only in mississippi - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-02-2007, 10:09 AM

hey everybody! i'm new 2 the forum & 2 vegetarianism.. it's only been a week but i'm going strong so far! it's way easier than i imagined!... i'm starting by taking the peta 30 day veg challenge as a short-term goal... i figured it wud be easier 2 think in the shortrun rather than the longrun... forever is a long time!... but anyway i'm from gulfport mississippi & i go 2 mississippi school of the arts... it's a high school & we live here in the dorms... there are a few other vegetarians here but still it's hard 2 stay healthy when everything is fried! imagine eating school food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! but anyway i'm looking forward 2 getting 2 no folks here so seeya around!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Choconilla, welcome to VB!

Eating well at schools as a vegetarian can be tough. Check out the many threads we've had on that issue, especially in the New to Vegetarianism forum. I'm glad you've made this step and aren't putting too much pressure on yourselftrying out vegetarianism for a month can be a good way to figure out if you like it. Don't listen to the people who think you have to know everything upfront. This is a learning process for everyone.

Just so you know... we discourage people from posting in a way that is intentionally hard to read. For many readers, it's hard to read when someone substitutes letters with numbers, like the way you used "2/to."

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3 Old 05-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular

welcome Choconilla before i changed schools and got an apartment that i share with friends i ate school food...so i know what you're sayin', its not easy to eat vegetarian for sure in that situation. but you can if you try, so good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Banned

choconilla short term is good ...just one day at a time
#5 Old 05-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB! Good luck with your vegetarianism
#6 Old 05-02-2007, 05:31 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

yes, 1 day at a time is the best way to do it. and you came to the right place, this is a place of support for people like you!

& i used to live in New Orleans, I know what you mean about the fried thing...it was hard as hell being VEGAN down there, much less just veggie!

but welcome!

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#7 Old 05-03-2007, 08:45 AM

thanx 4 the support every1!... i've been living on mashed potatoes, and beans so far... maybe it will get better this summer
#8 Old 05-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

*this space not for sale*
#9 Old 05-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by choconilla View Post

thanx 4 the support every1!... i've been living on mashed potatoes, and beans so far... maybe it will get better this summer

I don't want to scare you away from vegetarianism or anything, but it is possible to be an unhealthy vegetarian. If you're eating the same limited things over and over, there are probably nutrients you aren't getting. I'd recommend looking up the vegetarian food pyramid on the web as a start, and also checking out a good book on vegetarian nutrition like "Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis.

As a rule of thumb from the food pyramid, you should shoot for some sort of grain, some sort of beans or peas, and some sort of fruit or vegetable at every meal. Obviously, if you miss something in a meal here or there, it's not that big a deal, but this rule of thumb will help guide you to eating well balanced meals on a regular basis.

--Fromper

#10 Old 05-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB. I wish you luck in your vegetarian journey!
#11 Old 05-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by choconilla View Post

hi choconilla ...you might have worked out all ready , but there is a very good recipe section , the pictures will make you eat your screen
#12 Old 05-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello and welcome to vB!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page