Newbie on the Block - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-04-2008, 08:51 AM

Hi, my name is Gypsy (nickname) and I have always stuck out in some shape or fashion. So why would my eating preferences be any different? I am new to the vegetarian way of eating. I had thought about it over the years, but never really gave in. One day as you may very well know, I watched a news segment about how these "downer" cows were being treated. He was obviously sick from maltreatment among other things. I was horrified. It made an instant movie in my head what these animals go through (abuse) and that we are being fed sick animals to increase the companies bottom line. I was sickened. I began to research online and check books out from the library about becoming a vegetarian. As I began to do this, I tried to go back to not knowing what I now know! What a humdinger, because it was not possible. I cannot eat meat any longer and have not, even though I tried. The smell was off and my desire gone.

I am mother of two daughters and we are embracing this lifestyle with ease. I have been focusing on becoming vegan, but allowing milk for them. It is much easier than I thought. I am not sure I will make it to being a vegan anytime soon. I have issues with giving up leather (not buying new stuff is an issue, but wearing the older stuff) and honey (buy it from a local bee keeping farmer). I am still doing tons of reading from the local library and also joining groups and forums on this lifestyle. I can honestly say that I feel exceptional that I made the right choice and I feel much better too!

Can't wait to take part in the discussions and learn so much more from people actually "living" this life day to day! Smile

-Gypsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

hey! it's great to have you.
#3 Old 06-04-2008, 09:24 AM

Welcome! I think it's great that your daughters are going vegetarian, too. Are they very young? I've had friends who went vegetarian and their older children (elementary-school aged) absolutely refused to give up meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB! Have fun and good luck with your new diet! If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask.

You might want to check out the Raising Vegetarian Children forum for support in that area, as well.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 06-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi there!

Welcome to VB.

The honey is easy substitutable... not a big hassle.

Old leather... well... you do not stop being a vegan for errors in the past... you bought leather... well... you are not gonna create a waste... so wear it off. Regarding finding new non leather... ufff... I can't find a darn wallet.. even the cheapest ones have leather... I only keep my old leather wallet as a non vegan item. I wore off everything else!!!

However... I wanna buy a Hummer H2... all those damn cars have leather... but I love the car... When I finally do the step... I will bother and cry to them to get one without the stupid leather.
#6 Old 06-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! Best wishes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page