A hateful vegan claimed I needed to go to this "lame" board. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-23-2006, 07:48 AM

I was actually referred to this board by someone who didn't consider me to be vegan enough to talk to them on their MySpace message board entitled "vegans eat the same things as everyone else, just minus the animal products". He, "Real Men are Vegan", said this was a "lame lacto-ovo board" that I was perfect for, because I don't believe that being vegan makes you superior to everyone else. I am really looking for vegans who love humans and their companion animals just as much, if not more, than they do farm animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-23-2006, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Was this vegan from Indiana by any chance?
#3 Old 03-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Beginner

Yeowch!

That's the kind of vegan that give veggies of all kinds a bad name.

Yes, we have L/O's here, along with strict veggies, vegans, Uber-Vegans, and I'm going to presume non-veggie lurkers. Most of us are nice here, with a few exceptions if you pick your topics right. Though I don't really find us 'lame.' I prefer diverse and accepting.

I'm Erica.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-23-2006, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

hey Shannon! i'm a cool vegan. welcome to the boards.
#5 Old 03-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

*snicker*

Welcome Shannon!
#6 Old 03-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

*this space not for sale*
#7 Old 03-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey, welcome.

I'm an easy-going vegan myself. I don't want to judge anyone for their food choices, just like I don't want them to judge me. Pretty simple.

You'll find a full spectrum here.
#8 Old 03-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Welcome!
#9 Old 03-23-2006, 09:33 AM

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
#10 Old 03-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

*shakes head sadly* Thats just....pathetic. I hate vegans who act like that. wvil little *******s
#11 Old 03-23-2006, 10:02 AM

I find it hilarious that any self-respecting vegan (or person for that matter) would even use MySpace in the first place, it's owned by Rupert Murdoch's company Fox, even if you over-look the fact that Fox is basically a right wing propaganda machine, Fox were at the heart of covering up the Monsanto scandal about them agressively using GM growth hormones in dairy cattle through most of the US.
#12 Old 03-23-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonLeigh View Post

I am really looking for vegans who love humans and their companion animans just as much, if not more, than they do farm animals.

I'm not trying to be snotty, but this bothers me.

Most people do love their own families (human and nonhuman) more than, say, the family down the street. That's normal and usual. I certainly love my dog and cats more than I love yours. And I love my human family more than I love yours. But I respect all beings the same.

That it's normal to love our own families more than others' is not a reason to place any particular species above another. Cows and pigs are every bit as precious and deserving of respect (or love) as cats and dogs. Respect is more important than love, imo.

I value and respect all living things equally, and I am puzzled that you seem to think "farm animals" aren't as worthy as humans and companion animals. Have I misunderstood? If not, can you elaborate on your POV?
#13 Old 03-23-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus View Post

I'm not trying to be snotty, but this bothers me.

Most people do love their own families (human and nonhuman) more than, say, the family down the street. That's normal and usual. I certainly love my dog and cats more than I love yours. And I love my human family more than I love yours. But I respect all beings the same.

That it's normal to love our own families more than others' is not a reason to place any particular species above another. Cows and pigs are every bit as precious and deserving of respect (or love) as cats and dogs. Respect is more important than love, imo.

I value and respect all living things equally, and I am puzzled that you seem to think "farm animals" aren't as worthy as humans and companion animals. Have I misunderstood? If not, can you elaborate on your POV?

Yes, you misunderstood. I said "just as much". I am tired of people who talk down on other human beings just because they don't put farm animals before themselves and their family. For example, I feed my cat food with meat in it because it is what his body is genetically engineered for. I cant afford the vet bills when he comes up with a UTI because of a vegan diet. So I do put him before the animals that go into his food.

My problem is not with the folks who choose extreme paths, though. That is their business. It is the people who would rather be love a farm animal than love a good hearted meat eating human being. They(some vegans) are missing out on alot of good friendships or relationships because they actually will tell you they are too good to associate with meat eaters or vegetarians (almost as bad).

I was definitely not trying to state that I dont care about the suffering of farm animals. But to shun the majority of humans? Ridiculous
#14 Old 03-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

You may find you have more in common with the people here than you do with that guy, Shannon. Glad you've come
#15 Old 03-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Beginner

Th
Quote:
ey(some vegans) are missing out on alot of good friendships or relationships because they actually will tell you they are too good to associate with meat eaters or vegetarians (almost as bad).

