VeggieBoards banner

Living in a BBQ world-Hello from Texas!

751 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Tom 
#1 ·
Hello I'm Kimi, I've been vegetarian for about three weeks now and it is a struggle in texas where barbecue is the staple meal for most Texans.

I mainly switched to vegetarian diet for health and environmental reasons and also in only 3 weeks I've noticed some improvement in various aspects of my health.

For three weeks I have had no meat or fish, the only thing truly stopping me from becoming vegan is cheese. Cheese is the devil.

Thank you

#2 · (Edited)
Hello I'm Kimi, I've been vegetarian for about three weeks now and it is a struggle in texas where barbecue is the staple meal for most Texans.

I mainly switched to vegetarian diet for health and environmental reasons and also in only 3 weeks I've noticed some improvement in various aspects of my health.

For three weeks I have had no meat or fish, the only thing truly stopping me from becoming vegan is cheese. Cheese is the devil.

Thank you
Hi Kimi, and welcome to the forum!

Your local grocery store may sell vegan burgers and hot dogs - you might like to bring some to the next barbecue. Vegan burger patties can be a bit dry on the grill - I usually brush some veg oil onto them.

Hormel and Dennison - the famous canned chili companies - both make fantastic vegetarian (vegan) chili. Your local store may carry these, also.

Vegan cheeses are becoming better and better. "Chao" brand vegan cheese slices are very good for cold sandwiches.

#5 ·
Welcome, Kimi!

I always liked vegetarian food, even before I went veg.... but I have to admit that some foods I rely on are quite bland (beans, particularly). If you still love the taste of barbecue, you might still enjoy beans seasoned that way (although I know chili doesn't always have beans in it). Whenever I try making a new food, I make small amounts so that I don't wind up making a big batch of something I don't enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.