Dutch vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Beginner

Hello people,

I found a link to this board, so I registered myself.

I will introduce myself first. So you understand a little who I am.

I am Alex (male) and 19 years old. I am living in the Netherlands in Mijdrecht (ever heard of it? It is near Amsterdam.)

I am a vegan. First I was a (lacto-ovo-)vegetarian and I found out that drinking milk an eating eggs is not so good for the animals. I was a vegetarian since my 12th year and started about 2 months ago stop eating eggproducts and stopped with the milk.

I am still on school and I do something with computers (software part and a little hardware). I have an own company. This is a webdesigncompany.

I love the nature, so I started a website in the Netherlands, called DeNatuur.NL (translated: TheNature dot NL). Also I started a productdatabase called Vegantastic. It is not finished yet and it contains only dutch/belgium products.

I am also volunteer for some things. I have made a website for a foundation who are against animal abuse and that sort of things. Also I participate in a demonstration against fur with some activist of PETA. In the future I hope to do more for animals or for nature.

If you want to know more about me..just ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2003, 04:20 PM
Banned

Hey! Welcome!

Actually, I think I have heard of Mijdrecht, though I have no idea where. It just rings a bell...

Is it hard being a vegan in your area? I don't know how vegetarian-friendly it is over there (I'm in the USA), so, just wondering.

Cassie
#3 Old 07-22-2003, 04:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by vegancherrypie

Is it hard being a vegan in your area? I don't know how vegetarian-friendly it is over there (I'm in the USA), so, just wondering.

Cassie [/B]

In my area ( i live in a small village) there is not so much vegan food. I study in Amsterdam and there you have some shops who are having more vegan products and even more vegetarian food. In some supermarkets you will find products with a V(egatarian)-label, but not in everyone. Sometimes it is hard to find, but when you know where to look for, then is easy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-22-2003, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to the boards!
#5 Old 07-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello Vegantastic welcome to the boards..

My grandmother came from the Netherlands, so i hope one day i will get to travel there. (i am in the USA)
#6 Old 07-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

welcome aboard!

we actually have another netherlander here and I have a friend who is learning Dutch.

Post often and have a good time!
#7 Old 07-23-2003, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

1vegan should be happy! (he's another person from the Netherlands)

You should look him up.

Welcome to VB!

(and I'm NOT in the US! )
#8 Old 07-23-2003, 04:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Finlay and killthegirl are also dutch.

We're taking over the board!

Welcome
#9 Old 07-23-2003, 05:27 AM
Beginner

#10 Old 07-23-2003, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

ah yes, we are so big now I always forgetting some one!

(but you are the only Dutch reg., 1vegan.)
#11 Old 07-23-2003, 05:50 AM

Vegantastic , welcome to VB.

I am very happy to know you, a dutch vegetarian. I will go to Holland for a further education - a master course - in August (now I am in China). This is the first time for me to go to a foreign country, a totoally strange country.

I am a little worry about the living condition for a vegetarian in Netherland. Could you tell me some detail about how you deal with your food.
#12 Old 07-23-2003, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome
#13 Old 07-23-2003, 07:14 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by ganlu

Vegantastic , welcome to VB.

I am very happy to know you, a dutch vegetarian. I will go to Holland for a further education - a master course - in August (now I am in China). This is the first time for me to go to a foreign country, a totoally strange country.

I am a little worry about the living condition for a vegetarian in Netherland. Could you tell me some detail about how you deal with your food.

Ofcourse. I live in a small town, so much variation I don't have. Just vegatables and fruit. And some products with a V-label. That looks like

http://www.vegetariers.nl/pict/keurnvb.gif

That is a trademark you can find on products in the Netherlands. (you can find them at the supermarket Albert Heijn). This trademark is only on a few products (maybe 100 products).

If you are in the Netherlands, you must find the store Albert Heijn (AH). AH has more products for vegetarians and for vegans then other supermarkets. Also they have biologic food (vegetables and fruit) (EKO), which means they have products made with care for environment.

Looks like this: http://www.skal.nl/EKO-LOGOklein.jpg

For icecream, desserts and that sort of things you can look for the brands Alpro and Provamel. These products are good for vegetarians.

Also we have vegetarian restaurants in a lot of big cities.

In which city are you going to study? And which school?
#14 Old 07-23-2003, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Being vegetarian in the netherlands is absolutely NO problem.

