Hello from Idaho - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-19-2007, 01:37 PM

Hi all! I'm new to this forum.

I grew up in Kentucky, in a vegetarian (ovo-lacto) family.

When I got married, eight years ago, my husband and I bickered a lot about food. We didn't have much money and he said we couldn't afford two different sets of food and he refused to go veggie so I ate a lot of c**p for several years.

I converted to Eastern Orthodox Christianity a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised to learn about Orthodox fasting. (Apparently most new converts dread it.) Every Wednesday and Friday, plus the 40 days before Christmas, the 40 days before Easter and several other religious calendar periods, Orthodox Christians become almost-vegan: no meat, no poultry, no fish with a backbone (shrimp, clams, etc. are still eaten), no eggs, no dairy. (Honey is also still eaten.) This diet is observed something like 180 days out of the year.

Between my husband's respect for my conversion and the fact that we have slightly more income now than when we first married, he gave his blessing to the fasting periods. It was hard for him at first: he'd want us to go out for milkshakes or he'd want to cook steaks and it would be Wednesday or Lent so he was out of luck (although he finally realized that he can make steak for just himself and the world won't end.)

Now I'm finding myself wanting to stay on an Orthodox fast year-round. Monks and nuns fast this way year round and the Orthodox layman is encouraged to do as much of the same things monks and nuns do as they can, so there is already a religious blessing on my going vegan (or mostly vegan) year round. But my husband is not keen on the idea at all.

I find that I feel really good during fasting times and then the fast ends and I have to eat the stuff my husband picks out (and he can pick out some really awful stuff!) and within a few days I'm feeling constantly nauseous and weighted down. And my weight goes up and down in rhythm with the fasting periods as well.

All this is to say that I'm here as a part-time veggie and reluctant part-time not-veggie. When people ask me "are you a vegetarian?" I don't have a good answer. "Yes" is not a true answer but if I say "no" things get really complicated when I keep turning down non-veg foods for, apparently, no good reason.

Here's hoping that some day I get my husband's blessing to join those of you who are full-time vegan. In the meantime, it will be nice to share vegan recipes and chat with others who enjoy my favorite kinds of foods.

Pleased to meet you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 03-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello and welcome. I hope your husband becomes more tolerant with veganism.
#5 Old 03-19-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_0810 View Post

Hello and welcome. I hope your husband becomes more tolerant with veganism.

Thanks!

It's not specifically veganism that he has a problem with so much as that it seems to make him feel bad when we aren't eating the same thing at the same time. He had these same issues when I first started dieting and that was only incidentally vegan (because those tend to be the lowest calorie foods.)

I think he's coming to accept the eating-different-things situation but I suspect it triggers some kind of primal emotional reaction in him, probably going back to childhood situations. That's just the feeling I get off it. I remember once in our first year of marriage he wanted to go to McDonald's and I wasn't hungry but said I'd drink some ice tea and sit with him while he ate and he nearly had a tantrum and said that I was ruining his dinner if I wouldn't eat, too!
#6 Old 03-20-2007, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

Blog: www.imarriedanomnivore.com
Twitter: @vegwife
#7 Old 03-20-2007, 08:06 AM

Welcome!
#8 Old 03-21-2007, 12:13 PM

welcome
#9 Old 03-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

welcome

Ooh! I love Basset Hounds!
#10 Old 03-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Siz

Welcome to VB, Sparrowrose

By the way, you're not a LJ member are you? I came across someone of your username in the longhair community on LiveJournal!
#11 Old 03-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

welcome to vb
#12 Old 03-21-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siz View Post

By the way, you're not a LJ member are you? I came across someone of your username in the longhair community on LiveJournal!

Yeah, that would be me! I have hair to my tailbone and I'm Sparrowrose on Livejournal (and most everyplace else.) That's my first and middle name and since just my first name alone is pretty much always taken anywhere I go, I got into the habit of using first and middle together as my typical screen name.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page