newbie, stepmom to veggie newbie - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-05-2007, 10:59 AM

Hello all. I am from Tennessee and my stepdaughter recently decided she wants to give being a vegetarian "a try, and hopefully I can make it, because I think its sad to kill animals for food". So, knowing her as i do, while there is a chance she may come to me tomorrow and say, bring on the fried chicken, BUT, when she sets her mind to something like this, she has pretty much decided thats what she is going to do, but doesnt want to fully commit until she knows she can be healthy and find alternatives to her love for meats, especially bacon, and chicken! So, I am trying to find substitutes, we know some, and any recipes anyone may have...opinions , such as what about tofu, (which i have never used, eaten, etc and have NO idea how to cook with it). My goal here is to support her and be able to cook things that will eliminate temptation when the rest of the family are having meats. I am diabetic and know the temptations when everyone is eating something i cant have, so...I want to make this easy for her, and who knows, I may be able to incorporate it more into my diet. So, when I ask stupid questions, just remember I am a laid back country girl from the south, who is trying to find out what i can do to make things easier and healthier.

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2007, 02:24 AM

anybody can do it as long as you give it a try! welcome kwanatic4evr
#3 Old 10-06-2007, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB! You should check out our recipe section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Ng View Post

anybody can do it as long as you give it a try! welcome kwanatic4evr

So true, and I welcome you too. It's really cool to see you supporting her choice, a lot of parents and family members don't do that.

I can't really help you w/ the tofu dilemma, but the recipe boards are full of recipes for it. I personally am not a fan of the stuff. There are a lot of other options for protein.

For meat alternatives, I LOVELOVELOVE Lightlife's line of meat alternatives. They have great "chik'n strips" and "beefy strips" and their "deli not-meats" are good too. I know they make an imitation bacon, but I haven't tried it.

Here's their website -- http://www.lightlife.com/

I also like the Boca brand for veggie burgers and crumbles.

The cool thing about imitation meats is that every brand is different. If you don't like one kind, just move on to the next. Nowadays there's a big variety to choose from, so there's something out there for everybody.

Basic combinations of veggies can give complete proteins too, like brown rice and beans. If you do a Google search for "Vegetarian nutrition" and "vegetarian recipes" you'll come up with a ton of sites -- you'll be reading all day!

Good luck, and have fun! You'll all be learning a new way to cook and eat, so try to look at it as the adventure it is.
#5 Old 10-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi kwanatic4evr

Welcome to the veggieboards!

You sound like a lovely lovely stepmother

You sure did come to the right place to learn about the health benefits, ideas and recipes for the vegetarian/vegan lifestyle... I hope you will take your time to let it all work in on you, and perhaps get hungry for the cruelty free lifestyle as well yourself.

Thanks so much, speaking as a daughter, for supporting your stepdaughter
#6 Old 10-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome welcome.

Even though I LOVE tofu, I wouldn't recommend it to a brand-new "newbie". It takes a while and some practice to get it "right" usually.

Please PM me if you want any specific recipes, I have teen daughters and a TON of kid-friendly easy recipes!!
#7 Old 10-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Beginner

I don't have any suggestions, as I'm a veg newbie myself but I wanted to say that I think it's awesome that you're trying to help out your step-daughter.
#8 Old 10-08-2007, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

*this space not for sale*
#9 Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Your stepdaughter is very lucky to have you! I'm fairly new to the vegetarian way of life as well and haven't ventured into the land of textured veg protein, tofu, seitan or any of the more exotic meat things. One thing I do really like though is the spicy black bean burger that is made by Morning Star Farms. You can even get it at Chili's! One of these days, I'm going to just jump in and try those other foods. Good luck!
#10 Old 10-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

You sound like a very caring mom. There are no stupid questions here. Welcome

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page