Hi :) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-04-2007, 04:45 PM

Hi. I'm a teen girl and I live in Canada. I am not a vegetarian yet but I am interested in becoming one, and I am not sure how to get started. I was thinking of first cutting out red meats for a while, then cutting out poultry, then fish. Do you think this is a good idea? Suggestions are loved.

I am interested in becoming a vegetarian for pretty much every reason out there.

Oh, and another thing. My food & nutrition teacher is always harping on us about eating enough meat and getting enough protein. I have heard that you don't need a lot of protein to be healthy but she seems to think otherwise. Is there anything else I should be concerned about in order to stay healthy?

Thanks

Oh, I think I put this in the wrong board. Mods feel free to move it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

There is plenty of protein to be found in vegetarian whole foods such as beans, rice, pasta, whole grains, fruit and vegetables. I recommend you check out The Tip of the Day thread stickied at the top of the New to Vegetarianism forum. You'll find a wealth of good information in that thread.

As for your plan to go veg, whatever you find that works best for you. Tapering off gradually helped me, and it has worked for others as well. Other people found that going "cold tofu" overnight worked for them. If you'd rather go slow, then by all means do that. We're here to help you and give you all the support you need.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Banned

Nowherefast

You certainly have thought it through , its a very good idea ...its probably best to do the transitional stage like you describe just take it one step at a time from the read meats down to chicken and fish

The previous post went into the protein side but to get protein you have to eat .

There is also a teen thread

you might pick up some info here as well

http://www.goveg.com/order.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-05-2007, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

I think everyone has said things I wanted to. But I agree, 'weaning off' meats can definitely be helpful for a lot of people
#5 Old 06-07-2007, 09:35 AM

Welcome!
#6 Old 06-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB! You'll find lots of good information here, and there's other teens and even a teen thread!
#7 Old 06-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

If you feel that it may be difficult to go "cold turkey" (or cold carrot! ) then it is a great idea to cut out animal foods one by one. If your foods and nutrition teacher is concerned about your protein intake, tell her that you get protein from beans, bread, etc. She is incorrect about associating protein with only meat, as meat has fat, cholesterol, etc that would make it unhealthy as the only protein source. And welcome to VB!
#8 Old 06-16-2007, 10:42 AM

Thank you everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page