The store vegantastic mentioned is the biggest supermarket around. In bigger city's (what we call big) there will be an "Albert heijn". You can see their logo on www.ah.nl
#15 Old 07-23-2003, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, Vegantastic! Welcome to VB!
#16 Old 07-23-2003, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! You sound very ambitious! Congratulations on going vegetarian at 12 - that's very admirable, and being vegan now!
#17 Old 07-23-2003, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to veggieboards Alex

I live in the US, and I have many dutch friends. Last year, I went to London for a week, and I took a two day excursion to Amsterdam and saw my friends. All I ate for two days was appel en oranje sap!

Later, on the tram going to Centraal Station we passed a 'natuurwinkel'! At this point, I was quite hungry, but I didn't have time to go to the store.

Next week, I'm going to Thailand, and I'm meeting my friend Mirella there. She's been traveling in Asia for 8 months, and I'm meeting up with her for three weeks. She's from Hoogeveen and very nice. I helped her go vegetarian 3 years ago.
#18 Old 07-23-2003, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, Alex! Welcome to VB! Hope you enjoy yourself, here. I know I do. It's a BIG help to talk to others with same mindset as your own.
#19 Old 07-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by mikie

[B]Welcome to veggieboards Alex

I live in the US, and I have many dutch friends. Last year, I went to London for a week, and I took a two day excursion to Amsterdam and saw my friends. All I ate for two days was appel en oranje sap!

There is more food in amsterdam for vegans

Quote:

Later, on the tram going to Centraal Station we passed a 'natuurwinkel'! At this point, I was quite hungry, but I didn't have time to go to the store.

Maybe tomorrow I go to that store, because a company which produced 100% vegetable mayo has adjusted this one and now it is not 100% any more, so I must travel to amsterdam and visit that store for some veganaise (vegan mayo ).
#20 Old 07-23-2003, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmmm Vegenaise.
#21 Old 07-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Vegantastic! I'm always happy to see Dutch people here, I have a soft spot for the Netherlands as I had many Dutch friends in Jakarta, and later lived in Holland for 2 years (Amsterdam, and lots of friends in Zaandam.) (I'm from the US, BTW.)

Maybe you can answer a question for me: is the salt licorice vegan?? A couple of people here on VB have told me that they think it is, but maybe you would know for sure? I love salt licorice, especially DZ!

I look forward to seeing you around.
#22 Old 07-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Beginner

Hello,

It depends on which brand. The most of the licorice has gelatin in it, but here we have also some brands who aren't use any gelatin.

Are they selling the licorice in US or do you have some real dutch licorice? If so you can say the brand, then I will try to look it up or ask around.
#23 Old 07-24-2003, 01:48 PM

Hi Vegantastic! Welcome to Veggieboards!
#24 Old 07-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I was afraid of the gelatin! No, I'm talking about real Dutch licorice ... I was thinking of trying to order some online or looking for it in imported food stores ... I don't know where to buy it in the US, yet. I haven't had it in a couple of years. But I want some!
#25 Old 07-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyk

I was afraid of the gelatin! No, I'm talking about real Dutch licorice ... I was thinking of trying to order some online or looking for it in imported food stores ... I don't know where to buy it in the US, yet. I haven't had it in a couple of years. But I want some!

I found a shop in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

http://www.dutchsweets.com/

(type in at google 'dutch food' and get many online stores)

Only the licorice they sell is not vegan. I know the venco is not vegan. The brands RedBand I don't know for sure, but I think RedBand is not vegan.

I will email to RedBand and Klene (some other brands) to ask if they have some vegan licorice.
#26 Old 07-24-2003, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

#27 Old 07-25-2003, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vegantastic

In which city are you going to study? And which school?

I will go to the university of Twente for a master of Environment and Energy management.
#28 Old 07-25-2003, 08:11 AM
Beginner

The university of Twente is in the city Enschede. I know some people in that area. They are vegan and I know they haven't got any problems to find some food, so for vegetarians there is plenty
#29 Old 07-25-2003, 08:18 AM
Beginner

Also in Enschede is a store called 'Natuur Winkel'. This is how it may look:

http://www.denatuurwinkel.com/

They got many biological food. Also they have food from brands like 'molenaartje', 'De Rit' and 'billy's farm'. You can ask in the store which food is vegetarian and/or vegan. I am certain they know more about it.

On this site:

http://www.vegatopia.com/restaurantgids/enschede.html

you can find some restaurants in Enschede (or other cities) who are vegetarian-friendly. If a restaurant has a orange 'V' after the name then they are only serving vegetarian food.

(This site is only in dutch, but you can see the names of the restaurants)

If you want to ask more then just ask.
#30 Old 07-25-2003, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegantastic, I could be incorrect, but I believe the term you're looking for in English is "Organic" instead of "Biologic."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page