Greetings from Germany! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-13-2006, 05:45 AM

I found this site by searching at http://www.big-boards.com for vegetarian.

I'm 22 years old and vegetarian since I'm 13 or 14. I do not remember when exactly I decided to become a vegetarian, it must have been in 1997 or 98. I'm also not sure anymore how long I thought about it but I know that from the day on I took that decision I tried my best to avoid any product that directly implies the death of a living being. The reason for this decision was purely ethical. You might also say, logical. I asked myself, If I don't want to be killed and eaten, how can I eat others?. Now it's unimaginable for me to cause the death of a being just to eat meat.

It was pretty easy for me once I realized what it really means to eat meat. I also haven't had any problems telling other people about it. Since if you are vegetarian due to a moral-logical decision, you can be proud! It means that you are, unlike most other people, actually thinking further about your actions and that you are a rational person. Also it means that you are able to act on what you think is right, that you don't succumb peer pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 06-13-2006, 07:41 AM
Ankle Biter

Welcome! I like your attitude!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi XiXiDu! Welcome to VB
#5 Old 06-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi! Welcome!
#6 Old 06-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

You seem to be doing very well on your vegetarianism, and welcome to VB!
#7 Old 06-13-2006, 02:00 PM

Welcome to VB!
#8 Old 06-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Greetings, looks like you have an interesting homepage. I've heard of transhumanism some place before, possibly I heard about it here on VB, although I think more likely I stumbled across the subject on the net myself ages ago. I still don't know quite what its about, is it cyberborg stuff?... That stuff freaks me out if so!

I'm learning German btw, trying to! I am soooo beginner though, so don't ask me to speak it. I've been itsy bitsy about learning so I've been slow even though I've been at it for ages, learning in drip drip fashion, not very efficient of me, but anyway I am learning German to be mmore efficient in the first place right?...haha... It will come to me soon enough how to speak it (I hope)
#9 Old 06-14-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA~goth~UK View Post

Greetings, looks like you have an interesting homepage. I've heard of transhumanism some place before...I still don't know quite what its about, is it cyberborg stuff?

People that call themselve transhumanists support the enhancement of humans. Some just tend to eliminate all undesirable and unnecessary aspects of the human condition, such as disease and aging. Others want to radical enhance their physical and cognitive abilities to become more than human - posthuman - superhuman beings with possible superhuman powers and intelligence. This also includes possibilities of completely leaving the human form behind overcoming biological limitations. For example uploading, also known as mind transfer, whole body emulation, or electronic transcendence.

But simply using a cell phone or wearing contact lenses is also a form of enhancement and therefor what transhumanists advocate.

There are many branches and levels of transhumanism. It can include the support for designer babys and eugenics. Many transhumanists seek to enter a post-Darwinian phase of existence, in which humans are in control of their own evolution. In such a phase, natural evolution would be replaced with deliberate change.

The uplifting of animals to human level intelligence is as well within transhuman thought.

You can also read this FAQ:

transhumanism.org/index.php/WTA/faq/

-

I'm also a Singularitarian and therefor believe into the concept of a technological singularity.

Quote:
If computing speeds double every two years,

what happens when computer-based AIs are doing the research?

Computing speed doubles every two years.

Computing speed doubles every two years of work.

Computing speed doubles every two subjective years of work.

Two years after Artificial Intelligences reach human equivalence, their speed doubles. One year later, their speed doubles again.

Six months - three months - 1.5 months ... Singularity.

It would be too much to go into detail about the Singularity here. Just check out the links below. And stay open minded! It may all sound crazy, but don't forget that if you would have told someone who lived thousands of years ago about our technology today, the person would have thought the same. And this century we'll see thousands of years of progress at today's rate.

Transhumanism:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism

transhumanism.org

extropy.org

Singularity:

kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0134.html - The Law of Accelerating Returns

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularitarian

yudkowsky.net/singularity.html

sss.stanford.edu/others/glennreynolds/ - A quote on Singularitarianism

Quote:

I'm learning German btw, trying to! I am soooo beginner though, so don't ask me to speak it. I've been itsy bitsy about learning so I've been slow even though I've been at it for ages, learning in drip drip fashion, not very efficient of me, but anyway I am learning German to be mmore efficient in the first place right?...haha... It will come to me soon enough how to speak it (I hope)

I've learnt most online by talking to people in english, reading english articles and also by reading english books. People will correct you, trust me

What you have to do is look for a german forum or maybe look for a german clan of the game you are playing and join them. And most important is to always translate everything you don't know and ask people about your grammer. Here are two very good translators:

dict.tu-chemnitz.de

dict.leo.org

But note, they don't work for sentences, only for individual words and some phrases and sayings.

Of course the best you can do to learn a language quickly is to move to a country where they speak this language and live there for some time
#10 Old 06-15-2006, 01:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I see..... How far into it will you go into being tranhumanism, if you do ?

I don't have much time to reply, but its good to know at least that not all transhumanism needs to be cyborg advancement (or so called 'modern progress). Anyhow, how big is the transhumanism thing with you compared to other interests? Whats your ultimate goal, either realistic or fantasy?

thanks for the German translation links, any forums you know that are english friendly? I know quite a few already but I suspect you know a fair few extra being German yourself.
#11 Old 06-15-2006, 03:25 AM

Quote:

I see..... How far into it will you go into being tranhumanism, if you do ?

As far as I want? Let's say I would leave Germany and move to some other country if they would allow a specific action that isn't allowed in the European Union.

I would never accept anyone to dictate what I can do with my body and what I can't.

Quote:

Anyhow, how big is the transhumanism thing with you compared to other interests? Whats your ultimate goal, either realistic or fantasy?

I wouldn't call transhumanism an interest, it's just an attitude - "The Right to Human Enhancement".

My ultimate goal? That would be comprehension and having more fun. Regarding transhumanism, I'd like to become a software entity. Something that is hardware independent.

Quote:

thanks for the German translation links, any forums you know that are english friendly? I know quite a few already but I suspect you know a fair few extra being German yourself.

Not really. I'd say most are english friendly. What are your interests? Here is a gaming forum with 1.1 million members. I'm sure you can speak english there as well:

forum.giga.de

forum.giga.de/showthread.php?p=10836603#post10836603

^Funny one
#12 Old 06-16-2006, 04:17 AM

it's great to b veg! I have many frens of mine who r veg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page