Eh? Are you saying that not associating with vegetarians is almost as bad as not associating with omnis, or that vegetarians are almost as bad at omnis? Not nitpicking or throwing a pissy fit but just curious.
#16 Old 03-23-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napalmtheory View Post

Th

Eh? Are you saying that not associating with vegetarians is almost as bad as not associating with omnis, or that vegetarians are almost as bad at omnis? Not nitpicking or throwing a pissy fit but just curious.

Think he's saying that some vegans (similar to the one that inspired this thread) consider themselves better than meat eaters and veggies, a holier than thou mentality if you will.
#17 Old 03-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Beginner

I've seen it. Kind of makes you shake your head.
#18 Old 03-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Beginner

sigh, and we have to undo the damage this jerk-off and others like him have done.
#19 Old 03-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax View Post

I find it hilarious that any self-respecting vegan (or person for that matter) would even use MySpace in the first place, it's owned by Rupert Murdoch's company Fox

Uh... I work for a Rupert Murdoch company. Guess I'm not a self respecting person then.

Anyways, Welcome fellow lame-o who loves her pets!

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#20 Old 03-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax View Post

I find it hilarious that any self-respecting vegan (or person for that matter) would even use MySpace in the first place, it's owned by Rupert Murdoch's company Fox, even if you over-look the fact that Fox is basically a right wing propaganda machine, Fox were at the heart of covering up the Monsanto scandal about them agressively using GM growth hormones in dairy cattle through most of the US.

Laugh at me all you want. I'm on myspace with my local veg*n group, and so are animal activism groups such as Action for Animals, CAA, folks from Peta, etc. I don't remember giving myspace any of my money for anything.

And about the dude from Indiana.... That was the very first thing that I thought of when I read the OP. Teehee!
#21 Old 03-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a "mere" L/O Vegitarian here. There are alot of Vegans here, seem to be more Vegans than L/Os-- I think more Vegans post on boards like this because they need more info and have more questions. There are tons of things they cant eat. I'm not that ambitious. There are also people who are so competitive that they have to destroy everyone's experience. Sorry you had to trip on one.
#22 Old 03-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonLeigh View Post

My problem is not with the folks who choose extreme paths, though. That is their business. It is the people who would rather be love a farm animal than love a good hearted meat eating human being.

What the? It's *still* their business and not your "problem" even if they'd prefer not to associate as friends with meat eaters, christians, card players, or any other such thing. So the guy didn't want to be your myspace "friend." Big deal.

I'd say from your first post you're coming on here with as much attitude as you say you're running away from.

My suggestion to people is to just take this or any board as they find it, if it suits them, great, but don't go looking for problems and making divisions off the bat.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#23 Old 03-23-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

I don't remember giving myspace any of my money for anything.

i don't mean to sound like a jerk but your (and other vegans, which probably adds up to a large number) usage statistics are what govern the prices Fox charge for advertising space on MySpace. For example they have some 60m registered users, which equates to a MASSIVE cost if you want to advertise to a group of 15-30 year olds who willingly input exactly what they want to be sold
#24 Old 03-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
I'd say from your first post you're coming on here with as much attitude as you say you're running away from.

I wouldn't say attitude, just coming here with a bit of a sour taste in her mouth from her recent brush with an Uber-Vegan. A bit put off maybe.
#25 Old 03-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, but then it looks like she's making others defensive, as people are rushing around saying "we're not like that!" and trying to answer to some dude they don't even know. Maybe she came at him in a really hostile way, we don't know.

Like, go on to a jewish board and say "a hateful jew claimed..." Not really a cool way to begin a relationship.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#26 Old 03-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

yeah, but then it looks like she's making others defensive, as people are rushing around saying "we're not like that!" and trying to answer to some dude they don't even know. Maybe she came at him in a really hostile way, we don't know.

From some of the comments in this thread, I'd be feeling pretty defensive MYSELF if I was welcomed this way...

So far you're the first person though, who's claimed she's making others defensive.. feeling guilty much?

I haven't read any attitude at all, but then I don't feel I have anything to defend, the boards speak for themselves and she'll discover whether they're a good "fit" for her or not.
#27 Old 03-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

"guilty" about what? What does that have to do with anything? I don't feel guilty about anything here.

You say in your first paragraph that you would be feeling defensive from some of the answers on here; then in the second you say no one is defensive. Make up your mind.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#28 Old 03-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have anything to feel guilty about.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#29 Old 03-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus View Post

This may be normal, but there really isn't a philosophical reason for it. When you make an ethical decision there is no legitamite reason to value a families life over another life. What makes a family member more morally significant than the neighbor down the street?
#30 Old 03-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

FR really needs a girlfriend

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page