Carnivore with a conscience - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-18-2008, 08:14 PM

Hello all, first time lurking and posting here.

I am 31-years-old, I am a meat-eater and I was raised in a family of meat-eaters. My wife and extended family are all meat-eaters, I know only a few vegetarians.

I am at a point in my moral development where I can no longer ignore my conscience and ethics. I want to take the plunge and become vegetarian because I no longer think that it is an unhealthful lifestyle and my expanding understanding of morality demands honesty.

I guess what I need is some advice about what to read and where to go to learn how I can consume a vegetarian diet and be healthful. Are there other implications of vegetarianism I should also consider? Also, are there others here who are vegetarian and living with a partner who is a meat-eater? My wife is unlikely to join me in this endeavor.

One last question, for now, what is the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan, other than fish, eggs and dairy products?

In ignorance,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

Fish isn't eaten by vegetarians OR vegans.

Vegetarians may or may not eat or use other non-flesh animal products (dairy, eggs, honey, leather, silk, lanolin and so on).

Vegans eschew ALL animal products and do not eat or use them, such as dairy, eggs, honey, leather, silk, lanolin and so on.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 02-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! Being pretty new to this forum as well, I think you will find a lot of good info here on VB just by reading through the different threads. I haven't personally read any books about what to eat but I've gotten some great tips and recipes on this board and there is a thread here called Tip of the Day which gives good advice.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=50249

Also, www.vegsoc.org might provide you with some good info. This section helps with what you need to eat to make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need. http://www.vegsoc.org/info/basic-nutrition.html

I think lots of people here have partners or spouses who are meat-eaters and could give you good advice. My non live-in boyfriend is a big meat-eater and we don't have any issues except for occasionally choosing what restaurant to go to.

Vegetarians do not generally eat fish. If you choose to include fish in your diet, you would technically be called a pescatarian. Vegans do not eat dairy, eggs, honey, anything from insects, etc. and try to avoid any animal products in other things like soaps, lotions, clothing. It is basically up to the individual to decide the level of strictness.

I hope you find what you're looking for and hope your transition goes well! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, Vegchica!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegchica13 View Post

Vegetarians do not generally eat fish.

Really, vegetarians do not ever eat fish. Flesh isn't vegetarian at all.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#5 Old 02-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey! That's what I meant.
#6 Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Banned

Hi and welcome john

This thread has to do with meat eaters as partners

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...=omni+partners

Well you have to work out how far you want to go in regard your goal of becoming a vegetarian or vegan .

You could just start , say , a couple of meals a week vegetarian and work that way . Alot starting out , eliminate red meats first , then as there bodies adjust , eliminate poultry and then fish from there diet .

At the same time you build up nutritional info and good recipes with variety , vegetarianism really does open a whole new world in variety of recipes .

any more questions just post
#7 Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB! I'm sure you will learn plenty here! I have, even though I was veg when I joined
#8 Old 02-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB. You've got some interesting challenges ahead. Here are some ideas:

+ avoid using the term 'vegetarian' with relatives. This term has a lot of negative baggage, plus it's intrinsically misleading because it implies that veg*ns consume only vegetables (certainly a grim diet, if it was true). I prefer 'plant-based diet' instead.

+ I never argue, ever. If someone asks an honest question, I try to answer it. If someone makes a negative statement, I ignore it.

+ you may have more luck gradually substituting veg dishes for meat-based dishes rather than trying to eliminate meat all at once. The advantage with the gradual approach is that you never feel deprived.

+ a subscription to a magazine such as VegNews (www.vegnews.com) can help prop up your morale, as well as be a vehicle for getting your wife and others to understand what you're up to, and why.

+ the popular media is still firmly entrenched in the "four basic food groups" mental model of how to construct a healthy diet. You'll need to go elsewhere for an alternative viewpoint.

+ there are a huge number of resources available for veg*ns (new and old-timers). As an old-timer, I'm not the best person to help direct you to good sources for newcomers.

Good luck with it!

#9 Old 02-19-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

Welcome to VB! I'm sure you will learn plenty here! I have, even though I was veg when I joined

I was already veg for a while before joining VB, and I have learned a lot.
#10 Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey John,

I am new to this also, your story sounds a lot like mine. I have been morally struggling for a while now. I do animal rescue but had a hard time kicking chicken wings, tacos, etc. Hopefully I can do it. I also have a boyfriend who is a hard core meat eater. I wish you the best of luck.

Welcome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page