How to become a vegetarian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-06-2016, 03:56 AM
P4K

How to become a vegetarian?

Hey there so I'm a 22 year old guy and I've ate meat my entire life and everyone around me has also and it was a pretty big thing instilled into me growing up but I always felt kinda guilty about it because I know how the animals are treated and stuff, the health aspect of meat being bad for you or whatever that I've heard from vegans/vegetarians doesn't really bother me, I love meat but I always feel guilty eating chicken, beef ect, I cut back on eating pork when I was 20 but still eat it occasionally. I never really liked vegans or vegetarians cause generally they always struck me as annoying hippies (lol no offense) but I really just wanna stop eating meat for my own moral reasons (except fish, I dont really see the problem with eating fish).

The problem is that I'm 6,3 and 150> pounds so obvs pretty skinny. I always procrastinated saying that once I'm 170 I'll go vegetarian, but I want to do it now cause I really don't wanna contribute anymore to the suffering of animals. I want to start a workout routine and reach 175 pounds by the end of this year but I don't know how I can do this without eating meat.

I'm currently living in thailand and the meals here revolve around meat (luckily theres a lot of fish meals), but I can't eat fish 24/7 and I am a complete noob when it comes to any health related stuff so I don't know how much my protien/fat intake needs to be ect.

Can someone give me a legit list of a proper food pyramid or w.e its called and if someone could suggest what foods I could be eating and also are protein shakes okay? Like I said here in thailand its hard to avoid meat but if someone can give me a big list of other foods I can eat and their uses I'd appreciate it.

**also a side question, is there anything wrong with eating fish? Like tuna salmon ect...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2016, 05:15 AM
Beginner

Hi P4K

I'm surprised you find it difficult being veggie in Thailand - I actually became a vegetarian for the first time when I was travelling there approx 25 years ago. Sadly I gradually went back to meat eating once back in the UK - a major regret of mine

Fish, I'm afraid, is not a vegetable and therefore forms no part of a vegetarian diet. You would be more properly described as a pescetarian.

There's quite a lot wrong with eating fish, both ethically and environmentally. If you do a search of this site you should find some previous discussions about it. This article gives an overview of both:

https://www.navs-online.org/animal_i...bledwaters.php

Happy Cow is a good site for finding veggie foods (shops and restaurants). It currently has over 700 listings for Thailand.

https://www.happycow.net/asia/thailand/
#3 Old 06-06-2016, 05:18 AM
Beginner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page