Hi From Florida - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-06-2006, 10:07 PM

Hi folks. Introduce myself, eh?

Well, let's see. I'm in my 40s and just decided on going on a veggie diet the first of the year. No, it wasn't a New Years resolution thing. LOL

I've suffered from IBS all of my life. I've seen a number of doctors over the years, received conflicting advice and many prescriptions, none of which actually helped all that much, and flushed a lot of money down the toilet. I decided to just take matters in my own hands and go for what I see as the causes of the problem.

After tracking my diet and IBS attacks I could see a definate pattern in that dairy products, meat, and fat seemed to be the primary triggers and decided to simply remove those items from my diet.

I am basically now on a vegan diet, but do not call myself a vegan as I have been informed by a few vegans that unless I was doing it for ethical/AR reasons I am not a "good vegan". So I refer to myself as a vegetarian, if the topic of diet even comes up at all. I really dislike labels anyway.

I live totally car-free, and have done so for a year now. I was in a nasty car wreck Dec. 26, 2004 which nearly killed me and left me laid up with a badly shattered pelvis for several months. I started riding a recumbent bicycle as a part of my physical therapy so that I could walk again. I have stuck with that and now ride a recumbent everywhere I go. I like the financial savings of not owning a car, and it's nice to know that I am not contributing to air pollution or oil depletion.

My new dietary habits are a result of a desire born from my car wreck recovery period to reorganize my life and get healthy again. I used to be very active, doing a lot of hiking, camping, whitewater rafting, and other activities that I am no longer able to do because of the injuries. I ride a bike, and do as much as I am physically able, and am now eating healthy in order to help my body heal and recover.

Besides, as I plan to live forever, I may as well have a healthy body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

welcome mason, i really like what you had to say about being car free. while i am not car free, we are a one car family and while it was originally temporary due to financial hardship, i feel more and more committed to staying that way.

you sound like you have a great attitude about so many things. hope you like it here.
#3 Old 01-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Veggie Regular

welcome to vb!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-07-2006, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 01-07-2006, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Welcome Mason! Sounds like your'e doing great.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 01-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome, Mason!
#7 Old 01-07-2006, 12:13 PM

Thanks, folks.
#8 Old 01-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page