Yo. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2005, 01:32 AM

How's it goin? Name's Sam, I'm a guy from Oregon, who has decided to test willpower and morals and gone vegan. Just yesterday, in fact. So, wish me luck. I'm living in a town that's generally quite vegan friendly (Eugene), but the people I live with are NOT vegan, which will probably make things a mite difficult. They do support me though, so I can count on them. And, on suggestion from a few of my friends, I bought this book "How it All Vegan," and it seems like a pretty good book for beginners.

I do have a few questions though:

1. What are some "sneaky" animal products found in some more mainstream products? I know that white suger for example has ground animal bones in it, but there are undoubtedly many other things as well.

2. Milk and Cheese. I know their addictive properties, and I figure they will be the hardest things for me to kick, so I was wondering what methods you guys use to beat them? I was thinking of just stocking soy milk, which I like more than regular milk, but cheese could pose a nasty temptation.

3. On eating and weight. So, it's my intention to continue to have an athletic lifestyle with this, and actually have a better one as a result, so I was wondering what you guys recommend for energy, both burst and sustained.

Anyway, good to meet you all, and hope to talk to you soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2005, 06:15 AM
Beginner

Hello and welcome to VB
#3 Old 06-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Hi Sam, good luck on your choice!

Quote:

1. What are some "sneaky" animal products found in some more mainstream products? I know that white suger for example has ground animal bones in it, but there are undoubtedly many other things as well.

I think some sugar is filtered using bone char, I don't think it's actually in the sugar and I don't think it's all mainstream sugar. I'm not positive about that though. Other things to look out for are soup stocks, gelatin, and "natural" flavors. You'll probably also want to know if any fried foods are fried in vegetable or animal oils.

Quote:
2. Milk and Cheese. I know their addictive properties, and I figure they will be the hardest things for me to kick, so I was wondering what methods you guys use to beat them? I was thinking of just stocking soy milk, which I like more than regular milk, but cheese could pose a nasty temptation.

I'm not a vegan but I don't drink cow's milk. What I found easiest and usually suggest to people is that they gradually work their way down to skim milk and then switch over to soy, rice, or nut milk. Personally I prefer rice or almond milk but most people say Silk is the closest thing to "regular" milk.

Quote:
3. On eating and weight. So, it's my intention to continue to have an athletic lifestyle with this, and actually have a better one as a result, so I was wondering what you guys recommend for energy, both burst and sustained.

I'll have to leave this one to the experts.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I like Eugene. It's on my list of places I would move if I ever had to leave CA.

Anyway, good luck on your new veganism. There are threads on hidden ingredients around here. If I find one, I'll come back and post a link. I make most of my food from scratch, especially in the summer when I have free time, so I don't worry much about the hidden ingredients. I do think it's weird that veggie cheese isn't usually vegan, but since fake cheese is nasty (in my opinion), that's not really a concern of mine.

Milk wasn't hard to cut out since I never liked it, but cheese.... that's my bane. I'm not vegan, but at home I don't eat anything that isn't vegan, and then if I go out to eat I let myself eat cheese. For some reason, knowing that I'm not denied it forever helps me not miss it so much even though I don't often have cheese when I eat out (since, lately, I only eat out at Thai places and they don't use cheese ). So... finding cuisines that have never used cheese in their food is a good place to start. You may miss cheese on a veggie burger if you're used to having cheeseburgers, but you're not going to miss cheese in Pad See Yu (there is no way to spell that with English letters...grr) because that food never had any associations with cheese to begin with.

You can definitely continue your active lifestyle. There are a bunch of us here who are exercise fiends. You may want to check out the hamster thread. While that thread is more about logging your exercise than nutrition, I'm sure they'd love to give you tips on what they eat for energy.

Have fun hanging around the boards.
#5 Old 06-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Yo. Welcome to VB.
#6 Old 06-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Beginner

welcome sam
#7 Old 06-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

hello and welcome

i really wouldn't worry about sugar too much ... it has touched animal bones but it doesn't have them in it.... but i would watch out for things Michael has mentioned. I find gelatin kind of tough to look out for

also some fish products - fish sause or w/e that thing is and anchovies being added to ceasar dressing and some other sauses. hmm most non-dairy cheese stuff usually has casein in it and that comes from milk .... and those non-dairy creamers too. cheese is usually tough to cut out but if you like hummus and nutritional yeast it shouldn't be a problem ...

uh i dunno what else, i'm not really an expert - i'm not vegan (but i have tried before)

good luck !

ttyl
#8 Old 06-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Michael is right, the final product doesn't have animal bones in it. Some water supplies are also filtered through bone char, so some (many?) vegans don't worry about the sugar if it is in already processed food. It's up to you if you want to worry about it, there are no rules about being vegan, it isn't about being perfect, it is about doing the very best you can to live animal free.

Welcome to VB!
#9 Old 06-22-2005, 01:13 PM

A good plan Clouds...And thanks for all of the responses!
#10 Old 06-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

welcome to vb!
#11 Old 06-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Soy milk www.silkissoy.com vegan cheese www.imearthkind.com

Welcome to VB!

#12 Old 06-22-2005, 06:43 PM

'So... finding cuisines that have never used cheese in their food is a good place to start.' -Mskedi

i agree with Mskedi. ive never been big on meats before i went vegan but i always loved cheese. i like loved it loved it. id put it on anything and everything. but when i made the adjustment to become a vegan i changed my diet radically. the first month and a half i didnt make any dishes that would normally call for cheese in or on it. i dont really dig on the fake cheese. and Vicky said it too a lot of the fake cheeses have animal by-products in them any how.

good infromed support from friends and family really makes a great difference too. my husband isnt vegan or vegetarian and when we would go to the store to buy bread or what not i would get so frustraited but he supports my choice completely so it helps keep my head clear and reminds me of why i made my choice.

well welcom to vb and its a great thing that your doing. im sure youll get alot of great help and support here.
#13 Old 06-22-2005, 08:43 PM

Welcome!
#14 Old 06-22-2005, 11:44 PM
Veggie Regular

hi

whey and casein or sodium caseinate are a couple other dairy biproducts you should watch for.

also gelatin/gelatine, lecithin (usually specifies soy if it's veg otherwise may be animal sources-email the company if you're not sure) carmine (red food colouring made from beatles)

vitamin D3 (in most margarines) is generally not vegetarian

those are the major ones that come to mind that i always have a tough time avoiding. just flip through the vegetarian/vegan forum there's all kinds of threads about stuff like this.

congrats on going vegan and good luck! best advice i can give to a new vegan is don't sweat the small stuff. don't freak out if you 'cheat' now and then at first. it takes a while to adjust physically and emotionally and finishing off stuff in your cupboards that's not vegan does not make you a horrible person. take your time, do it your own way and don't let anyone rag on you for being less than 100% vegan. you'll do fine, it's easier than you think

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page