgary from the 5 to about the 11. We're actually staying in Fort MacLeod...which I guess is near Lethbridge or something, not sure. Never been that far south before, lol.
#18 Old 06-23-2008, 01:51 AM
Beginner

Bienvenu! I'm so glad you're feeling better and hope you can find some help on diversifying your diet with some of the yummy recipes here. There are a lot of veterans here,hehe ^^
#19 Old 06-24-2008, 08:40 AM

Masja - I really hope it's not a serial killer. The city seems intimidating as it is, I don't want murderers on the lose! I actually had to look up where Fort Maclead was on the map because I didn't know it existed either!

Zaff - Thank you! I've already made Banana Bread from the recipes section, with my own twist and you're right, it's just the tip of the mountain of recipes on this site. It's so exciting! I'll never get bored.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page