It's Not Easy - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-16-2008, 08:40 PM

Hi. I'm in the process of becoming a vegan.

But it's not easy.

I'm being forced not to eat meat.

And I not feeling fully satisfied without it.

I seem to feel hungry more often and snack a lot.

Does this ever get better.

I'm in a very fragile state right now, so go easy on me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

What do you mean by being forced not to eat meat?

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#3 Old 02-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

have you gone vegan for your health?

it can feel like a bit of a shock both mentally and physically, when you change your diet, i remember feeling like i didn't know what to eat, that it felt like there were suddenly no choices, and that lots of old favourites are suddenly off limits. it'll get much better. there will be a few new things to learn, and lots of fun new food things to try- but like anythng new, it'll become normal pretty soon.

are you not feeling satisfied with tastes, flavours, textures.... or with feeling full? is it a problem with your food choices and recipes- not knowing what to eat, and feeling like you don't want anything that you can have? ... do you mentally feel like your meals aren't whole any more cos there is no meat on your plate, or does your tummy rumble? lets narrow it down and work from there! if its all of the above, we can do one at a time?

it is quite normal to feel a bit more hungry, and to want to eat more often. meat is thick dense heavy stuff, and takes a long time for your body to break down. veggies and beans go through a bit quicker (you might notice that you go to the bathroom a bit more too) so they don't feel so heavy, or fill you up for so long, in the same way (i think we maybe also get used to feeling tooo full, as well, which doesn't help).

if you're not snacking on junk, its actually better for your body to eat every few hours, than big meals spread far apart. snacking is good, as long as its not chips and cookies all day!

what could we do that would help make the transition easier for you?

would you like recipe suggestions, meal ideas, suggestions of new foods to try, or just hugs? we can do all of the above, and more! here's a hug to start.. cos everyone could always use more hugs as far as i'm concerned! just hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ What she said!

Plus, if you're NOT eating junk... Odds are you're consuming far fewer calories than you're used to...and a lot less fat.

You're system will get used to the feeling of not having a lot of heavy fat and meat. In the meantime, feel free to eat MORE veggies and fruits!!! They're mostly water, and you can eat greater quantities. (I feel like I'm eating all the time...never hungry because I'm always snacking, whist planning my next snack.)

If you want something that feels a bit heavy, pick up a bottle of 'peanut sauce' from the oriental section of your grocery store. This is great for mixing in with rice, and I LOVE it on tempeh!!!

Cut the tempeh into chunks, and boil for 10 mins or so...

Coat with the peanut sauce and let sit for 10 mins or so...

Bake in oven at 300 or so...for 10 mins or so...

You can't really over cook it, and the boiling is the most important part...and it's SOOOOO yummy, and has a heavy 'entre' feel to it.

(Edited to add: Why are you 'forced' not to eat meat? Doesn't sound good... like if I were 'forced' to quit smoking, versus quitting when I am ready, and because I WANT to)

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#5 Old 02-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

hi aerial, welcome to VB!

why are you being forced not to eat meat? and by who?

I didn't feel any less full when I went veg ... are you getting enough calories?
#6 Old 02-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Welcome. I'm interested in your answers to the other's questions. "Forced"?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page