Hello from Scotland #2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-12-2006, 02:33 AM

a big hello from Glasgow. I was a vegetarian many years ago when i was 15 and i lasted for 4 years but i became very aneamic and iron tablets eugh i just couldnt stomach them but then the doc said either start eating meat and getting iron into you or we give you iron injections, so i started to eat meat again, but restricted it to chicken and fish mostly. I very rarely ate red meat. Howver the other night i was watching a tv programme and they showed the slaughtering of lambs ( a meat i never eat) and that was enough to bring me straight back to being a vegetarian though i admit i will still eat cheese, eggs (free range and from hens living in sspca and animal welfare society approved of course) and milk.

My problem is though that when i was veggie the last time, i lived at home and buying and cooking food for me was my mothers problem, however i dont have that luxury now lol plus my husband and son aren't vegetarians either. So how do you cook a tasty, hearty vegetarian friendly meal for a family? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

anyways, a big hello from Scotland again and ill certainly stick around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-12-2006, 02:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

There are meals that are already vegetarian, such as pasta, and meals that can easily be vegetarianized, if you can obtain meat replacers. There are Quorn products that are used for that purpose. I don't know what you have in Glasgow as I'm in the US, but if you have access to a store that carries meat replacers, you can use them to make all sorts of vegetarian meals that non vegetarians will like.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 11-12-2006, 04:44 AM

Hallo! We seem to be attracting a few of the Scottish persuation recently.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Millions of Scots! Yey! I'm in Fife!

Amy made some good points - you can easily find quorn in different forms (chunks, burgers, sandwich slices etc). TVP is another good meat replacer too, but if you aren't keen on this idea, then try beans, lentils, or tofu (though be careful with tofu!). Hummus is good on sandwiches with salad, baked potatos and beans or beans on toast are also good.

Good luck, and happy recipie hunting!

pirate x
#5 Old 11-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, and welcome to VB!

I would recommend making some soups and stews, since lots of them are veg with little to no replacement needed.
#6 Old 11-13-2006, 03:22 PM

welcome
#7 Old 11-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the Veggie Boards!
#8 Old 11-16-2006, 08:01 AM

hi and thanks for the warm welcome, never realised what i put my poor mother through the last time lol but i am definitely glad ive decided to return to being veggie. think it will help me lose weight to as there is so much fat in some meat and become a lot healthier plus its making my son question eating animals and the way they are killed and treated which is a good thing. thanks for the advice, definitely taking it all on board.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page