Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By theend
  • 2 Post By Ferncat
  • 1 Post By Spudulika

#1 Old 05-12-2017, 04:36 AM

Hi All!!

How are you doing?

Not really much to say. Quite amazed how things go around. When I started with it, it was considerably less accepted and widespread.. at least where i live
Spudulika likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2017, 08:17 AM

Hi!
Doing just fine. And you?

Just to get the conversation going...

What is the biggest most positive change that you have noticed since you started?
How has your eating style changed since you started?
What is your favorite thing to eat?
#3 Old 05-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi TheEnd,
Welcome to Veggieboards.
Interesting comments, can you tell us what it was like where you are when you started?
BlueMts likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferncat View Post
Hi!
Doing just fine. And you?

Just to get the conversation going...

What is the biggest most positive change that you have noticed since you started?
How has your eating style changed since you started?
What is your favorite thing to eat?
I'm fine, thanks

Well, I think it's hard to pinpoint it, as there are many factors impacting your health and the way you feel. I started as a teenage, and I'm in my 30's now. As other, I had various different stages in my personal life... But, generally, I tend spend more time and energy to understand what I'm eating. I feel lighter. I also reduced the flour consumption which clearly heavy on me (unless toasted, I think)
I come from a family that non-meat foods are common, diverse and tasty (probably related to the middle eastern kitchen), so my eating habits are quite the same, except I added a lot of Tofu, seitan and the foods you can make with them being main components

Speaking of which, I do feel that in many cases, vegan activists tend to talk less about the great need to up your game in the kitchen.. you can't just remove meat, eggs and stuff and eat pasta, sweats and stuff like that all day, and I see it quite too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
Hi TheEnd,
Welcome to Veggieboards.
Interesting comments, can you tell us what it was like where you are when you started?
Well, locally, 16 years ago you'd be a lot more laughed at, sometimes getting some more violent action (as activist). You know what's it like probably. Families and friends could see you as nuts and annoyance. I don't think it was hard in my case at all, even on the contrary in recent years, but I know many who had it harder on them.
People would ask you stupid questions (like how do you live only on lettuce) and stuff like that.
Today, (again, locally), there is quite a huge vegan movement. That's on the public agenda, people know more on veganism, they know more famous/healthy/"normal" people (yak, don't like how this word is being used, but nonetheless). People understand that food can be tasty and nutritious enough.

I think there also a change in the world, if I read the signs correctly

btw, do you know this movie?
had-doc.com

It's on Ohad, a many years die-hard vegan activist.
#5 Old 05-12-2017, 11:22 PM
person

Hi

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#6 Old 05-13-2017, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome! Yes, vegan and vegetarian are both much more familiar words to people than they once were. And plant based products and menu options are exploding all over the place! My small city now has it's first all vegan cafe! I NEVER thought that would happen here lol.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 05-13-2017, 04:52 AM

Thanks all!

I guess my previous reply hasn't been posted for some reason

For me, it's hard to pinpoint the changes. I started as a teenager (in my 30s now0, and has some different stages in my life, physically and mentally (like many people). At least one good thing is that I take more notice of what I eat, as you need to be more aware. Many new vegans simply remove the old world food and that's all - that's not good and I feel activists sometimes tend to talk less about the need to be a lot more aware and precise with your food, at least for some people (as we all different)

Spudulika, locally, 16 years ago you'd be laughed at a lot more, probably seen mostly as a provocative, confused person, maybe a bit nuts. Sometimes there was violence too (if you went on the street to participate in vegan awareness activities). The worst part for some (not for me), was perhaps the family reaction. Did you the "Life according to Ohad" movie? that's local relatively.
Nowadays, not only there is more awareness to what veganism is, you are less laughed at and lots of people are becoming vegan. Not sure what happened, but there was a boom 4-6 years ago here. People talk about it and consider it. Vegan products are much more common and cheaper. Luckily, I come from a kitchen that used meat, but vegan foods are more or less the usual, diverse and tasty with no relation to the movement. So I'm in a good position.
I did add Tofu and Seitan to my foods, that's most of it.

Naturebound, same here. Still very expensive (soy milk is ~95% water and barely anything beyond texture,and still..)

Nonetheless, I really have to get into shape.. tons of hour on the machine :\
#8 Old 05-14-2017, 12:47 AM

Hi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page