2nd time veg*n too... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-08-2007, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Hello ,

another recent post (2nd time vegetarian) has finally encouraged me to introduce myself too…

I’d already been lacto-ovo-vegetarian for several years when I went vegan for the first time in 1998 (mainly for health reasons then). Much to my regret, and although in perfect health, I went back to l/o/v two years later, and a while after that even slipped into eating fish/poultry – very occasionally, but still… It’s something I feel really bad about, and I know there really are no excuses. If there were any excuses, I’d say I was a “social omnivore” (stupid, I know) because sometimes I simply did not have the courage to be “the odd one out” and therefore “gave in”, and out of “politeness” accepted to eat certain food I was offered, although I did not want to eat it…

However, I began to think a lot about the many (ethical/ecological/health) reasons to go veg*n again, went back to l/o/v in early 2006, and then transitioned to vegan in autumn 2006. Reading e. g. veggieboards has encouraged me to do so and hopefully will help me to stay vegan for life.

I feel great about it, I am eating well (and a lot, without having to worry about my weight, which is always a good thing). Sometimes though I‘m having a hard time being questioned about veg*nism, and being picked on by omnivores for my choice. I don’t really want to “discuss” veg*nism with omnivores*, esp. not when eating together, and I wish my choice (animal-free) would simply be respected (like I do respect omnivores’ food/lifestyle choices*) instead of being ridiculed, or the explanations I give (which I do only when asked specifically) for why I went veg*n being turned against me as “missionary”… I hope that joining VB will give me some more support, and hopefully I might even learn to provide support to others who are totally new to veg*nism. Thanks for reading.

ETA July 30, 2008:

Wow, already being vegan close to 2 years now and ~18 months on VB can change a lot! I definitely do feel much more confident about discussing veganism now, and my views on animal exploitation and personal/consumer choices has evolved quite a bit... (to be exact I was only "strictly vegetarian" i. e. eating a dairy/egg-free diet back in 1998-2000, as I new next to nothing about animal rights, and "social omnivore"? Make that coward!)

Definitely vegan for life now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the Veggie Boards!
#3 Old 02-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 02-08-2007, 06:37 PM

Welcome. Congrats, and hope you stay with it this time.
#6 Old 02-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

Blog: www.imarriedanomnivore.com
Twitter: @vegwife
#7 Old 02-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

and welcome to VB!

See that you'll get the support you need.

Good luck!

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#8 Old 02-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

yea ethics/beliefs will stay with you no matter how much you are trying to hide them. dont be ashamed to be the odd one out. people will have more respect for you if you respect yourself. even if they dont agree with what you are doing.

welcome!!
#9 Old 02-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VeggieBoards! If you feel pressured by others to accept an non-veg offer, tell them that you are vegan and feel proud about being the "odd one out".
#10 Old 02-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! If you don't want to talk about your choices with obnoxious omnis, then tell them so. Just say, "I'd rather not talk about my food choices while eating," or "If you have specific questions I'll answer them, but otherwise I'd rather not talk about it." You have the right to get out of conversations you don't want to have.
#11 Old 02-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry it's a bit late but I just wanted to thank you all for welcoming me to VB (great place!) :-)

@eggplant: I'll keep these two replies in mind!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page