Vegan Athletes Unite! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-31-2018, 09:05 PM

Vegan Athletes Unite!

Hey, everyone!

I'm a new-ish vegan Spartan racer and college student, studying Environmental Studies and History.

A little background: I grew up on a typical Midwestern farm. Working hard, playing in the mud, climbing trees, exploring the outdoors, and of course, eating meat from the animals that we raised. I've always had a sort of connection with animals. I have vivid memories of crying my eyes out when the animals that I had raised since they were babies were hauled away on a trailer, headed for the slaughterhouse. I couldn't bear to eat the bacon that came from my sweet pig, Daisy. To this day, two of my best friends are my Black Sumatra chicken, Sumi, and my free-range Angus cow, Kayla. Kayla had a calf last week (named Hazel), and she's adorable!

I've always known deep down that going vegan (or at least vegetarian) was the right thing to do. For a while, I pushed it off because I knew that my family would think I had lost my mind. When I got to college and started learning about the horrible impacts that the American meat industry has on the environment, I decided that it was time to make the change, and I am SO happy that I did! I feel much healthier, recover from workouts faster, and handle stress better.

The most interesting part about becoming vegan has been the social aspect. At the cafeteria, I get asked at least once a week, "are you vegetarian?" This doesn't bother me, I have good reasons (environmental, health, and ethical reasons), and it's a way to spread the word about living without meat. The hard part about this comes when I want to get pizza with friends (I can't) or I go to someone's house and they're not serving anything that's vegan (such as roast with buttered mashed potatoes). Any suggestions on how I can handle these situations without ruining my college social life? That said, it's hard to have much of a social life when I'm always in class, at work, in the gym, or studying, but my friendships are still important to me and I don't want to be a pain for someone!

Also, I'd love to chat with any other vegan/vegetarian athletes out there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2018, 06:32 PM

Amen brother, amen
#3 Old 02-01-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidyLittlePea View Post
Amen brother, amen
Haha, thanks, dude!

By the way, I'd love to hear from any other vegans, not only athletes. Your stories matter!

--- Restoring God's creation through environmental stewardship. --- Active Spartan race competitor, traveler, and animal lover! ---
Instagram: @the_forest_calls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-04-2018, 06:15 AM

I'm not vegan, but I am a vegetarian athlete (equestrian)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#5 Old 02-08-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedbydesiign View Post
I'm not vegan, but I am a vegetarian athlete (equestrian)
Vegetarian and horses? That sounds amazing! What events do you participate in?

--- Restoring God's creation through environmental stewardship. --- Active Spartan race competitor, traveler, and animal lover! ---
Instagram: @the_forest_calls
#6 Old 02-08-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_forest_Calls View Post
Vegetarian and horses? That sounds amazing! What events do you participate in?

I compete internationally in show jumping and harness racing ^-^ Most people in the racing industry here in Norway treat their horses well, it's definitely nothing like the callous gallop racing industry. My horses are the most spoiled fatties I know XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#7 Old 02-08-2018, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan dyslexics, Untie!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page