Hello hello, vegan teen from Canada :) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-20-2005, 02:00 PM

Hey everybody, this is my introduction, I'm nineteen, I'm a vegetarian recently turned to veganism, but i still live at home with my parents and I struggle quite a bit. Sometimes i win the fights and I have lentils for supper, sometimes i loose and mom cooks chicken, which, at the very least is organic.

I'm going away next year so it'll be very interesting to see how my diet changes and to see if I cna look after myself without parents and a nutritionists watching over my shoulder.

I study sociology at Carleton U and I want to study anthropology and geography in order to be a forensic anthropologist.

I became a vegetarian five or six years ago when we moved from a small town to the city and I had more resources available to me. I am also always interested in natural medicine such as homeopathy. I'm also into botany, renewable energy, ethanol and the politics of world hunger.

So...thats me, in a nutshell. I can't think what else to add....

I like red. specifically carmine or scarlet. there you go. now you know everything about me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Beginner

Hello and welcome to VB
#3 Old 06-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Beginner

Carleton University? That's awesome! That's on my "I hope I can go to University there" list. It's actually been at the top of my list for quite a while, but I've been considering Toronto (but I'm re-considering due to expensive living costs). Anyways, I'm assuming you're Ontarian (though you may have moved from elsewhere) and I am too.

Anyways, er, welcome!
#5 Old 06-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

welcome to vb!
#6 Old 06-20-2005, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!
#7 Old 06-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Hiya! Once upon a time I wanted to go to Carleton, but I stuck to UBC out here in Vancouver.

Welcome!
#8 Old 06-21-2005, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarinatutu View Post

Carleton University? That's awesome! That's on my "I hope I can go to University there" list. It's actually been at the top of my list for quite a while, but I've been considering Toronto (but I'm re-considering due to expensive living costs). Anyways, I'm assuming you're Ontarian (though you may have moved from elsewhere) and I am too.

Anyways, er, welcome!

that's awesome. Are you going next year? U of T is expensive, but I know alot of really fun people there who could look out for you, lol. I won't be there next year, I'm taking a yera off to travel around Canada, but yes I hail from Ottawa, i've lived there for five or six years. Its pretty, especially on the experiemental farm, and the agricultural museum.
#9 Old 06-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome. I'm a Carleton grad.
#10 Old 06-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Beginner

booooo (haha just kidding) i'm a queen's grad

welcome, and i'm sure you'll LOVE living on your own, i know my eating habits have only improved since moving out (5 years ago)

peace
#11 Old 06-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!
#12 Old 06-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Queens doesn't have the program I took. Otherwise I definitely would have preferred to go there, being from the area and all.
#13 Old 06-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Queens doesn't have the program I took. Otherwise I definitely would have preferred to go there, being from the area and all.

really? where in the area? and do you shop at tara foods and the goat? and if so, what's the deal with the sudden (well, last 3 years) influx of more animal products than i can shake a stick at! The goat used to be nearly vegan 3 years ago (when i wasn't) now that i am, all they serve is bacon and eggs for breaky!? jesus, if i wanted that, i'd go to any OTHER restaurant in town... i want my tofu scramble back!
#14 Old 06-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Beginner

welcome
#15 Old 06-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm from the area (Belleville to be more exact, but many of my relatives are in the Napanee/Kingston area) but I don't live there anymore. I moved when I went to University, got a job after, and never went back. I haven't spent any more than a day or two back home for six years.
#16 Old 06-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

#17 Old 06-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Napanee eh? that's a stone's throw from where some of my relatives are (Eganville)

welcome Thaer i'm from northern ontario originally but currently living in Stratford after a 3 year stay in Mississauga. i went to sheridan college oakville. the bus i took every day stopped at the U of T mississauga campus, it was absolutely beautiful. err that was kind of useless info but there you have it lol

also my grandparents live in Ottawa. i have a vague memory of going to the experimental farm when i was visiting them as a kid. that was about the time i first started wondering about vegetarianism and why we eat meat. all i remember about that whole trip is looking into the eyes of a very scared looking calf and thinking "why would i want to eat you?"

anyway check out the Ontario forum there are a bunch of us

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#18 Old 06-24-2005, 02:11 PM

I think I would live in Kingston if I could; my sister's at RMC, my brother and his GF live in Belleville and my godparents run a candy store in Brighton near in Brighton. I love small town Ontario!

I'm a little worried that when I move out I'll become the biggest cow ever. Either that or I'll just foget to eat/buy groceries and die. its good to know that some people actually eat better when they move out.

On another note, I just held a fundraiser dinner last night, raised 550 dollars serving traditional Kenyan food; it was all vegetarian and we actually ran out of one dish. I was really really pleased with the results and I was able to feed fifty people for $100.00 and we had loads left over. It was hilarious because people were so suprised that they were satisfied and actually STUFFED with a meatless meal.
#19 Old 06-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaerSturing View Post

I think I would live in Kingston if I could; my sister's at RMC, my brother and his GF live in Belleville and my godparents run a candy store in Brighton near in Brighton. I love small town Ontario!

I'm a little worried that when I move out I'll become the biggest cow ever. Either that or I'll just foget to eat/buy groceries and die. its good to know that some people actually eat better when they move out.

On another note, I just held a fundraiser dinner last night, raised 550 dollars serving traditional Kenyan food; it was all vegetarian and we actually ran out of one dish. I was really really pleased with the results and I was able to feed fifty people for $100.00 and we had loads left over. It was hilarious because people were so suprised that they were satisfied and actually STUFFED with a meatless meal.

Yeah I wanted to go back home when I finished university, but my huband and I unexpectedly found employment in the city so we stayed.

And regarding the fundraiser: good for you!
#20 Old 06-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaerSturing View Post

that's awesome. Are you going next year? U of T is expensive, but I know alot of really fun people there who could look out for you, lol. I won't be there next year, I'm taking a yera off to travel around Canada, but yes I hail from Ottawa, i've lived there for five or six years. Its pretty, especially on the experiemental farm, and the agricultural museum.

God, I'm really confused as to where I'm going or what I'm taking. I'm still thinking Carelton (if I'm accepted) as an option, but it wouldn't be next year (I'm in grade 11). I'm especially confused about what courses to take as I have NO clue what I want to be. Psychology interests me, art interests me, business interests me...but I could never have a job where I have to combine, let's say, art and corporate duties (charts, etc.). It's very complicated at this point in time and I'm restless (I don't think I'll ever be able to maintain in one career track the rest of my life. It would become tedious for me).

Ottawa is pretty. I find it to be really clean (litter wise) in the downtown area, which is odd because normally (and even in the case of Peterborough, where I live) you'd be expecting to see some trash and vandalism. It's a pleasant mixture of city life as well as natural beauty within kilometres of eachother, which is nice.
#21 Old 06-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

*this space not for sale*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page