New to forums, veganism, and basically everything. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 AM

Talking New to forums, veganism, and basically everything.

Hi! I'm 17 and attempting to transition to veganism. I want to become vegan for multiple reasons, specifically for the treatment of animals and the environment. I'm also interested in the health benefits.

A little backstory:
I'm currently a senior in high school, living with my parents. My parents are heavy meat-eaters, and I've attempted veganism/vegetarianism before, but they are heavily discouraging about it. I've always been interested in veganism but so far it's been out of my reach. I now have a job and purchase most of my own food, so I'm looking for vegan recipes to try and hopefully I can make some vegan friends along the way. I'm an environmentalist and I am trying my best to cut out all unnecessary plastics from my life. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2018, 04:21 AM

Hey Ashesix, welcome to the forums!

I remember trying to be vegetarian while living with my parents, they were very closed minded. However, through making delicious foods that they liked minus the meat (and dairy in your case) they began to come around. I would start with making very simple dishes that you can make a little more of than for just yourself and offer it to them as an appetizer, that way they can eat their meat in their main course.

I would suggest you start with some dips, like hummus or my favorite baba ganoush. And maybe some soups. these are traditional meals that dont usually have much if any animal product int hem, so they won't be too much of a stretch for your parents to get into.

My parents also loved their tea and coffee, one of the first things I got them onto was nut milk, so take some of those home and see if they like it.

What do your parents eat on a regular bases? I may be able to suggest specific meals I have made that would impress.

My personal favorite vegan resource is Minimalist Baker. The quality of her recipes are VERY high, just start with the simple ones and you can go wrong.
#3 Old 02-19-2018, 07:24 AM
Impeach the gangster

Welcome, @ashesix !

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-19-2018, 12:37 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesix View Post
Hi! I'm 17 and attempting to transition to veganism. I want to become vegan for multiple reasons, specifically for the treatment of animals and the environment. I'm also interested in the health benefits.

A little backstory:
I'm currently a senior in high school, living with my parents. My parents are heavy meat-eaters, and I've attempted veganism/vegetarianism before, but they are heavily discouraging about it. I've always been interested in veganism but so far it's been out of my reach. I now have a job and purchase most of my own food, so I'm looking for vegan recipes to try and hopefully I can make some vegan friends along the way. I'm an environmentalist and I am trying my best to cut out all unnecessary plastics from my life. Thanks for reading!
Hi ashesix, and welcome to the forum,

It's understandable that your parents are concerned about your health - all good parents are. However, all mainstream health organizations have stated that properly-planned vegetarian diets are healthy.

You might try showing your parents these webpages, from reputable, mainstream health organizations:

American Heart Association's statement on vegetarian diets: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Health...p#.Wos0KKrfOpo

American Diabetes Association's statement on vegetarian diets: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...r-vegetarians/

American Academy of Pediatrics statement on vegetarian/vegan diets: http://pedsinreview.aappublications....ntent/25/5/174

Kaiser Permanente's (one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States) statement and guide on vegetarian diets: http://www.kphealthyme.com/Healthy-E...ased-Diet.aspx

Your parents might be reassured if you plan your vegetarian diet with the help of a Registered Dietitian - your family's doctor should be happy to refer you to one.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 02-19-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Tags
new-veg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page