hi, just needed an answer - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2006, 04:26 PM
gum

hi, just signed up to get an answer on something that was puzzling me and a veggie friend of mine.

where better that a chat room for veggie's!?

um, well i'm not veggie so sorry about that, but my friend is, she doesn't eat meat or fish but eats dairy products now i define that as veggie.

if she also did not eat dairy products we came to the conclusion that would be vegan.

i used to go to school with someone who said they were veggie but they ate chicken? i think that's pescatarian (though i could be making that up)?

and finally my younger brother doesn't eat meat but eats fish (which i'd say is still meat!) does this have a name?

many thanks to anyone who can take the time to correct me on any of these definitions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Ex-*****

Hi there!

Here are some definitions for you:

Vegan = Person who eats a vegan diet and also avoids all non-food animal products.

Vegan diet = A diet that consists entirely of non-animal, non-cruelty foods.

Strict vegetarian = Person who eats a vegan diet.

Lacto-vegetarian = Person who eats a vegan diet + dairy products.

Lacto-ovo-vegetarian = Person who eats a lacto-vegetarian diet + eggs.

Pescetarian = Person who eats some kind of vegetarian diet + fish.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#3 Old 01-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Beginner

Yea, when you said the no meat but chicken, thats not a veggie thing at all. A pescaterian eats fish, which doesnt totally line up with the veggie aestetics because fish are animals, but some people include that anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

Hi there!

Here are some definitions for you:

Vegan = Person who eats a vegan diet and also avoids all non-food animal products.

Vegan diet = A diet that consists entirely of non-animal, non-cruelty foods.

Strict vegetarian = Person who eats a vegan diet.

Lacto-vegetarian = Person who eats a vegan diet + dairy products.

Lacto-ovo-vegetarian = Person who eats a lacto-vegetarian diet + eggs.

Pescetarian = Person who eats some kind of vegetarian diet + fish.

I think some people often forget that being a Vegan means not wearing animals products either. I have a friend that eats a Vegan diet for health reasons but still wears leather and stuff, so there is a difference. Personally I am a lacto-vegetarian, but I don't wear animal products either. The only reason that I am not a vegan is because a lot of the foods I eat have dairy as an ingredient, and I hardly ever eat cheese. I generally called myself a strict vegetarian because I was borderline vegan, but I am just going to say lacto-vegetarian from now. Thanks for the definitions!!!
#5 Old 01-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

If your friend eats no meat or dairy but still eats eggs/honey, she is not a vegan. Vegans do not eat meat/eggs/dairy/honey or anything else that came from an animal.

If someone eats chicken, thus only doesn't eat red meat, they're called "I don't eat red meat" but they aren't a vegetarian at all in any way, shape or form. They don't get a special word.

If your brother only eats fish, that term is pescatarian, but it still isn't a form of vegetarianism cause vegetarians don't eat animals and fish are animals.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 01-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

In addition veganism isn't just a diet, it is a lifestyle to try to minimize animal products in everyday things (shoes, beauty products, etc)
#7 Old 01-18-2006, 09:49 AM
gum

thanks to everyone for clearing all that up for me,

i now know my brother is a pescatarian and my friend is a lacto-ovo-vegetarian.

i knew my bro wasn't a proper veggie, well he never claimed to be, but now i have a name for him.

thanks again and take it easy all

ps: i'll pass this place onto my lacto/veggie/pescatarin friends and family as i see you have a number of themed boards which they may find interesting.
#8 Old 01-19-2006, 11:31 PM

Hi Gum, Although many might be cool to diets that seem alien compared to veganism, numerous people who wish to go veg., but approach it in increments...losing some stuff at a time, and usually ending as a vegan, if that's their goal. In the great past, vegs. often ate eggs, white meat of chicken, or fish moving towards a better diet, and they hadn't good markets like us moderns with alternatives. Best, ak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page