Guten Tag - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi,

Only just found this forum and I think it's great, especially, because none of the people I meet in RL are veg*n!!

I live in Germany and have been an ovo-lacto-vegetarian since 1991 (more lacto, less ovo), first militant, then gave up trying to seek understanding from other people.

I have absolutely no idea how to cook, so I basically live off salads, yogurt, and healthy bread, and very successfully so.

Looking forward to meeting you all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by doola

Hi,

Only just found this forum and I think it's great, especially, because none of the people I meet in RL are veg*n!!

I live in Germany and have been an ovo-lacto-vegetarian since 1991 ...

Hi, Doola. Welcome to VeggieBoards.

This topic has come up a couple of times recently. One of the people on this board, with_open_eyes (an Australian), is now living in Germany and having a bit of a hard time in part because her knowledge of the German language is a bit limited.

Could you tell us a little more about yourself and how you came to be living in Germany? How well do you speak/read German? Would German veg sites (in German) be helpful to you?

Also, what part of Germany (what city?) do you live in?

Need more info.

C'ya.

Joe
#3 Old 05-11-2003, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Herzlich Willkommen! .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-11-2003, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi doola, I'd be happy to talk to a German!!! Welcome!
#5 Old 05-12-2003, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

As many know, I would LOVE to know German!

GREAT to have you at VB!
#6 Old 05-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi everybody .. for the second time today, because I got logged out and lost the first message I had written to you

Thanks for the very international replies, THIS is why I love the Web, you get to meet people from ALL over the world!

And even people who would LIKE to know GERMAN! I usually struggle against people refusing to learn it, who sit in my class (yes, I am a German teacher)

Now my question: why do you want to learn German? Usually it is considered a rather harsh-sounding language, in comparison to, for instance, Italian or French.

I moved to Germany (close to Frankfurt, right in the center) with my parents when I was 8, but I am a Romanian by birth.

This is the first time I ever looked for anything that has got to do with veg*nism on the Net, don't know why. I guess I have been a vegetarian for such a long time, that I tend to forget about it and just instincly make the right choices when it comes to eating.

Thus, I don't know how many German veg*n boards there are, neither how good they are (well, boards are always good, especially if the people meeting there are non-animal eaters, right?) I try not to use German sites too much, because they are too limited to the German speaking population, whereas English speaking sites are frequeted by people ALL over the world, and, after all, that is what's cool about the WWW.

I hope I answered all the questions, I am still a little confused because the first message was gone... could I know a little about you now?

Doola

PS: I already feel at home!
#7 Old 05-12-2003, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey!

Ich hoffe es gefaellt Dir hier!

What part of Romania? I'm from Hungary but I lived in Austria for some 10 years. I know what you mean about the German sites.

See you!
#8 Old 05-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by doola

And even people who would LIKE to know GERMAN! I usually struggle against people refusing to learn it, who sit in my class (yes, I am a German teacher)

Doola

Here are some sites that might be of interest to you. Not necessarily for "chat" but to learn more about how to cope with life as a veg*n in Germany.

How do I know about these? Because a local veg*n college student I know in a local environmental group here will be an exchange student in Germany next (academic) year, so asked me for this information.

EarthSave does have a chapter in Germany. Here's the

contact info. Visit the site and drop them an e-mail.

Germany Höhenstraße 8 61250 Usingen / Kransberg GERMANY

Phone: 06081 - 688 684

FAX: 06081 - 688 686

Email: [email protected]

The International Vegetarian Union lists member organizations in Europe here:

http://www.ivu.org/europe.html

The one listed for Germany is

Vegetarier Bund Deutschlands

http://www.vegetarierbund.de/

But it looks like I had much better luck by checking the source code and using

http://urmel.dusnet.de/vegetarierbund.de/main.phtml

It looks like their contact info is as follows:

Vegetarier-Bund Deutschlands e.V.

