hey considering vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-20-2005, 08:56 PM

i have been considering to be a vegitarian for awhile but i dont know if i can go with out milk products and some other food products because I have some health issues. also i dont like too many beans and food like that so i dont know if it would be healthy to switch to a vagan diet. if u have any ideas or sugestions i would really appreciate it. thanks

also can you be a vegitarian with eating milk products? just wondering cuz im stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

welcome to vb!

there's lots of info on this site that you might find helpful...and if you have specific questions...feel free to ask us!!
#3 Old 06-20-2005, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegans are the ones that don't drink milk (and ovo-vegetarians), run-of-the-mill vegetarians do consume milk. However, there is also soymilk, rice milk and almond milk if you're interested in trying alternate milk sources.

It'd help if you told us what you can't eat, or what problems you're trying to work around, if you can. What falls into "food like that" when you mention beans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-20-2005, 09:17 PM

if you're currently a non-vegetarian, I'd suggest starting out as a vegetarian first (a lacto-ovo vegetarian, for example). The sudden switch to veganism could be too overwhelming right away. Of course it depends on the person and what works for them, but you could consider it, nonetheless. oh, and congratulations and welcome!
#5 Old 06-20-2005, 09:24 PM

well i have frequent migranes and sometimes if i dont drink milk i have problems (dont ask) and what i mean about the foods i dont like is that the many times i have tried beans i didnt like them. also im worried about calcium with the milk because i dont know if that will make some of my back problems worse.

ive heard too many rumors
#6 Old 06-20-2005, 09:53 PM

also i have an issue with my oven so i cant bake so that limits me too.
#7 Old 06-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!
#8 Old 06-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't stop your drinking milk, then, just cut out meat (that does include fish, as they are animals). You don't need to touch a bean if you really don't want to. You don't need to have to bake, even if you just have the stovetop, or a microwave, that's fine. Really, it's more of a challenge to cook meat than to cook vegetarian stuff, most of the time.

Look around at the recipes section of veggieboards. What sort of foods DO you like?

Your diet should include fruits, vegetables and whole grains, and you should take care that you don't consume many more sweets and junk food, which some vegetarians do at first when they don't learn how to replace meat.
#9 Old 06-21-2005, 08:33 AM

i like eating alot of fruits and veggies and pasta. but the only way i eat bread is if its like a sandwitch. so im guessing ill just have to eat more pasta and rice and cereal to get grains.
#10 Old 06-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

#11 Old 06-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

There's also rice and rice dishes. If you've never had brown rice before, you might want to try that. You need to cook it longer than white rice and use a different water to rice ratio, but it's tasty. You can also try couscous, and there is whole wheat pasta that has more protein in it than typical pasta.
#12 Old 06-21-2005, 01:26 PM

also ive been thinking more and more about becomeing one i have to figure out how to tell my dad because we will have to change our shopping list and i am the only one changing my diet

any ideas
#13 Old 06-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB.
#14 Old 06-21-2005, 03:53 PM

welcome to vb

maby some of your answers might lie with the reason you have considered becoming a vegetarian. i know i thought i wouldnt be able to go without dairy. but when i really thought about why felt the need to go vegan it wasnt nearly as difficult to cut the want. there are always ways to get around things. like substituting food for like foods or speaking with a type of nutritionist. but in all i wish you smooth sailing.
#15 Old 06-23-2005, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopie View Post

welcome to vb

maby some of your answers might lie with the reason you have considered becoming a vegetarian. i know i thought i wouldnt be able to go without dairy. but when i really thought about why felt the need to go vegan it wasnt nearly as difficult to cut the want. there are always ways to get around things. like substituting food for like foods or speaking with a type of nutritionist. but in all i wish you smooth sailing.

i cant really do that because im worried about my health and i dont think my body can go with out those things. I understand that other people can but some times im not one of them.like i tried going 30 hours with out food because it was a famine my church was doing and i go sooo sick, and i dont want my self to get sick like that every day.
#16 Old 06-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Beginner

welcome
#17 Old 06-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

*this space not for sale*
#18 Old 06-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumblonde0312 View Post

i cant really do that because im worried about my health and i dont think my body can go with out those things. I understand that other people can but some times im not one of them.like i tried going 30 hours with out food because it was a famine my church was doing and i go sooo sick, and i dont want my self to get sick like that every day.

Vegetarians eat food. They don't typically starve themselves for 30 hrs in a row.

If you could let us know what medical problems you are trying to avoid, and your specific nutritional needs, we might be able to better advise you.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#19 Old 06-26-2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumblonde0312 View Post

well i have frequent migranes and sometimes if i dont drink milk i have problems (dont ask) and what i mean about the foods i dont like is that the many times i have tried beans i didnt like them. also im worried about calcium with the milk because i dont know if that will make some of my back problems worse.

ive heard too many rumors

i could have sworn i already said that.
#20 Old 06-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Yea, but none of that is too specific or makes too much sense if you don't know background.

Do certain foods trigger your migranes? What problems do you have if you don't drink milk? (If we don't ask, how would we know how to advise you?) You said you didn't like a lot of foods, and only mentioned beans. We don't know what back problems you have, or how much calcium you need in day.

IMO, none of that is contraindicatory to a vegetarian lifestyle unless you're leaving out some pretty serious details.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#21 Old 06-26-2005, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, since she's antsy about it, why don't we just give her advice on being vegetarian and save veganism for when she's ready for it?
#22 Old 06-27-2005, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

Well, since she's antsy about it, why don't we just give her advice on being vegetarian and save veganism for when she's ready for it?

thank u yeah im not ready to become a vegan. im having enough things going to figure out how im even gonna eat.
#23 Old 06-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

#24 Old 07-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Beginner

Hi Two Book I suggest are

Becomming Vegan and Becomming Vegetarian By:Brenda Davis

hope that helps

And Welcome to the group

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page