Isolated vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi!

I'm a beginning vegan. I was *almost* vegetarian for about five years ( I ate fish occaisonly) but now I'm trying to as vegan as I can. Eating vegan is easy for me (I love to cook), but finding things like vegan shoes is near impossible out here (I'm going to school in Utah; it's quite different from the SF bay area I grew up in).

Anyone have tips on how to survive as a vegan in a *very* conservative/ backwards environment? My nutrition prof regularly preaches the wonders of animal protein. yick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!
#3 Old 10-17-2004, 08:55 PM

Welcome to the boards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Manger les enfants, c'est pas une bonne idee. Les parents n'aiment pas quand on mange leurs enfants.
#5 Old 10-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome Morticia! I feel your pain re: isolationism (went to school in Oklahoma). Are you near any big cities? Maybe we can find some info on veg restaurants/groups, etc.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 10-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Morticia;

There are some good mail order web sites for vegan dry goods ( www.pangea.com and veganessentials.com ).

You might find these sites helpful:

http:/www.veganoutreach.org/starterpack

http://www.veganhealth.org

You've come to the right place. Peer support, even if it is virtual can help.

Welcome Aboard!

Steve

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#7 Old 10-17-2004, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm about 45 mins south of Salt lake city, which has a few vegan-friendly restaurants that i know about. my husband and i do our grocery shopping at the local health food store and at an international food store, so we've had pretty good luck with food. non-leather items, on the other hand...blah. i'm glad to find a vegan group, even if it's not in person. The next time i get a lecture on how animals were put on earth to be eaten ... somehow i don't think factory farming was what Genesis was refering to.
#8 Old 10-18-2004, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morticia View Post

I'm about 45 mins south of Salt lake city, which has a few vegan-friendly restaurants that i know about. my husband and i do our grocery shopping at the local health food store and at an international food store, so we've had pretty good luck with food. non-leather items, on the other hand...blah. i'm glad to find a vegan group, even if it's not in person. The next time i get a lecture on how animals were put on earth to be eaten ... somehow i don't think factory farming was what Genesis was refering to.

Well, sometimes it helps to count your blessings.

You have a partner and a place to buy the stuff you need. Many veg*ns do not even have that.

If you have cash to travel I would highly recommend you go to some of the veg*n conventions/gatherings around. They can really be fortifying.

I went to Summerfest last summer and I am still living off of the positive reenforcement( http://vegetariansummerfest.org/ ). Check their site out around april......they plan to have another one in June. Hundreds of vegetarians living together for 5 days. It is a blast.

I love the nick, btw

Steve

#9 Old 10-18-2004, 12:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I also have the incredible fortune of being from the bay area. Last time i visited my parents i went up to a bean farm half moon bay and loaded up several kilos of lentils/beans etc. they've fed us through many a week when we didn't have time to go to the store.

am hoping to go do phd in CA, where vegetarians aren't thought to be heathens and republicans aren't in the majority.
#10 Old 10-18-2004, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morticia View Post

I also have the incredible fortune of being from the bay area. Last time i visited my parents i went up to a bean farm half moon bay and loaded up several kilos of lentils/beans etc. they've fed us through many a week when we didn't have time to go to the store.

am hoping to go do phd in CA, where vegetarians aren't thought to be heathens and republicans aren't in the majority.

<Dr. Smith from LOST IN SPACE voice>

Oh, the pain, the pain.

</Dr. Smith from LOST IN SPACE voice>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page