- Geschäftsstelle -

Blumenstr. 3

D - 30159 Hannover

Tel. : 0511 - 363 20 50 Telefonzeiten: Mo 10-13 Uhr Di+Do:15-19 Uhr

Fax.: 0511 - 363 20 07

Email: -> Kontaktformular

Internet: www.vegetarierbund.de

Instead of giving an e-mail address, they have some sort of web-form for you to use--at least that is my best guess.

Also try:

www.vegan.de
#9 Old 05-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

www.vegan.at

is also not bad!
#10 Old 05-12-2003, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

HALLO !!!!!!!

welcome doola!

i'm about 3-4 hours north of you in Münster!

hope you enjoy visiting VB ... it's awesome here

if you want some easy yummy recipes, then i recommend checking out my website (with ingredients easily found in german health food stores/supermarkets) etc)

go to >>> http://www.rootsofcompassion.org

mein deutsch ist nicht so gut aber ich kann ein bisschen verstehen.
#11 Old 05-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello Joe, Oatmeal and With_Open_Eyes

Gosh, so many urls, that's going to keep me busy for a looooong time now. Thanks Joe!!

Oatmeal (=Haferflocke?), I am from Bucharest, where are you from exactly? (Not sure if I would know it, unless it's on the way between Austria and Romania (then I would have passed it by car). Is it?

Hallo, sprichst du Deutsch With_Open_Eyes? I should teach this phrase in class, it sounds very sweet.

What are you doing in Germany and are you having a hard time understanding how everything works? Did you manage to figure out the "Flaschenpfand" yet?
#12 Old 05-12-2003, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

German recycling regulations are awe-inspiring .

I was in Romania last summer (in Bucharest too), it's a beautiful country.
#13 Old 05-12-2003, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Ja ich bin Haferflocke weil ich Haferflocken liebe!! Ich mach sie in der Mikrowelle!

Aha - my mom's family is from Transylvania (there are many hungarians there as you will know). I'm from the South, the town of Pecs which is very close to Croatia.

See you around fellow Eastern-European-heritage vegetarian!
#14 Old 05-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

And the dutch ones aren't? I always thought the Netherlands were whatever is good about Germany (not everything is, just like any other counytry) times 3!!

Yeah, I realized how beautiful Romania was when my uncle took me on a trip to all the monasteries in the North. But it makes my heart ache to see the poverty and desperation of the people there.

Did you just go there on vacation?
#15 Old 05-12-2003, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, it was a vacation in the sense that it was during the vacation. It was more of a journey or travel, really (except for the last three days on the coast). I went there with a group from the church to really learn something about the land and the people (I even learned a bit of the language).

The people are poor indeed , yet I also saw a lot of hope and optimism when I was there.
#16 Old 05-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Sooo, Oatmeal, you make oatmeal in the microwave.. Is that oats and milk and nothing else????????? I like muesli (when I am moving to the States I will have to bring about a ton of it with me, I can't believe they don't sell muesli in the supermarkets there!), but just oats... ich weeeiiss nicht.. and without anything sweet in it ...

Sure I know Transylvania! That's where our Romanian vampires come from

- - - - -

What church did you go with, Finlay? I am guessing it was not the orthodox one

So do you guys not have Pfand (refund) regulations in the NL??
#17 Old 05-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I went there with a rather liberal, small, Dutch protestant church: the Remonstrants .

There are refund regulations, but garbage-seperation is much, much less advanced then in Germany.

Is there Pfand on cans in Germany? Or was that proposal shot down in the last instant?
#18 Old 05-12-2003, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

All the cans are refundable (25 cents) . Thank God! It was about time! Did you know that they are illegal in Denmark, or so I heard. And all plastic bottles that were non-refundable before, now are (25-50 cents) but have to be brought back to the store they were purchased at together with a proof of purchase. I am not really sure about glass bottles, but I remember the wine industry putting their foot in it and so the government changed their mind.

