Veggie me, round 2! lol - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi all~ I'm Becca, a WAHM to 2 kiddos~ Anna is 3 and a handfull, and Aaron is 17m and the biggest sweetheart. I was a vegetarian for 3 years, up until I got pregnant with my daughter... cravings for meat that didn't go away pulled me away from my veggie-self , and I didn't want to go back to a veggie diet until I had weaned her from breastfeeding~ WELL, I ended up pregnant WHILE breastfeeding, and am still nursing my little guy a couple times a day~ Anyway~

I've been wanting to go back ever since I quit, and I brought it up with my husband at breakfast a week ago~ Much to my surprise, he said that we should cut back on meat for the whole family... or better yet, just go vegetarian altogether. (he's willing to TRY at least)

We agreed that easing away from the high-protein diet we've had for the last 4 years is a good idea, so we're incorporating eggs into every other day's diet, so we don't go into shock or something, LOL, but all seems to be going well.

This is round 2 for me, and the first time for the kids and the hubby. I actually mentioned to him that if he isn't comfortable going ALL veggie, we could do this without a lable at all, and if he feels like having a meat dish while we're out, nobody will give him a hard time with it. But we're not buying or bringing meats into the house again.

It's more for health purposes for us~ dh has high cholesterol and needs to lose a little weight to be healthier again, and getting away from meats (and only allowing ONE egg per day) is a great way to do that with him. He's not all about saving the animals or anything~ he figures the slaughter houses are doing it whether we're eating it or not, and with us not buying it, they are actually tossing out MORE meat than before.... but that's a whole other subject. LOL~

OK, sorry for the rambling intro~ but that's me! Glad to have a forum this time around... will make questions easier when dh has them and I'm not up to date on info anymore. See ya'll around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB! I think it's great that you have such a supportive husband!

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 03-06-2006, 11:31 AM

Welcome and well done for succeeding second time round, I'm sure you'll do just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-06-2006, 12:07 PM

I post this everywhere but it seems especially pertinent to your situation:

http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Approximately 2.5% of adults in the United States and 4% of adults in Canada follow vegetarian diets.

A vegetarian diet is defined as one that does not include meat, fish, or fowl. Interest in vegetarianism appears to be increasing, with many restaurants and college foodservices offering vegetarian meals routinely. Substantial growth in sales of foods attractive to vegetarians has occurred, and these foods appear in many supermarkets. This position paper reviews the current scientific data related to key nutrients for vegetarians, including protein, iron, zinc, calcium, vitamin D, riboflavin, vitamin B-12, vitamin A, n-3 fatty acids, and iodine.

A vegetarian, including vegan, diet can meet current recommendations for all of these nutrients. In some cases, use of fortified foods or supplements can be helpful in meeting recommendations for individual nutrients. Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence.

Welcome to VB.
#5 Old 03-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks! After doing some reading (once I'd gone back to eating meat) I did find that information, about pregnancy and lactation~ If only I'd read it sooner, or found a suitable substitute to those crazy bacon and chicken cravings! The red meat ones must have been about iron, since I'm boarderline anemic, and go over the line when pregnant. (actually fainted at the store at 32 weeks, with my 1.5 yr old in the cart! Scary stuff)

Anyway! Thanks, and I'll have to hang onto that info to pass along to my mom or MIL in the event I am pregnant again WHILE veggie. I'm sure they'd stick their noses in, and documentation goes a long way.
#6 Old 03-06-2006, 01:18 PM

Btw, you didn't mention why you became vegetarian in the first place. Your huband's logic sounds strange: they'll kill them anyway??? Not if everyone gives it up and that is a gradual process.

The SPCA didn't just show up one day -- it was (hundreds of) years in the making. The idea of protecting animals (dogs and cats) from cruelty started when individuals recognized them as thinking, feeling creatures. Those same individuals had to stop treating dogs and cats the way everyone else was treating them. Slowly, over time the idea grew and now we have laws protecting them.

