Toronto Vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2005, 02:36 AM
Beginner

Finally found a cool veggie board! There are a few out there, but the others seem kinda dead or are really poorly organized. I'm vegan, 20, female, from Toronto. Getting frustrated with living in a meat-centred world. Just looking for some new veggies to chat with, and if you're from Toronto, even better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2005, 05:03 AM
Beginner

Hello and welcome to V8.
#3 Old 05-10-2005, 05:05 AM

Welcome to VB!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-10-2005, 08:59 AM

Hey I'm in Toronto too! Not for long as I'm moving (again) soon. Have you ever checked out TARS (Toronto Animal Rights Society)? They have a weekly (or bi-weekly?) potluck dinner/discussion.
#5 Old 05-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

welcome to vb!
#6 Old 05-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

*this space not for sale*
#7 Old 05-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope you enjoy your stay with us.
#8 Old 05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

We've all been there once or twice. Welcome!
#9 Old 05-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB from a fellow Torontonian!
#10 Old 05-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I have been to the TARS potlucks several times.They're awesome.
#11 Old 05-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

#12 Old 05-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123 View Post

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I have been to the TARS potlucks several times.They're awesome.

I've heard of these. I'm curious as to what they're like. I probably won't ever check them out because i'm too lazy. Ever been to Fressen? That place is *****in'.
#13 Old 05-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Beginner

The TARS potlucks are cool. Get about 50 people coming out to each one. All ages. I'd say most people are in their 30s, but there are some youner (like me) and quite a few older as well. You chat and eat adn tehre's always an after dinner presentation/speaker that's somehow related to animal rights. I can't post the link to their website cuz im a new member, so search good for "toronto animal rights" if you want more info.

I have to admit that I'm often lazy and have skipped a bunch myself, but I'm always happy when I actually go to one.
#14 Old 05-12-2005, 08:45 AM

I love being in this city cause there are so many vegan options.

I've never been to Fressen, but some of my faves are: Bo De Duyen (on Spadina), Buddha's Vegetarian (on Dundas West), Simon's Wok. Can you tell it's Chinese or nothing for me??
#15 Old 05-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonfld View Post

I love being in this city cause there are so many vegan options.

I've never been to Fressen, but some of my faves are: Bo De Duyen (on Spadina), Buddha's Vegetarian (on Dundas West), Simon's Wok. Can you tell it's Chinese or nothing for me??

The Gluten Roast at Fressen is *****in'. If you like chinese, go to Sang's Great Seafood Restaurant and order a General Tao Tofu combo. It's not on the menu, but they'll make it for you. It's so *****in'. Fpr $7.50, it comes with a spring roll and a soup. Although, I cannot tell you if it's 100% vegan.
#16 Old 05-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstars View Post

The Gluten Roast at Fressen is *****in'. If you like chinese, go to Sang's Great Seafood Restaurant and order a General Tao Tofu combo. It's not on the menu, but they'll make it for you. It's so *****in'. Fpr $7.50, it comes with a spring roll and a soup. Although, I cannot tell you if it's 100% vegan.

People still say "*****in"?
#17 Old 05-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Finally found a cool veggie board! There are a few out there, but the others seem kinda dead or are really poorly organized. I'm vegan, 20, female, from Toronto. Getting frustrated with living in a meat-centred world. Just looking for some new veggies to chat with, and if you're from Toronto, even better!

Hi, from a fellow Torontonian!
#18 Old 05-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

*takes notes*

I'm going to Toronto during the summer holidays, can't wait to try all the veg. food there!
#19 Old 05-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Beginner

Went to Fressen once, but it was for that music thing late on a Sunday night. Unfortunately the kitchen was closed. But I plan to go back sometime. Bo De Duyen... also keep meaning to go, but haven't made it there yet. I heard that they do sell some meat dishes, is that true? My favourites are Vegetarian Haven and Cafe 668. King's Cafeis also pretty good, but it's frustrating that they don't label the vegan items on their menu. I could eat chinese food all day every day. Mmm.
#20 Old 05-12-2005, 08:27 PM

hey i just moved to toronto, and i'm really excited about all the veggie restaurants there are to check out!
#21 Old 05-12-2005, 09:11 PM

I also like Vegetarian Haven...I have never been to Fressen..where is Fressen?
#22 Old 05-12-2005, 09:53 PM

fressen is on queen street, just walked by it today heh.
#23 Old 05-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post

People still say "*****in"?

Just me

Quote:

Went to Fressen once, but it was for that music thing late on a Sunday night. Unfortunately the kitchen was closed. But I plan to go back sometime. Bo De Duyen... also keep meaning to go, but haven't made it there yet. I heard that they do sell some meat dishes, is that true? My favourites are Vegetarian Haven and Cafe 668. King's Cafeis also pretty good, but it's frustrating that they don't label the vegan items on their menu. I could eat chinese food all day every day. Mmm.

How could I forget to mention Veggie Haven. Their drumsticks are the *****inest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumsy View Post

hey i just moved to toronto, and i'm really excited about all the veggie restaurants there are to check out!

Welcome to Toronto!

I hope yer all heading down to the Vegetarian Food Fair this year! It's happening the weekend of Sept. 9, 10, 11 at the Harbour Front Centre.

You can get all the info here http://www.veg.ca/foodfair/

I had a booth there last year for my clothing company. For the 3 days, all I did was EAT. If there is a heaven, it will be much like the Veggie Food Fair.
#24 Old 05-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Fressen is on Queen just west of Spadina, to be precise. Nice place to take a date. More importantly though, a nice place to eat veg*n foooood. YUM.
#25 Old 05-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Beginner

Agreed. The veg food fair is awesome. The food. The presentations (Dan Pirarro was my favourite last year). The veg people. I wouldn't mind heaven being something like that.

I got a call from my landlord this eve. Apparantly they are selling the apt, so I have to leave when the lease is up at the end of August. So... a) I have a spare room. If you know anybody who's looking for a summer sublet in a vegan apt in Toronto, PM me. b) Starting in Sept, I'll need somewhere new to live! If you know of anything, pls tell me.
#26 Old 05-13-2005, 07:08 AM

Can someone please tell me where Fressen is and is it vegan? I live in TO and woudl like to check it out.
#27 Old 05-13-2005, 10:00 AM
Beginner

Fressen is Queen W & Spadina if I remember correctly. Check out www.veg.ca and work your way to their vegetarian directory for more restaurants and veggie things in TO

Oh, and it's definitely vegetarian, maybe vegan.
#28 Old 05-13-2005, 10:58 AM

Quote:

It's a budhist restaurant-they can't sell meat. They sell mock meat dishes-seafood, fake chicken, pork etc.
#29 Old 05-13-2005, 11:00 AM

And boo. Every year I miss the vegetarian fair cause I'm out of the province for work. This year's no different-moving to Nfld in June for work-won't be back till next March.
#30 Old 05-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I recently went to Bo De Duyen and it is completely vegan. You should try the "duck" which is a soy/tofu mixture. DELICIOUS!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page