Lonely Veggie from South Dakota - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Beginner

Hello. I am new to vegetarianism, I just made the switch at the beginning of the month. I did so mostly for animal rights reasons. I am currently still eating some fish, but I plan on phasing this out too.

My boyfriend and I have been eating very little meat in our diet for two years, but mostly because it was so expensive. I have a lot of veg friends, who chose this for varying reasons. But they only helped mildly in my decision. In the past I just thought it would be too hard, because the truth is I like meat a lot. It has been hard. I am considering the possibility of eating a range turkey for thanksgiving, once in awhile meat coming from humane farms. But yet this isn't consistent with how I feel, and the reasons I want to commit to a vegetarian diet.

As you can see, I am bit confused about all the contradicting thoughts I find in my head, and also in my stomach. Hopefully, I can stay strong and continue with a commitment to respect all life, a choice I know is right in my heart and head (even if now and then my stomach growls.)

If anyone reads my long ramble, and knows any veggies from SD, especially central ( I am in Pierre), please connect us. For anyone who knows anything about SD, its kind of a lonely place to be a veggie, considering we have highway signs that say "South Dakotans dislike all animal activism" and other BS like that. I did check out the local forums already, and it looks like no one from SD has posted there since last year. I will keep combing the sight for any sign of SD veggies. Thanks for having this great site.

PS If someone can tell me why I my IMG option is turned off and how to turn on or rules on this, PM me or something. Maybe it is just too late in the evening and I'm tired, but I can't seem to find the basic rules of the site section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2004, 08:11 AM

Welcome, azul! Sadly, I can't refer you to any veg. pals in SD.

Regarding Private Messaging..you can fix this lickety split. Near the top of any page, click on "User CP". On the left side of the next page, there is a box called "Control Panel" Click on "edit options". On the subsequent page, scroll down a bit and you will find the options for Private Messaging.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 10-02-2004, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB!

Here's tha rulez that you were looking for, I believe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi azul...so glad to have you here. I wish I was closer! I'm in the Twin Cities area, about 8 hours east of you.

Whoah..the road signs you described are sad

I encourage you to read Food Revolution or Diet For a New America by John Robbins. His books really helped me through my contradicting thoughts about fish and free range turkey on Thanksgiving.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey to becoming vegetarain.
#5 Old 10-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Administrator

I think she means her ability to put images into posts. You're not able to. It's a courtesy to our members on dialup. You can attach images to your post. Here are instructions on how to do it...

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...7&postcount=15

If that's still not what you needed let us know. Welcome to VB!

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#6 Old 10-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB. I know absolutely nothing about technical stuff, so I can't offer any advice.
#7 Old 10-03-2004, 12:37 AM

Welcome
#8 Old 10-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey I am from Rapid City! It is difficult being a vegetarian in SD. If you have any questions PM me.

~Starr
#9 Old 10-04-2004, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

If you get the chance, head over to Minneapolis, visit the Ecopolitain and the Wedge.
#10 Old 10-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#11 Old 10-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the great welcome. I meant about images, so thanks for the info Michael.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page