New to the Vegan lifestyle, need advice. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By UpperSpoon
  • 2 Post By David3

#1 Old 02-14-2018, 09:43 PM

New to the Vegan lifestyle, need advice.

Hello, thanks in advance for any advice that comes my way. I was having elevated A1c issues, (6.2%), we'll call it pre-diabetes, so beginning in January, I quite quickly transitioned to a vegan diet...with Youtube being a big help. I have since lost 16 pounds, and it is very hard for me to consume more than 1000 calories a day. I had a metabolic panel done this Monday, and my BUN levels went from 15 to 6, and my BUN/Creatnine went from 16.1 to 7.1...with the normal low being (11).

Since I don't have liver problems, and some of the reasons for low BUN levels might be due to malnutrition and lack of protein in my diet...I'm just wondering since these numbers are below the normal standard ranges, should I start taking some kind of vegan protein powder to raise my BUN levels, since I don't have much of an appetite these days? I eat twice a day, with a total calorie intake of about 700 to maybe 900 calories a day. I'm 5'8, 170 pound male.

Since by blood gloucose levels are still around 130, should I avoid fruits until I have it more under control? I expected to see my EBG levels to be a little lower, but they are still pretty high, especially since I'm not consuming grains, gluten, or soy products. I'm doing something wrong here, any advice will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukofezra View Post
Hello, thanks in advance for any advice that comes my way. I was having elevated A1c issues, (6.2%), we'll call it pre-diabetes, so beginning in January, I quite quickly transitioned to a vegan diet...with Youtube being a big help. I have since lost 16 pounds, and it is very hard for me to consume more than 1000 calories a day. I had a metabolic panel done this Monday, and my BUN levels went from 15 to 6, and my BUN/Creatnine went from 16.1 to 7.1...with the normal low being (11).

Since I don't have liver problems, and some of the reasons for low BUN levels might be due to malnutrition and lack of protein in my diet...I'm just wondering since these numbers are below the normal standard ranges, should I start taking some kind of vegan protein powder to raise my BUN levels, since I don't have much of an appetite these days? I eat twice a day, with a total calorie intake of about 700 to maybe 900 calories a day. I'm 5'8, 170 pound male.

Since by blood gloucose levels are still around 130, should I avoid fruits until I have it more under control? I expected to see my EBG levels to be a little lower, but they are still pretty high, especially since I'm not consuming grains, gluten, or soy products. I'm doing something wrong here, any advice will be appreciated.

Congratulations on your good results so far!

Your calorie intake is quite low. Adult males typically need 2000 - 3000 calories per day, depending on height and activity level. And, because vegan diets typically contain a moderately-low percentage of protein, a low calorie intake means a low protein intake. This can be remedied by adding more calorie-dense foods to your diet, such as nuts and seeds (about 650 - 1000 calories per cup).

Kaiser Permanente - one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States - has published a plant-based, completely vegan diet guide: http://www.kphealthyme.com/Healthy-E...ased-Diet.aspx . Both Kaiser Permanente and the American Diabetes Association recommend whole food vegan diets for the prevention / treatment of diabetes. http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...r-vegetarians/

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 PM

Hey bukofezra,

Good for you, I have a close friend who overcame long onset diabetes with a vegan diet, its great your getting in so early.

And as for calorie intake, I agree with David, if you have a sedentary lifestyle 1500 calories would be the absolute minimum.

My advice to you is to liquify anything and everything. In the early days of becoming a vegan, I believe many people are yet to form the eating habits required to maintain sufficient/balanced nutrition. it takes time to form the recipes and ingredient knowledge before it becomes easy.

Through blending, you can effortlessly take in more good quality food and change what your blending based on what you need. Like adding nuts as David suggested above.

I am the same height and weight as you are and just as an example, here is what I eat for breakfast every day and following is an easy soup recipe that is packed with the nutrition your body needs.

You will have to google these terms to find the recipes because I can't post links:

Nutritional Vegan Breakfast Smoothie
5 Minute Vegan Carrot Soup

By adding things like this to your daily meals, it will give you the added nutrition you need.

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers,
Simon
bukofezra likes this.

Last edited by UpperSpoon; 02-16-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-15-2018, 04:21 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperSpoon View Post

Through blending, you can effortlessly take in more good quality food and change what your blending based on what you need. Like adding nuts as David suggested above.

You will have to google these terms to find the recipes because I can't post links:
The Smoothie To End All Smoothies - The Upper Spoon
Raw Carrot Soup - The Upper Spoon

By adding things like this to your daily meals, it will give you the added nutrition you need.

I hope this is of some help.

Cheers,
Simon

Agreed. The American Diabetes Association recommends fruit and vegetable smoothies for those who enjoy them. However, the ADA does not particularly recommend juice, because juice (unlike a smoothie) removes the fiber from the fruits/vegetables: http://www.diabetes.org/mfa-recipes/...-smoothie.html
UpperSpoon and bukofezra like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 02-18-2018, 09:05 AM

Kudos, I think you are on the right track. I was a pre-diabetic long term lacto-vegetarian. When I went vegan my blood sugar quickly normalized.

I'd suggest reading the works of John McDougall and Joel Fuhrman. Fat is more implicated than carbs. I eat lots of whole grains and legumes, piles of veggies, and some fruits, with very limited soy-nuts-avocado, with great results.
#6 Old 02-24-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukofezra View Post
I eat twice a day, with a total calorie intake of about 700 to maybe 900 calories a day. I'm 5'8, 170 pound male.
Hi there,

I might be able to help. My first thought is I wouldn't run to protein powders to correct a calorie issue.....that is until someone takes a look at what you are eating. You can get plenty of protein on a vegan diet and people often overestimate the amount of protein they need and where protein comes from. But yes, 700-900 is too low.

Folks gave you some resources and I'll add PCRM.com, they have recipes and good information.

If you like please post what you are eating that adds up to the 900cal/day or you can PM it to me.

Best, HappyVeg22

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page