9Likes
  • 5 Post By vegin67
  • 1 Post By Knowtions In Motion
  • 1 Post By BlueMts
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By Capstan

#1 Old 07-22-2017, 03:38 PM

Veg since 1967

I never liked the taste of meat. I was traumatized at about 3 or 4. I had had a cut on my arm or leg, and pulled it apart to look at the inside. I asked a butcher what the red stuff was behind the glass, as it looked similar to the inside of my cut, and he pointed to a cow on the wall. I realized, horrified, that I had eaten that, and I couldn't get it back out. I remember falling to the floor screaming, probably kicking, too. My mom, who was an Adele Davis devotee since before my conception, had to drag me out of the butcher shop, than constantly trick me and work at getting me to eat meat, for many, many years until she became a vegetarian in 68 (she passed in 94). As soon as I found out you could be a vegetarian and still be healthy, I quit eating meat and never looked back. I was 16, in 1967, the summer of love, living a few blocks from the Haight Ashbury in San Francisco and moved to Chicago in that September. I was vegan a few times over the years, since reading Diet for a New America when it was first published, but was always hungry. I included shellfish off and on through the years, and even some fish in restaurants. I thought I needed 'some' animal protein to be healthy, and full. Then I saw the movie, What The Health last month, streaming on Netflix, and it pushed me permanently into veganism as of 6/17/17, although I've been 98%, or mostly vegan for many years, so it was an easy switch, and I've learned to just eat a lot more to be full. My husband, who has been pescetarian since we got back together in 1999, is morphing into being a vegan since watching that movie. I have never felt this determined before, no matter what, I am committed. So many people's lives revolve around meat, the supermarket ads, the restaurant menus, the endless barbeques, the food stands at events, the assumption that everyone loves meat. I've never understood how someone could want to eat meat, it's not part of my nature. I sometimes ask myself what would fairies eat, as I feel maybe it's just that I'm fairy, an alien, or ? as I'm not, and never was drawn to it, always, always felt it was gross. My health is amazing for my age, (66), I look much younger than most at this age also, I'll try to upload a recent picture. I've tried to eat at least 50% raw fruits and vegetables, every day of these past 50 years, I was even raw vegan for a few years in the early 90s. Sorry for the long post. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2017, 04:57 PM
Emma JC

welcome and congrats for grokking What the Health and choosing to go vegan!

Emma JC

-----
Whole Food Plant-Based
for the animals, for the environment and for health (plus it's delicious)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#3 Old 07-22-2017, 05:46 PM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Greetings, and welcome to the community.
Emma JC likes this.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-22-2017, 10:50 PM
person

hello and welcome.
Emma JC likes this.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#5 Old 07-22-2017, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi and welcome. I think I'm jealous of you.
Emma JC likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 07-23-2017, 06:23 AM
Impeach the gangster

Hi vegin. You and I are the same age, but you went meat-free about 25-years ahead of me. I wish I'd had your good sense. I went veggie in '92 and vegan in '95. You ask if you're fairy or alien.... maybe you're just angelic? Welcome aboard!
Emma JC likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page