Thinking about becoming a vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-17-2006, 07:07 PM

Hi everyone. My name is Heather. I am married with 4 kids. I am 31 years old.

I have been a meat eater all of my life. Meat, junk food, soda, etc, etc. Just generally not healthy whatsoever. But I was always very thin, until I had my second child. Then I gained 70 or so pounds, 55 of which I still have! And that child is 9 now

So in my quest to find a way to eat better and get healthy, I have been reading alot of the vegetarian websites. I have thought about it before. But the desire for meat usually won out over the thought of the poor animals. But as I get older that is changing. I have been reading articles online about the treatment of animals being used for food and it makes me ill. I cannot bring myself to watch any videos about it. I want to, but I know once I do, I will never eat meat again. Which is what I want, but not. If that makes any sense. I really like the taste of meat. I wouldn't say love, but I do enjoy a nice steak. Which will be the hardest to give up! I don't eat any fish...YUCK! I am not a big fast food person anymore. I used to love McDonalds until I watched SuperSize Me. Now even the smell of the place makes me phsyically ill. Which is why I have not watched any of these animal treatment videos yet. Because that will seal the deal. Have I talked myself in circles yet.

I already cannot eat eggs because of the whole baby chick thing. The thought that a baby chick could be in that egg heebees me out. I am weird I know. The egg thing is recent.

My husband is a definite meat eater. Although he wasn't when I met him. He hardly ate any meat at all. I converted him! LOL. So he won't be giving it up. Neither will the kids. But hubby fully supports me in anything I do.

My main reason for doing it would be health. I am not healthy whatsoever and it really bothers me. I am only 31 and I shouldn't be this unfit, out of shape, and sluggish.

Well, that is it. I am surprised if anyone got this far without getting a headache!

Nice to meet you all

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Heather!

Yeah, those videos are horrific. I think I'd rather watch Dancing With The Stars in an endless loop than two seconds of Earthlings.

There are some great books you can read that'll give you similar information without all the gruesome imagery. Animal Liberation by Peter Singer to name one.

Anyway, welcome. Take your shoes off and stay a while.
#3 Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Heather, welcome to VB!

I have a couple of book recommendations for you, they may be a bit easier to handle than videos. "Mad Cowboy" by Howard Lyman, "The Pig who Sang to the Moon" by Jeffrey Masson, and "The vegan diet as chronic disease prevention" by Kerry Saunders. The first one focuses on environment/animal agriculture, the second one on the emotional lives of animals, and the third one is strictly health-oriented.

I personally have never watched any of the videos, but I am veg*n for mainly ethical reasons. I started out on this path for environmental reasons though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-17-2006, 08:26 PM

Thank you both for the welcome and the book recommendations! I will check them all out!!!!!!

Thanks!
#5 Old 10-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB, Heather! As for wanting to eat meat, there are lots of meat replacers available, from soy-based lunch "meats" to Tofurkey (fake turkey), UnChicken, millions of different veggieburgers, TVP (textured vegetable protein), etc. If you have access to a health food/natural foods market, there is a wide range of possibilities. Even the mainstream markets are getting into the act, although it still depends on where you live, i.e. the more rural the area, the less you'll find, I've read.

Anyway, there are lots of recipes on VB, so take a look and see what you like!

*this space not for sale*
#6 Old 10-18-2006, 01:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the Veggie Boards!
#7 Old 10-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome Heather!

I know how you feel. I used to be a huge eater of beef (I almost said I used to be a huge Beefeater, but I didn't want anyone to think I used to be a big bottle of gin). My absolute favorite was Portillo's Hamburgers. I'm from the midwest and grew up a "steak and potatoes" kind of eater.

I found after I went vegetarian that I felt better, was finding all kinds of food I liked (that were healthier), and my conscience was clear. I've never looked back.

I applaud your desire to look into something new.
#8 Old 10-18-2006, 01:03 PM

welcome
#9 Old 10-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Thanks to everybody for such a warm welcome! I am so happy with my decision. I am feeling better already and it hasn't even been 24 hours! LOL! The manager at our apartment complex gave me a hard time today (in a joking matter). My 9 year old daughter thinks its cool. Hey, maybe I can convince her to go vegan too! LOL.

Well, glad to be here!!!

Heather
#10 Old 10-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezycreezy View Post

I think I'd rather watch Dancing With The Star in an endless loop than two seconds of Earthlings.

Now that is just cruel and unusual.
#11 Old 10-19-2006, 12:35 PM

I first became a vegetarian for health reasons, but it later turned into being a vegetarian for every reason there is. Here's my personal account that may help you:

My mother is a vegetarian, but raised her three children as omnivores, her husband ate meat as well. My mother never spoke of being a vegetarian, or lectured us or my father about it at all (probably a good approach, no one likes a preacher). In fact, I didn't even make the connection that my mother was a vegetarian for a long time. As my sisters and I got older, all three of us became vegetarians by our own choice, my twin sister is actually a vegan. My father remained a meat eater and died of a heart attack at the age of 50. My husband is a vegetarian along with my sister's boyfriend.

So, you can see how one mother's healthy decision impacted her whole family for the better. I recommend the book "Skinny *****" it's a lifestyle and diet book revolving around being veggie.
#12 Old 10-19-2006, 02:05 PM

Welcome Heather

I guess most of us went through the same sort of heart searching, looking for clear cut decisions - do I want to be veggie or omni??? will I crave meat??? will it make a difference to the mass slaughter of fellow critters??? will it make a health difference???

Yes, it will make a difference, both for your health and for animals, but the health difference will not be an overnight improvement but a steady and gradual progression.

The smell and taste of meat will become less attractive as time passes - just like many reformed smokers now can't abide the smell of tobaco smoke.

As has already been said, there are many great products and thousands of veg*n recipies. Experiment... stay with the ones you like... abandon the ones you hate (I may never eat Tofu ever again) and remember you are among friends here Apart from those who were brought up veg*n, the majority of us have made the same decision at some time or other.
#13 Old 10-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi! congratulations on the change!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page