The same thing will happen if individuals (like you, your husband, me, others here on VB) recognize that we cannot contribute to this cruelty any longer. It won't happen if we all sit around and say "they'll do it anyway".

Well, that's my take on that, lol.

And as far as you going off your veg*n diet:

There are people in certain life situations who may need to continue eating meat for the time being. There was one woman here on VB who had become pregnant and was craving meat. I told her that her body wasn't craving meat but rather the nutrients inside the meat. The body knows what it needs and if it had obtained certain nutrients in the past from certain foods it will remember and will crave those foods if it needs those nutrients. I told her that she could get all those nutrients from vegetable sources but that if she was feeling overwhelmed and tired and no one else was stepping up to help her then she shouldn't feel bad about eating meat. In this society we are often contributing to the suffering of people, animals and the environment. So why would I expect her to be any different. I went easy on her, too, because she did recognize the cruelty in the meat industry. I didn't need to convince her of that. We all need to help each other to recognize the compassionate options we have and we have to help each other live out those options. I wasn't physically there to help her and make all different kinds of foods so she could see which vegetarian options finally filled those cravings.
#7 Old 03-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I want to say welcome too. My wife and I have two little ones a 5 y/o and a 2 ½ y/o. We are all vegetarian and doing fine. Have fun at the boards, there is a lot of great information and people here.
#8 Old 03-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatee View Post

Btw, you didn't mention why you became vegetarian in the first place. Your huband's logic sounds strange: they'll kill them anyway??? Not if everyone gives it up and that is a gradual process.

The SPCA didn't just show up one day -- it was (hundreds of) years in the making. The idea of protecting animals (dogs and cats) from cruelty started when individuals recognized them as thinking, feeling creatures. Those same individuals had to stop treating dogs and cats the way everyone else was treating them. Slowly, over time the idea grew and now we have laws protecting them.

The same thing will happen if individuals (like you, your husband, me, others here on VB) recognize that we cannot contribute to this cruelty any longer. It won't happen if we all sit around and say "they'll do it anyway".

Well, that's my take on that, lol.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally agree that his logic is a bit... off, LOL. It's actually why I'm shocked that he's willing to try this out at ALL. He knows what happens in the meat industries (we've talked at length about it) and figures these people will continue to do these things anyway, whether we're buying it or not, because the general public continues to consume it all at astonishing rates. (Go figure the simplicity of supply and demand in sales would just float over his head, LOLOL)

As for me... when I first started out it was because I disliked the taste and texture of meat. I never liked it even as a child and my parents did not know how to properly cook for a vegetarian, and would not stop serving me meats. They insisted I eat 1-2 bites of whatever meat they served, even as a highschool student. The MINUTE I graduated and moved away (almost the same minute, lol) I stopped eating meat. As a highschool student I convinced them I would NOT eat red meat whatsoever and the only thing they could force on me at all was chicken.

2 years of only chicken makes that taste really nasty, so I was thrilled to get away from it all. After I made the switch to ovo-lacto veggie, I started doing more and more research about it and learned what they do in food preparation and how they raise the livestock and chickens and all that horrible stuff. It made me even more happy that I was no longer contributing to it all~

I still dislike the taste of meat, eggs actually tend to make me nauseous unless they're in something (like bread), and combine that with the way they get the meat to the store in the first place, I see no reason to continue on as an omni.

With dh, it will be baby steps... he's cutting back on meat at this point (while the kids and I have stopped completely), and I'm serving no meat at home. This alone is a BIG step for him. Basically I'm showing him that veggie meals can be filling and tasty, and you feel so much better at the end of the day.

I don't know... bottom line, for our family as a whole, I'd say it's all about health... the animal cruelty thing is more on my end than his (that's a given, considering his statement)
#9 Old 03-06-2006, 03:44 PM

Sounds like you're doing an awesome job Becca -- keep it up. And maybe over time some of your common sense will rub off on your DH, lol.

You've obviously got a firm grasp of the many aspects of veg*nism and a sense of humor. You'll be a great asset around here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page