Hi, considering vegetarianism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-04-2007, 06:34 AM

Hi, I'm Alex, 19, female, and considering vegetarianism after I saw what happens to farm animals. I feel guilty about eating dead animals.

On the other hand, meat is tasty, and I'm going to have a hard job convincing myself to go veggie. How can I eat cruelty free?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-04-2007, 06:37 AM

alex~

Do some reading about the healthy lifestyles of Vegans and you'll be convinced...if the facts of animal cruelty didn't do it for you.
#3 Old 11-04-2007, 06:55 AM

I have read that. I also like to eat organically, and I'm concerned about nutrition. I don't like eating any artificial stuff, and apparently Soya screws up your periods. Any alternatives? I need something that has as much nutrition as meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought I had already replied to this thread but apparently not?

Welcome to VB! It's great you're considering switching to vegetarianism. A lot of us on VB have been big meat eaters at one point (definitely me) so it's quite possible to go veg*n (stands for 'vegetarian or vegan') no matter how tasty you consider meat to be. I really don't think soya screws up your periods, it definitely hasn't affected mine.

Quote:
Any alternatives? I need something that has as much nutrition as meat.

alternatives as what? as an ingredient in a certain dish? as a 'main' part of a 'meat and two veg' type meal? and what nutrients are you worried about specifically?
#5 Old 11-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

I was a wolf time ago!! I ate meat like insanity and I hated veggies! And now, I'm vegan!

I do not even miss the taste of the meat, and if I miss it one day, I just emulate the taste with tofu or fake meats products

Btw, my wife's periods are fine, so soya is not affecting her either!

Anyway, welcome to VB! Enjoy

<-------- Eat me! I'm yummy!
#6 Old 11-04-2007, 09:20 AM

Welcome, good luck on the transition!
#7 Old 11-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasercrusader View Post

Hi, I'm Alex, 19, female, and considering vegetarianism after I saw what happens to farm animals. I feel guilty about eating dead animals.

On the other hand, meat is tasty, and I'm going to have a hard job convincing myself to go veggie. How can I eat cruelty free?

Just hold onto that thought about farm animals

m8itcanw8.com
#8 Old 11-04-2007, 02:57 PM

I can relate because I have struggled with this also. At this point it goes beyond just not eating dead animals for me personally (but that is a valid point).

I believe that by eating meat we are ruining ecosystems. I also believe that it's time to evolve beyond our meat eating past.

Having said that, I do enjoy the taste of fried chicken. I'm learning to replace it with things like fried tofu (General Tao's Tofu is wonderful!)

I suggest that you go slow...try a meatless meal per day. Then try going meatless for several days. Don't get discouraged because you are on the right track. It just takes some of us a little more time to get there than others.
#9 Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Beginner

Hi and welcome to VB

Good luck with your journey into going veggie-trust me, you'll discover lots of foods that taste soooooo much better than meat

And I haven't had any problems with soy and my periods. If anything, I'm the healthiest that I've ever been since going vegan (both mentally and physically).
#10 Old 11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been vegetarian for 13+ yrs and I have never had a problem with my periods.. or anything else for that matter. Sometimes we have to look beyond what feels good right this minute (i.e. eating meat) and see the bigger picture (i.e. animals are suffering and dying and you're eating their flesh).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 11-05-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:

I have read that. I also like to eat organically, and I'm concerned about nutrition. I don't like eating any artificial stuff, and apparently Soya screws up your periods. Any alternatives? I need something that has as much nutrition as meat.

I don't eat anything artificial or prepackaged except the occasional morningstar black bean burger. There are PLENTY of things that have as much nutrition as meat. I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian (I drink milk and eat eggs) but am in the process of eating more vegan and going vegan as soon as I feel comfortable doing so. I am also a fitness addict (training to be in physique competitions) so I HAVE to keep up with extremely good nutrition. If you want to know about anything really specific (I don't use soya and honestly have no clue what it is so I can't help there) then just post it in one of the forums - or PM someone that you think seems knowledgeable about the subject from reading their posts. Good luck, you can do it!
#12 Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

i dunno. ill be honest, if you're thinking 'on the other hand meat tastes nice' then maybe you wont be able to do it. i think if you take the stance that you oppose the whole ethos of animal exploitation, the tastiness of a fried chicken breast goes out the window.

then again you said you dont like it and feel bad about it. i think you already know whats up then, my advice is jump straight in at the deep end and see how easy it is to give up all of those foods
#13 Old 11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll jump on the advice bandwagon here!

