Family doesnt like it:( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-20-2005, 12:52 PM

Hi, just wondering if anyone else has a husband or wife that does not want to go vegetarian. My dh thinks im crazy for wanting to be strictly vegetarian and i am trying to raise my 2 children the same,but he keeps giving them meat,taking them to mcdonalds,etc.. Anyone know of any good recipes to trick him into thinking hes eating meat? or suggestions to get him to at least TRY it? Im not going to force it on him ,i just wish hed give it a try, and stop acting like im just going through this little phase. I guess he doesnt think im going to stick to this or something. Hes been trying to get me to eat meat. Hell hold up a peice of something he thinks i want and say" look how good this looks.. and you cant eat any haha" well hes actually grossing me out by holding that piece of a dead animal in front of me. well ill quit rambling,but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA,vanessa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Baby Love

Well, you all are going to have to talk about how to compromise with the kids. After all, they are his too. I'm sure the idea is still new and intimidating to him. Perhaps, you can eventually manage a meat-free home, but allow your family to choose what they want when out to eat. I'd suggest involving your family more in the decisions. Sounds like you are currently in a power struggle.

As far as, the waving meat in your face goes, you need to talk to your husband about how it makes you feel. Tell him you feel disrespected and hurt. He may even feel the same way himself. After all, if you are rejecting his preferences/habits/choices he may feel you'll eventually reject him. A good long talk is in order. I'd recommend against any 'tricking'.
#3 Old 11-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Ankle Biter

Gosh DHs can be frustrating! Probably your best defense will be to stay consistant over time. Once he realizes that this isn't a phase, that you like your new diet, that you're eating plenty of variety, he may start to come around. As far as the fast food goes, get him a copy of Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser or rent "Supersize Me". Once he realizes what he's really feeding his children, he'll stay away from fast food! Good Luck!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Gosh, that's terrible! I'd definitely sit him down and tell him you are trying to be healthy and raise your children with a healthy lifestyle.
#5 Old 11-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I second the serious talk idea. It may be worth making a deal with him such as, "I won't wave tofu in your face if you stop waving meat in my face." Whether he supports you or not, phase or not, that is completely unacceptable. I'll tell you right now that anyone who waves meat in my face won't be sitting down to another meal with me anytime soon.

As for the kids, let me first point out that I'm not a parent. A lot depends on how old they are. But if he's feeding them more fast food than you're comfortable with, that's not just a vegetarian issue, that's a general health issue. Another good book on the subject is Food Fight by Kelly Brownell and Katherine Battle Horgen.

I'd suggest taking it slow for now. Work on getting him more comfortable with the idea of you being vegetarian, and work on getting more plant-based foods into the kids. BTW, how long have you been vegetarian? If you just switched in the last few weeks, there's a good chance things will settle down if you just persevere. But if it's already been months or years and this is still a problem, then clearly you'll need to take further steps.
#6 Old 11-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page