And something weird is happening now, the indutry came up with bio-degradeable plastic bottles, that can be sold without requiring a refund! Now isn't it strange, that out of a sudden they are having these new bottles!?

Sometimes you have to FORCE people, if talking does not help. The bad thing is that the stores just throw those bottles and cans away

Oh, and as to refundable bottles that were refundable before, nothing has changed. Confused? You are not the only one.

How are the refund regulations in the NL?

Are there any in Australia, US, England?
#19 Old 05-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a purist! Oats and *water*, that's all!

(Maybe a few raisins...)

I have seen and bought Familia brand muesli in Californian health food stores, which is i guess as authentic as it gets. It was yum!

And the bulk section features a lot of mueslis/granolas too. But your mileage may vary (where are u moving to?).
#20 Old 05-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

In the Netherlands you can get a refund on all kinds of large PET plastic bottles and on glass beer bottles (though they re-introduced throw-away bottles recenty ).

What do you put on your muesli (I put orange juice on it).

Oatmeal: how long and at what settings do you put it in the microwave?
#21 Old 05-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Finlay, I nuke it on high. If it's regular old fashioned oats (like Quaker brand), it takes 3:35 in our MW. If I use extra thick old fashioned ones (i get them from bulk bins), it takes ca. 4 mins. Then I take it out and stir for ca. half a minute. I let it stand for 2 mins to thicken. Enjoy! That's Oatmeal's oatmeal recipe!

I don't use quick or instant oats - bah!

Muesli I eat straight out of the box!
#22 Old 05-13-2003, 02:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Oatmeal . . . My horses eat better then you!!

And I want to learn German b/c my fathers father came from Germany, so its in the blood!
#23 Old 05-13-2003, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi back Otmeal and Finlay,

hmm, muesli and orange juice? I tried it once when I ran out of yogurt and milk, it's not too bad, but I would only do it in moments of desperation

I will be moving to Rhode Island, and so far, I have not found muesli there or anything that would be really whole-meal. I guess California or Florida would have been a better choice..

So, Oatmeal, how DO you make oatmeal in the microwave??

--> oops, question answered!
#24 Old 05-13-2003, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

"Oatmeal . . . My horses eat better then you!!"

Boese, boese, Alpaca Guy!

That was your first German lesson: boese means evil..

..or bad.
#25 Old 05-14-2003, 12:53 AM
Veggie Regular

> Oatmeal . . . My horses eat better then you!!"

Just watch Mr. Alpaca, I might outlive your horses in the end
#26 Old 05-14-2003, 01:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Is that bo-ese or boe-se or what??

We will see Oatmeal! The race it on!

so I'm evil?

oh well, couldnt hind it forever.
#27 Old 05-14-2003, 02:01 AM
Veggie Regular

it's böse, written oe, when you have no ö key (and don't know how to do it in HTML).
#28 Old 05-14-2003, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

hi doola!

i can speak a little german but not alot. i am too lazy to learn all the der, die and das's ..... it's so hard to remember !!!

i can get by with my broken german though so it's not really a problem.

i can understand more than i can speak which is nice (finally) but still difficult depending on what the conversation is about ....

i didn't have much trouble working out the pfand thingy out cause of my bf hence why i am here he taught me alot so i haven't had much trouble luckily.

we don't have it in australia (except south australia i think - can other aussies confirm that?) and the recycling system in german kicks serious butt over that in australia .... i don't know what i'll do when i finally go home!
#29 Old 05-14-2003, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi doola, welcome to VB
#30 Old 05-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, yeah, the Umlaut. I have been using an American keyboard for so long I don't even notice I am constantly replacing the dots with an e. Apologies for that.

---

With_open_Eyes:

aaaah, l'amoooore! So you are here because of your bf but will be going back to "Down Under"?? Did you just come here for a year or so?

---

Thanks 1vegan! Funny that you should pick Alf as your avatar, isn't he always chasing after the poor cat?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page