I'm a middle aged beginner! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Downonthisearth

#1 Old 07-30-2016, 04:16 PM

I'm a middle aged beginner!

Hello all, I am definately a newbie in the world of vegetarianism and veganism! (Those may not even be real words!) I have a wonderful wife and three girls. Both my parents died before I had a family, so I would really like to be around for my grandchildren someday. This desire lead me to investigate having a healthy lifestyle. I started with a documentary called "The Perfect Human Diet" Yeah, that one about the Paleo diet! Something about it did not feel right to me, and it ended up just being an excuse to do nothing! Recently, I found "Forks over Knives." It struck a cord with me big time! I have since discovered that the Vegan lifestyle has three benefits. One - Health. Two - Environmental and third - it saves innocent animals! You will see me posting more on the support forums because I have some obstacles standing in my way that I hope others here will be able to help me navigate.
LedBoots and Thalassa like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-30-2016, 04:22 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Yay! Hi and welcome. What kinds of foods do you like, easy prep, lunches on the go, breakfast stuff? We have substitutes
#3 Old 07-30-2016, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downonthisearth View Post
Hello all, I am definately a newbie in the world of vegetarianism and veganism! (Those may not even be real words!) I have a wonderful wife and three girls. Both my parents died before I had a family, so I would really like to be around for my grandchildren someday. This desire lead me to investigate having a healthy lifestyle. I started with a documentary called "The Perfect Human Diet" Yeah, that one about the Paleo diet! Something about it did not feel right to me, and it ended up just being an excuse to do nothing! Recently, I found "Forks over Knives." It struck a cord with me big time! I have since discovered that the Vegan lifestyle has three benefits. One - Health. Two - Environmental and third - it saves innocent animals! You will see me posting more on the support forums because I have some obstacles standing in my way that I hope others here will be able to help me navigate.
Welcome, forks over knives has a cookbook.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-30-2016, 07:06 PM
Bandit

Hi! Welcome!

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#5 Old 07-31-2016, 03:28 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.

Last edited by @rno; 07-31-2016 at 03:35 AM.
#6 Old 07-31-2016, 04:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

I'm not sure what "middle aged" is defined as nowadays lol, but I went vegan overnight from omni in February 2011 when I was 38 years old (I am 44 now) and I have been very successful. I've met some vegans at local vegan Meetups that went vegan in their fifties and have done very well also.

I hope to see you around the boards! Best wishes!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 07-31-2016, 01:40 PM

Thanks all, glad to be here! I have been having fun searching recipes and getting into the mindset of this new lifestyle. In many ways it is very alien, yet so natural too, which is why I am so excited to get to it. I enjoy cooking, so having an excuse to try new recipes is fun for me. I had some wonderful Vegan Pancakes today where I found the recipe on Youtube. (Sorry, I don't remember the source!) I think I will get busy searching the forums here. Any recommendations for good posts about transitioning?
#8 Old 08-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^ We have two subforums about people transitioning to vegetarianism and/or veganism.

I went veg primarily for animal-welfare reasons... but diabetes and cardiovascular disease both run in my family, and it seems a lot of the nonvegetarian or nonvegan foods I'd be tempted to eat would NOT be good for my welfare either.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page