Honestly, eating veg is not as difficult as it may seem right now. Before I went veg, I rarely cooked, I didn't experiment with foods, and I didn't think about nutrition at all. Now I cook all the time, I try new things daily, and I know more about nutrition than I ever thought I would! Going veg isn't hard, it just takes some getting used to. You'll probably get more of the nutrients like protein (and others that you may be worried about) than you did before, because now you'll be thinking about how much you get.

Good luck, and if you need anything, feel free to PM me!
#14 Old 11-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi and welcome.

I've been vegan for about 17 years (maybe longer, it was a long time ago!).... I eat lots of soya and have never had problems with my periods.

Try eating veggie for however long you can commit to. A month would be great if you can manage it to start with. Eat lots of really tasty food... don't just swap one crappy diet (which is was meat is) for junk veggie food.

Take the time to create tasty dishes for yourself. Tasty doesn't have to be time consuming and complicated.

I'll bet ya that after a month you'll feel energised, balanced and pleased that you haven't been contributing to the terrible cruelty humans inflict on other animals.

Good luck
#15 Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Eek
Veggie Regular

Just sticking my head in to agree with everyone else. I can't stand the taste of a lot of the processed veggie 'meats and foods' so I try not to use them.

I'd say check out some vegan blogs and vegetarian / vegan cookbooks. They generally have a lot of yummy looking foods and while they don't always include recipes they get ideas going - for me anyway- and even if you aren't ready to go vegan (yet )then you just add some cheese, dairy or eggs in as needed. But try not to rely heavily on these foods, because they, along with meat, caffeine and sugars can be hard on your period / intestines.

A vegetarian nutritional book that was easy to read for me is The Vegetarian Way

Do what you can, cutting out as much meat / dairy eggs as you comfortably can is a great start! Good luck!
#16 Old 11-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Beginner

There are two videos which helped my boyfriend (a carnivore - not even an omnivore!) to become vegetarian and finally reduce his dairy intake... and start trying veggies.

About the animals:

First: http://www.meat.org

Secondly, a 5-star free 14-min online movie by a doctor about the effects of meat/cheese on the body:

http://www.movieflix.com/movie_info.mfx?movie_id=2044

As for getting used to the changes in your diet while out:

Drop fast food and enjoy ethnic restaurants which easily cater to vegetarians: Japanese, Indian, Ethiopian, (nice) Chinese...
#17 Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 PM

i was never a massive meat eater but i did eat meat because i enjoyed the taste of what i was eating and as daft as it might sound,i didnt connect meat was animals! then a year ago all changed. i found out about the cruelty of factory farming and how animals suffered not just at slaughter but all their lives!!! i decided then that i would have no part in it and became vegetarian.my only regret is that i didnt go veggie earlier.its the best decision ive ever made as i have descovered fantastic foods ive never tried before and even meat substitutes that taste even better than meat!!! try different foods until you find ones that make your mouth water and being a veggie will be a pleasure all the time
#18 Old 11-11-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Hi, I'm Alex, 19, female, and considering vegetarianism after I saw what happens to farm animals. I feel guilty about eating animals.

Oh, get fake meat from Quorn & Morningstar! They got me to like veggie bacon, & I didn't even like NORMAL bacon!
#19 Old 11-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Just read, read, read!! And watch documentaries. Educate yourself. Learn as much as possible. Eventually, you won't be able to ignore it anymore.

When you eat meat, THINK about it. THINK about what it actually IS as you put it in your mouth. If that doesnt turn you off, I dont know what will.

It is a great decision and you will feel like a better person for it. Your body will thank you, and you can feel good about your contribution to the environment and animal rights.

At least give it a shot if you can - it isnt about will power and depriving yourself. It is a belief system, and should be an enjoyable experience.
#20 Old 11-13-2007, 09:33 AM

hey there -

i just watched this video of a guy who only eats stuff he finds in the wild...you think going vegan is hard? watch this! he practically lives off of wild garlic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page