New to Vegetarianism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-27-2006, 11:05 PM

I found this site on Google, and it seemed pretty friendly to newbies and friendly to lacto-ovo vegeatrians.

After browsing through Why We Eat, I became more interested in the topic, and from that book found out about and read Dominion, which really moved me in this direction. It may end up being one of the most meaningful books I've read in my life, in that it has prompted me to make this change in my diet; and merged the practical (vegetariansim) with my religious beliefs.

I'd like to know more about lacto-ovo vegetarian living - are there specific boards for the different types of vegetarians? This seems to be a pretty controversial issue - can/is there room for the different types of veg living?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-27-2006, 11:15 PM
MJZ

Quote:
I'd like to know more about lacto-ovo vegetarian living - are there specific boards for the different types of vegetarians? This seems to be a pretty controversial issue - can/is there room for the different types of veg living?

do you mean on veggieboards? if so its not really split up all that much here but it dosnt need to be in my opinion we all get along and all types of people have helped me here

"This seems to be a pretty controversial issue - can/is there room for the different types of veg"

I dont really get what you mean on that part
#3 Old 06-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB.

You'll find people who'll condemn you for being ovo/lacto, and other who'll say well done. I'm ovo/lacto myself and have found that if you want support then post in the support forums, if you want debate go to the compost heap.

There are all sorts of veges here, welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-27-2006, 11:19 PM
MJZ

I havent seen anyone condone lacto ovos here so far

That would be a pretty retarded thing to do lol Guess thats why i didnt understand what annlouise meant lol
#5 Old 06-28-2006, 06:31 AM

Hi, and welcome to VB!
#6 Old 06-28-2006, 06:50 AM

welcome!
#7 Old 06-28-2006, 11:42 AM

When I started being lacto-ovo two years ago, my reasons had to do with health and personal preference. As I became more aware of animal cruelty issues, I changed my "story" and started to tell people I was vegetarian because of animal cruelty--and people (not even veggie people) called me out for eating eggs and dairy since those are cruel industries, too. Finally I started to agree with my critics and I'm trying veganism. The biggest surprise so far? How easy it is.

If somebody gives you a hard time about eating dairy products and eggs, remind them that animal products are all around us, used, for example, in the production of the rubber tires that carry a shipment of vegan food. (That example comes from veganoutreach.org's excellent Q&A paper on the aims and practicalities of veganism). Everyone is probably going to use some animal products, whether intentionally or not. Your lifestyle choice (the ovo-lacto diet) is an admirable one. You can always change later if you feel you're not doing enough.

--David
#8 Old 06-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Beginner

Hello,

Some people will judge, others will not.I am ovo lacto, for the most part, I don't eat eggs, or drink milk (never like the taste of either one of these products, actually was sick as a child because of cow's milk.) The main thing is that you don't eat meat, and you are doing a lot because of this fact. If you want to reduce animal products in your diet, can always do this in the future.

Welcome to VB!
#9 Old 06-28-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJZ View Post

"This seems to be a pretty controversial issue - can/is there room for the different types of veg"

I dont really get what you mean on that part

It may be confusion on my part, since I'm new to the whole subject. I may have read it in the CIG to Becoming Vegetarian, on relating to different kinds of vegetarians. Not anything I read on these boards.
#10 Old 06-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

There are different kinds of vegetarians-- there are:

lacto-ovo (eats dairy and eggs)

lacto- (eats dairy but not eggs)

ovo- (eats eggs but not dairy-- in theory at least; I don't think I've met any ovo-only veggies)

vegan (uses no animal products)

raw foodist (eats all or mostly raw foods)

fruitarian (eats only the reproductive part of plants that can be taken without harming the plant)

We do have a separate Raw Food sub-forum, but other than that, we all pretty much hang together. And for the most part, we get along fine, although there can be occasional tensions. Just be sure to specify in your posts whether you're talking about vegetarian, vegan, or either (veg*n).
#11 Old 06-29-2006, 08:21 PM

Welcome and remember to check out the new to vegetarianism board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page