Back to Veg Life in 2018 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RoxKijo

#1 Old 12-28-2017, 06:21 PM

Back to Veg Life in 2018

Hi all. I'm new to posting but have read this forum a lot. I did the 30 day Vegan challenge awhile back and loved it. I've been eating so awfully for the past year or so and I'm just ready to be done. I want to lose weight, feel better, and just make better choices. I do tend to do better with lower carbs (so I was doing keto diet) but I don't feel well eating all that meat and heavy dairy and stuff. So I'm going back to vegetarianism in the new year for good! So excited. I'm going to start out strict vegetarian and vegan as much as possible and finally the goal is to pretty much be vegan.

Hope everyone is having a great Holiday season and Happy healthy New Year!
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-30-2017, 06:55 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxKijo View Post
Hi all. I'm new to posting but have read this forum a lot. I did the 30 day Vegan challenge awhile back and loved it. I've been eating so awfully for the past year or so and I'm just ready to be done. I want to lose weight, feel better, and just make better choices. I do tend to do better with lower carbs (so I was doing keto diet) but I don't feel well eating all that meat and heavy dairy and stuff. So I'm going back to vegetarianism in the new year for good! So excited. I'm going to start out strict vegetarian and vegan as much as possible and finally the goal is to pretty much be vegan.

Hope everyone is having a great Holiday season and Happy healthy New Year!

Hi RoxKijo, and welcome aboard!

Although no mainstream vegetarian organization recommends high-fat, low-carbohydrate diets, there are some individual vegetarian physicians who recommend them. Dr. Joel Fuhrman, in particular, recommends higher-fat variants of vegan diets.

What has been your experience with higher-carbohydrate diets? Were you eating high-fiber, high-carbohydrate foods, like beans, lentils, and intact whole grains?

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 12-30-2017 at 07:05 PM.
#3 Old 12-31-2017, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to Veggieboards, glad you joined us!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-01-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Hi RoxKijo, and welcome aboard!

Although no mainstream vegetarian organization recommends high-fat, low-carbohydrate diets, there are some individual vegetarian physicians who recommend them. Dr. Joel Fuhrman, in particular, recommends higher-fat variants of vegan diets.

What has been your experience with higher-carbohydrate diets? Were you eating high-fiber, high-carbohydrate foods, like beans, lentils, and intact whole grains?
When I was eating the higher carb meals I still wasn't eating a ton of sugar and stuff, since I honestly am not a fan of fruit. I just seem to lose weight better and keep it off better with the lower carb diets. I don't mind the healthier carbs, and I prefer to eat the healthier fats, like cooking with a little coconut or avocado oil, and I eat about a half an avocado a day most days. I think with getting back into this way of life I'll lose excess weight and see huge overall health improvements since it really does eliminate a lot of junk, processed foods from my diet. I don't binge on french fries and oreos and stuff like that. I do eat brown rice, whole wheat or grain breads, lentils...I like stuff like that. I love Boca vegan burgers and eat those all the time too lol.

I know I'll have to find a good balance between fats, carbs, and everything else. I'll check out more of Dr. Fuhrman's information too! I just had a lot of stomach issues in 2017 and ended up spending a lot of time in the hospital and my gallbladder went bad too. And I really do feel crappy eating tons of meat and dairy, it doesn't sit well with me and now after all that it is probably worse. I am happy eating veggies and healthier grains and substitutes. Sometimes I'll even eat pasta. I know I should really try to incorporate fruit, I'll work on that one haha!
#5 Old 01-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxKijo View Post
When I was eating the higher carb meals I still wasn't eating a ton of sugar and stuff, since I honestly am not a fan of fruit. I just seem to lose weight better and keep it off better with the lower carb diets. I don't mind the healthier carbs, and I prefer to eat the healthier fats, like cooking with a little coconut or avocado oil, and I eat about a half an avocado a day most days. I think with getting back into this way of life I'll lose excess weight and see huge overall health improvements since it really does eliminate a lot of junk, processed foods from my diet. I don't binge on french fries and oreos and stuff like that. I do eat brown rice, whole wheat or grain breads, lentils...I like stuff like that. I love Boca vegan burgers and eat those all the time too lol.

I know I'll have to find a good balance between fats, carbs, and everything else. I'll check out more of Dr. Fuhrman's information too! I just had a lot of stomach issues in 2017 and ended up spending a lot of time in the hospital and my gallbladder went bad too. And I really do feel crappy eating tons of meat and dairy, it doesn't sit well with me and now after all that it is probably worse. I am happy eating veggies and healthier grains and substitutes. Sometimes I'll even eat pasta. I know I should really try to incorporate fruit, I'll work on that one haha!

Hi RoxKijo,

It's great to hear that you've found dietary patterns that have helped you to approach a good weight!

It sounds like you are working with some fairly serious health issues. Have you considered planning your diet with the help of a Registered Dietitian? They will work with you and your physician to help you plan a satisfying diet that will help you address your specific medical issues.

If your physician can refer you to a Registered Dietitian, then it may be covered by your health insurance, since you are working to improve your health condition.

If your physician can't refer you to a Registered Dietitian, you can find a local one through the websites below:

In the United States, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: http://www.eatright.org . Just click on the "Find an Expert" button, located in the upper-right-hand portion of the webpage.

In the U.K., you can find a local Registered Dietitian on the Freelance Dietitians website: http://www.freelancedietitians.org/

In New Zealand, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the Dietitians New Zealand website: http://dietitians.org.nz/find-a-dietitian/

In Australia, you can find a local Accredited Practising Dietitian through the Dietitians Association of Australia: https://daa.asn.au/find-an-apd/

In Canada, you can find a local Registered Dietitian at the Dietitians of Canada website: http://www.dietitians.ca/Find-a-Dietitian.aspx .

In the Nederlands, you can find a local Registered Dietitian at http://www.nvdietist.nl/ .

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 01-01-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page